Home > Puma (Tdci) > Panel Mount Jump Start kit from Mobile Centre
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
WhiskyJackR

United Kingdom 
Panel Mount Jump Start kit from Mobile Centre
A questions from a relative newbie.

I've purchased one of these panel mount jump start kits from mobile centre for my 2013 Defender Station Wagon which I plan to install on the front of the passenger side seat box. It's an essential add for me as with my business I am asked fairly often to provide a jump start to distressed campers. I have a couple of basic questions which I am sure you guys can answer in a flash Smile

1. For the connection to the positive terminal of the battery can I connect it on top of the battery clamp on one of the two terminals there (there are two existing cables attached here on the factory loom). Or do I need to connect it down below underneath the Mega Fuse?

2. For the ground - connection. Is there a way to simply attach this to the negative clamp on the battery? Is this the best location? The cables I have in hand have an M10 ring terminal on one end and an M8 ring terminal on the other and are 25mm sq.

3. I need to buy a step bit to drill out the two 35mm holes on the seat box. Any recommendations, something reasonably priced and of reasonable quality.

Thanks Very Happy
Post #400338 19th Feb 2015 5:59pm
Macpaul

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Loire Blue
Others on here may well be able to answer, but you can also call Tim, boss of MobileCentre, who is an expert on pretty much everything he sells and on Land Rover electrics. 2003 Td5 110 Hardtop
Now a 2013 110 USW too.
Post #400340 19th Feb 2015 6:07pm
WhiskyJackR

United Kingdom 
Thanks Mac Paul, I have an e-mail in to Mobile Centre on this subject and I am planning to give them a call. Just thought it was worth shot here as I am guessing others have already done the install. Thanks again Smile
Post #400344 19th Feb 2015 6:27pm
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
I had the jump kit with Anderson connector on passenger batt box, but found it a pain in the bum. On the new truck I've put it under the bonnet, and find this to be much better, if I was using a lot I would mount on my front bumper.

I used a battery isolator on the battery box to control, and took the negative from the main earth cable to chassis earthing point, which is just outside the battery box.

Andy
Post #400489 20th Feb 2015 9:25am
WhiskyJackR

United Kingdom 
Thanks for the feedback Andy, very much appreciated.

For the positive feed did you take that straight of the top of the battery or did you take it off after the mega fuse?
Post #400499 20th Feb 2015 10:09am
landy andy

Before I think. But don't think it will matter either way. On old setup (Td5) I did not have a mega fuse.

Can check later for you if you wish.
Post #400507 20th Feb 2015 10:36am
landy andy

Yep. Power taken before fuse, then to isolator, then to Anderson connector.
Post #400514 20th Feb 2015 11:11am
walfy

Macpaul wrote:
Others on here may well be able to answer, but you can also call Tim, boss of MobileCentre, who is an expert on pretty much everything he sells and on Land Rover electrics.

I tried this the other day when I had a query about some bits that I ordered. Called Mobile Centre, asked for Tim. But he was on the other line so the member of staff asked me what I wanted to know. So I gave him the full account. His response after all that was he didn't know. And asked me to call back in 15 mins when Tim was free.
Surely they should of been calling me back?? Or have I got that wrong. It's not as though I was a random bloke after some free advice, I had spent a chunk of money on some of their products and was after some confirmation.
I have had email chats with Tim before and he is more than helpful, perhaps he should invest in some training for his sales/tech staff??

In the end i just called a mate who had fitted the kit and asked his opinion. As it turns out I had the right idea so alls well that ends well 110 D250 SE HT
110 USW SOLD
RRE HSE Dynamic Gone, wife killed it
VOLVO XC60 R Dynamic with some toys

Polaris RZR 900XP SOLD
Post #400525 20th Feb 2015 11:45am
WhiskyJackR

United Kingdom 
Its all good now Thumbs Up

I called and had a chat with Tim. I am now clear on where and how to make the connections. Moreover Tim is fabricating the bespoke leads for me as I don't have any gear here to work on heavy cables.

Also thanks to Landy Andy Smile Your feedback was spot on.
Post #401294 22nd Feb 2015 11:10pm
AndrewS

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 SW Rimini Red
I am after a flush panel mount anderson connector does such a thing exist? or do you simply bolt an anderson connector to where ever you want it. I can see that there are panel mount jump start kits, but these look to be two brass knobs and nothing to do with the anderson fitting. 130's have feeling's as well you know Smile
Post #401337 23rd Feb 2015 8:43am
landy andy

Click image to enlarge

Mine
Post #401344 23rd Feb 2015 9:15am
leeds

United Kingdom 
AndrewS wrote:
I am after a flush panel mount anderson connector does such a thing exist? or do you simply bolt an anderson connector to where ever you want it. I can see that there are panel mount jump start kits, but these look to be two brass knobs and nothing to do with the anderson fitting.

Someone does a right angle bracket which picks up the two bolt holes for the Anderson handle to attach the connector to the bracket.

Not sure how flush the front of the Anderson connector will be with the panel front.

Currently I am struggling to remember website address, but will have a look later and see if I can put a photo up.

Brendan
Post #401348 23rd Feb 2015 9:34am
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Flush mounts here:

https://www.autoelec.com.au/ssl/public_aut...amp;cat=28

although not quite my definition of flush!

There can be quite a degree of force to engage/disengage the larger Anderson connectors - so you would have to ensure the panel the mount was fixed to was up to the task. I don't think a standard defender wing, for example, would be.

Mounting under the bonnet, in the way shown above, allows you to grab both connectors to steady when pushing/pulling as well as keeping it out of the weather and mischievious hands.
Post #401354 23rd Feb 2015 10:07am
VeeTee

Netherlands 
This may be of interest?

Cheers, Vincent
1959 Polynorm 1/4 Ton Trailer, Olive Drab Green (sold)
1970 M416 Military Trailer (Camping Trailer Conversion), Epsom Green (sold)
1975 Series III 88 V6, Light Green (sadly sold)
1996 Defender 110 CSW 300 Tdi, Epsom Green (sold)
2000 Freelander 1 TD4 3-drs, Silver (sold)
2006 Freelander 1 TD4 5-drs Facelift Automatic, Tonga Green (sold)

MySite
Post #401357 23rd Feb 2015 10:14am
PaulMc

United Kingdom 1989 Defender 110 2.5 TD HT Arles Blue
AndrewS wrote:
I am after a flush panel mount anderson connector does such a thing exist? or do you simply bolt an anderson connector to where ever you want it. I can see that there are panel mount jump start kits, but these look to be two brass knobs and nothing to do with the anderson fitting.

These panel mounts are available on eBay for the SB50 and SB175 Anderson connectors.

They're not flush - but, you could modify or space-off this bracket (or make something similar) to mount the connector further back into the panel -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/130786095685

Click image to enlarge

They also do mounts like this, for the SB50, SB175 and SB350 Anderson connectors -

Click image to enlarge

. Paul.
1989 Arles Blue 2.5TD 110 Hardtop
1999 Epsom Green Discovery II 4.0 V8i 'XS'
Post #401382 23rd Feb 2015 1:13pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>