Home > Puma (Tdci) > Dash access & wiring
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
bm52

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Havana
Dash access & wiring
Hi there,
on Saturday i'm going to wire in a sub-woofer to get a better balanced sound.
Question - assuming i can get the radio out are there any problems i should be aware of?
I hope i can feed the live wire from the radio behind the dash and then under the carpet to the woofer which i will put behind the cubby box. i was also going to 'splice' into the front speaker wires and also run them under the carpet.

any experience / advice would be really welcome.

thanks BM52
Post #39643 2nd Sep 2010 11:14pm
Paul_1978

England 2004 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Zermatt Silver
Usually an amp for a sub system has quite a large supply, 20 - 30A the supply to the radio will be less than this, check what size fuses etc are required.

Normally the supply is taken from the battery and a switched live comes from the radio to turn the amp on/off via its own internal relay.

The input to an amp on the sound side in normally via two phono leads, this output from the radio is normally a smaller output than the speakers, if speaker power is delivered into the amp the front end amplifier could fail due to being over driven and deliver poor quality sound.

Again, check the radio, i doubt that a factory fitted radio will have RCA output for the amp.

Check out this website....
http://www.caraudiohelp.com/how_to_install...ar_amp.htm
Post #39647 3rd Sep 2010 6:22am
AndrewS

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 SW Rimini Red
What head set are you using Question 130's have feeling's as well you know Smile
Post #39651 3rd Sep 2010 8:45am
diesel_jim

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 Td5 SW Epsom Green
Some amps however, have phono in, an "speaker" in, where you piggyback off of the rear mid range speakers, and the amp has a low gain so the sub doesn't overmodulate the sound (Halford sell complete sub boxes with amps built in with both phono and speaker inputs on them for not too much money)

Granted, the "better" way is to have a head unit with phono out and adjust the sub amp accordingly (adjust it to the lower frequencies) but i think the "speaker" inputs will give much of the same sound.

funnily enough, i've just fitted a 12" sub to the 110. bought a speaker box (from halford again), only £29.99 for a 15mm carpeted MDF box... couldn't even buy a sheet of wood for that, let alone faff about glueing it together.

sounds very nice now, along with some (cheap, £9.99) tweeters from maplins up in the front headlining, i can actually hear what music is coming out!

As a side note, i wouldn't run any cables "under the carpet"... it's a recipe for hassle later on down the road....

you might need to get your gearbox out (clutch job etc) and the cables will be in the way.

or you go through a muddy stream/puddle; gritty water gets washed into the cab and under the carpet. you dry it out, but the grit is still there, being trodden in by peoples feet, which will eventually grind its way into the cable and possibly damage the cores.

plus, it's just plain untidy! Whistle Whistle

Far better to spend some time running the cables back through the bulkhead, up the A pillar and along the roof under the trim.
Post #39658 3rd Sep 2010 10:04am
dgardel

Italy 
I have this one

Click image to enlarge

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  Discovery 5 td6 HSE Stornoway Gray Outback Engineering Limited Edition

IID Pro MV License
Post #39679 3rd Sep 2010 2:16pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
bm52

dgardel wrote:
I have this one

Click image to enlarge

if that is the Alpine one then it is the same as the one i am fitting.

how on earth did you get the radio out, mine is stuck fast in there?

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  BM52
Post #39702 3rd Sep 2010 5:25pm
Markh

England 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
Is it the standard CD radio? I bought a removal tool from Halfords (a pair of spikes) push in on both sides to engage and then pulls out. Tight but came out ok. I think I've read of a few people using more Home made methods but right tool for the job and all that.

Once pulled out everything is as you'd expect it, standard DIN wiring, which on mine was very tight as there was not alot of slack on the cables. Aerial cable has an adapter on the end which you may or may not need dependent on your new head unit... "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the things you did..."
Post #39715 3rd Sep 2010 8:47pm
bm52

got the b*gger out now, phew.

as said standard dins.

all i need is the new radio [probably go Alpine] and then get wiring.

i had a good look a the A pillar etc and as mentioned above i'll try and keep the wires off the floor.

famous last words but hopefully a straightforward job now, i hope the head unit i buy ha sthe pre-outs for the woofer cables, don't really want to try and splice into the speaker wires.

going to visit my local ICE shop tomorrow who also regularly fit kit to LRs so they should know what they are doing. BM52
Post #39722 3rd Sep 2010 9:12pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
[quote="Markh"]Is it the standard CD radio? I bought a removal tool from Halfords (a pair of spikes) push in on both sides to engage and then pulls out. Tight but came out ok. I think I've read of a few people using more Home made methods but right tool for the job and all that.

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
Yes, I personally tried all sorts of home made "tools" never worth it you can scratch the dash ect and also damage the standard radio locking mechanism. Just get your DIN tool and it'll slide out just like that. Also although my setup was not with an amp (i had DVD system) I would buy a LR defender 2007 > to DIN or your head unit make prewired harness just plug and play and NOT cut any wires at all. Once all that is set up and working perfectly the wire in your amp directly to the battery. Good luck Thumbs Up
Post #39723 3rd Sep 2010 9:13pm
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
Just as a point - ive seen dealers running spotlight and similar cables under the carpet...madness in my mind - lots of other ways round and through - although from the dash its a little harder when going outside...although ive done that one too Mike
Post #39769 4th Sep 2010 9:36am
Paul_1978

England 2004 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Zermatt Silver
What do you think is the best way to get from the battery to the dash board, ive had a quick look and looks hard work!?
Post #39786 4th Sep 2010 11:40am
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
It is - i spent hours plumbing cable from it - joining them into the look and running them to the stereo.

Got about 3 in there - could run another few with patient...ill say this is without creating or disturbing anything Mike
Post #39787 4th Sep 2010 11:48am
bm52

all done.

binned the stock radio.
installed a Kenwood with MP3 and USB connections on the front
installed new kenwood speakers 2 weeks ago
installed the Alpine sub woofer today as well

massive massive difference Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy BM52
Post #39798 4th Sep 2010 6:00pm
bpman

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
sounds great Rolling with laughter

Pictures please ...
Post #39800 4th Sep 2010 6:10pm
bm52

Hope this works, 1st time i have tried to add photos!

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
[/img]

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  BM52
Post #39807 4th Sep 2010 7:32pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>