Home > Puma (Tdci) > 2008 puma with intermittent starting problems
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
David.fer

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Tonga Green
2008 puma with intermittent starting problems
Can Anyone please help!

I have a 08 puma that sometimes will fire up for a second and immediately cuts out, when I try again the engine barely cranks and then after that it refuses to do anything. Somtimes it will start after a few hours. Please see video http://m.youtube.com/results?q=defender%20...s&sm=3

The problem seems to occur after wet weather. The rover is basic spec and has no imobiliser or key fob, I have however seen it has a 10as unit and a passive coil around the ignition. The engine bump starts no problem and runs fine. no problems come up on the diagnostics.

This is a severe pain in the backside and if anyone can help I will be most grateful.
Post #373412 22nd Nov 2014 7:39am
Fifth Horseman

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Do you have a water leak around the windscreen or find water in the drivers footwell after it has been raining? If so it is likely that the 10 AS unit is getting wet. Check the connectors on it for corrosion and clean if necessary. If this does not solve the problem then a new unit may be required due to internal water damage. Some have made a water shield for the 10AS with plastic sheet to prevent a reoccurrence of this.

The 10AS is used for the immobiliser function and its possible that due to problems in the past the settings have been disabled.
Post #373414 22nd Nov 2014 8:13am
carrotbay

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 BMW M57 3.0 Diesel XS CSW Auto Santorini Black
Hi

I have this problem all the time. It seems to be a problem with the immobiliser.

I find that if I stay in the Landy with all doors closed, lock on the key fob, wait until the alarm light stops flashing quickly (about 20 seconds), unlock and then it will start fine.

Does it work for you?

Phil. 2008 Defender 110 XS SW - M57N2 / 6HP28X
Post #373448 22nd Nov 2014 12:47pm
Lorryman100

I doubt it is the 10AS. If it was an issue with the immobiliser it would not crank nor would it bump start everytime. Try a relative compression test, I would be looking at the amperage to see if it drops away completely. Make sure the starter motor electrical connections are secure and check the cabling and let us know how you got on.
Post #373450 22nd Nov 2014 1:03pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
David.fer

Quote:
Hi 

I have this problem all the time. It seems to be a problem with the immobiliser. 

I find that if I stay in the Landy with all doors closed, lock on the key fob, wait until the alarm light stops flashing quickly (about 20 seconds), unlock and then it will start fine. 

Does it work for you?

This does not work for me unfortunately. The rover does not have central locking and no fob or alarm.
Post #373451 22nd Nov 2014 1:09pm
munch90

England 
all cars had to have some form of imoblizer fitted after 1st oct 98 , so would say yours should have one fitted , as you say there is a as10 unit and a barrel coil fitted otherwise why bother fitting it

I would say some how the imobilizer has either been programmed out or there is a chipped fob tucked up under the dash somewhere or something

starting then cutting out within a couple seconds is 99.9% that the as10 and engine ecu are not commucating propley or maybe getting big voltage drop that's making a unit lose power

as for not cranking right after sounds more like a connection problem , dodgy earth , starter , battery etc

watching the video , I would say you have a connection , earth , starter , battery problem ,but would say you still have a imobilizer issue if only as a sercurity measure

Last edited by munch90 on 22nd Nov 2014 11:05pm. Edited 3 times in total
Post #373452 22nd Nov 2014 1:25pm
Fifth Horseman

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
When the starter does not work at all, can you hear a click from under the driver's seat (starter relay) as you move the key to the start position? if you can then the problem is less likely to be 10AS related. If no click then it could be the relay or the 10AS - the starter relay gets its earth from that.
Post #373454 22nd Nov 2014 1:31pm
Phoenix90

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
Mine had a similar problem to this and it turned out to the connecting bar between the starter motor and the solenoid had come loose at the solenoid where it bolts on. It would start to turn the starter over but the resistance would be to high for it to work under load.
Post #373490 22nd Nov 2014 4:54pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
carrotbay wrote:
Hi

Does it work for you?

Phil.

Phil, this is classic passive immobiliser. Try turning off the PI with Nanocom or similar and see if it stops happening.

With PI turned off the vehicle is still immobilised when locked so it isn't a major security weakness.

PI especially on Pumas is well known for eccentric behaviour.
Post #373525 22nd Nov 2014 7:28pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
If you are suffering from irregular cranking or failure to start, an easy and worthwhile check is to make sure that the the main "ignition on" and starter relays under the driver's seat are tight in their sockets. It is very common to find that they're loose, and this can cause crank failure and engine failure-to-run problems.

The connections can be tighten by carefully bending the tangs on the relays into a slight banana shape. It should be quite hard to pull the relays from their sockets - it should feel as though the socket's going to come off its tab before the relay comes free.
Post #373527 22nd Nov 2014 7:39pm
nickhodgson

Hi

I have a ROW spec car that does not have any form of alarm (as far as I know) and had a poor starting issue. The engine turned over a number of times and seemed to fire on one cylinder before it started. One started it ran fine and later restarted fine. It has fuel etc but had not been used for a few weeks.

There is a green box behind the dash that I believe is the 10AS unit set up to dim the interior lights.

Its damp here....could this unit affect starting on a non alarm car?

Thanks
Nick 1995 300tdi Defender 90 P/UP
2011 Puma Defender 130 D/C
2000 300tdi Defender 110 P/UP
2015 Discovery 4 SDV6 HSE
Post #390075 19th Jan 2015 6:17am
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Yes I would say so if it is fitted. Indirectly there is a couple of feeds to your OBD diagnostic socket and another via your instrument closter to the enging ECM and also an 'immobiliser in' feed! Thumbs Up If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #390102 19th Jan 2015 9:51am
David.fer

Hi guys I have an update on the defender starting saga

So just recently the problem as described before has been happening more frequently and persisting for longer. I noticed whilst trying to start the Landy there was a burning plastic smell from the engine compartment. There is a plastic holder were the glow plug wire joins on to the main wiring see photos

The Landy has been picked up and taken to a garage tonight. So hopefully when it gets to the garage it still won't start. Last time it went it started no problem and worked fine for weeks. The rac chap suggested it could be a wiring loom problem what do you guys think? The Landy also would not bump start this time either.
Post #396470 6th Feb 2015 7:08pm
munch90

England 
Common for the plastic bit to melt on transits and burn the wire in the loom
Post #396555 6th Feb 2015 10:54pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1