↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > My Defender > Safari equipment steering guard fitted, she is a beast !!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Windowlicker

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
Safari equipment steering guard fitted, she is a beast !!
Having followed various threads regarding recovery options for the front of the Landy, and the fact the fitted/left on , not removed eyes , are in fact lashing eyes or basic light duty towing eyes at best, I decided I wanted something more substantial.
I was going to get myself a First Four bumper with receiver built in to it, to accept a recovery billet, and other plug in options should I want them, but the model of bumper I really wanted was their standard , heavy duty bumper, which is galv'd and powdered and apparently guarenteed for 3 years against corrosion. ( no idea how realistic this is but that it what they state.)

That then led me to look some more , and via Brendan @ Overlander 4x4 I have bought a Safari Equipment steering guard, with in built reciever.
Now I have the option of any bumper I fancy, and plenty of protection to my nether regions Shocked should I need it Very Happy

To say the guard is heavy duty is a mass of understatement !!!
It is rudely heavily constructed , and weight wise , comes in around 26kg Shocked

It is all one piece as opposed to the majority of 3 piece varieties out there, less joints, less potential for bending/failing at the joints, no seized c/sunk bolts , should removal be required X years down the road.
Galvanised steel and tough as old boots I reckon.

Not being an outright fan of the normal galv'd finish, which always looks a bit wishy washy, plus a couple of bits needed touching up anyway ( something brendan had alerted me to prior to purchase) so I got some cold galv spray, and laced the whole thing in it, and it should just add to the protection against corrosion and be hard wearing too.
(Looks bluey, grey in the first pics as it was nearly dark, it is actually a nice satin silver in reality )
Fitting straight forward enough Wink
I replaced the quick release chained pin with stainless bolts with nylocs on, which should deter casual passing thieving Censored as tools will be required to remove them.
If they have tools then tough titty I guess.
Anyway , a few pics , very pleased with it, definately a function over form item, well engineered ( rated at 3500kg, all welds by certified welders also )
Thanks to Overlander for the swift service and great price Thumbs Up

Cheers, Nick

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

And just a few of my Landy, as I haven't yet posted any of it particularly Very Happy

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

[/i] "Procrastination is the thief of time"

Last edited by Windowlicker on 2nd Feb 2015 8:10pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #395209 2nd Feb 2015 7:41pm
ibexman

United Kingdom 
That looks rather substantial Thumbs Up
Post #395211 2nd Feb 2015 7:46pm
sparkylee

2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 DCPU Santorini Black
Nice Thumbs Up It's good to be back from the dark side

DC110 -2012 Black with black hood and black x-tech
FFRR 4.2 vogue
Renault traffic auto
PT crusier convertible
Laika x700 Motorhome
Post #395212 2nd Feb 2015 7:49pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Looks good!

Could you do me a favour and measure how far forward of the front face of the bumper the front of the receiver socket would be with nothing inserted? The reason for asking is that I have been thinking of fitting one of these myself but I have a Husky fitted in a winch bumper and the bumper is therefore a lot "thicker" in the middle. I am not sure if the receiver tube would protrude far enough forward to let me get a drop plate or NATO pintle mount in the socket without fouling the bumper.

I'd be very grateful! Thumbs Up
Post #395219 2nd Feb 2015 8:27pm
Sphere

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Keswick Green
I like!!!

Also nice british shovel
Post #395220 2nd Feb 2015 8:28pm
Windowlicker

She is certainly more go than show, though it does look pretty impressive if I may say so myself Laughing

@Blackwolf, ....... Just been out and checked, it comes in at approx , 47mm , or 1 7/8 " in real money Laughing

Yes, the shovel is a beaut, had a fair old bit of abuse over the years, and still going strong Thumbs Up "Procrastination is the thief of time"
Post #395227 2nd Feb 2015 8:53pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Thank you! Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
Post #395230 2nd Feb 2015 8:57pm
Windowlicker

No worries, and if it is not far enough, and it needs for arguments sake, another 1/2" or similar, as safari equipment make these themselves, I am sure via Brendan @ Overlander , they would be able to make a bespoke one for you , with a little extra length , ooh , suits you sir , suits you Mr. Green "Procrastination is the thief of time"
Post #395231 2nd Feb 2015 9:05pm
Lorryman100

I got one from Brendan a couple of years ago and they are a solid bit of kit, nearly gave myself a hernia fitting it. I also seem to remember promising someone on here the guard when I changed the front end but a family bereavement and losing the dogs at the same time put my mind elsewhere?

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
Post #395301 2nd Feb 2015 10:28pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
JAY BOY

Wales 
Top bit of kits that is Bow down
Post #395306 2nd Feb 2015 10:30pm
SailingTom

United Kingdom 
Nice, had one on my to buy list for a while Smile Defender puma dormobile camper
Post #395308 2nd Feb 2015 10:31pm
Windowlicker

Love the last pic Lorryman Thumbs Up it just looks ready for business Cool

I remember coming across a thread by you when I was searching "safari guard", but all the pics you had posted were gone unfortunately.
Sorry to hear of your losses, I am sure the person you mentioned , who was wanting the guard, would not expect you to prioritise things any differently.
The pic with he drop plate fitted should help Blackwolf also Thumbs Up

Cheers,

Nick. "Procrastination is the thief of time"
Post #395313 2nd Feb 2015 10:35pm
nitram17

Re: Safari equipment steering guard fitted, she is a beast !
Windowlicker wrote:
Having followed various threads regarding recovery options for the front of the Landy, and the fact the fitted/left on , not removed eyes , are in fact lashing eyes or basic light duty towing eyes at best, I decided I wanted something more substantial.
I was going to get myself a First Four bumper with receiver built in to it, to accept a recovery billet, and other plug in options should I want them, but the model of bumper I really wanted was their standard , heavy duty bumper, which is galv'd and powdered and apparently guarenteed for 3 years against corrosion. ( no idea how realistic this is but that it what they state.)

That then led me to look some more , and via Brendan @ Overlander 4x4 I have bought a Safari Equipment steering guard, with in built reciever.
Now I have the option of any bumper I fancy, and plenty of protection to my nether regions Shocked should I need it Very Happy

To say the guard is heavy duty is a mass of understatement !!!
It is rudely heavily constructed , and weight wise , comes in around 26kg Shocked

It is all one piece as opposed to the majority of 3 piece varieties out there, less joints, less potential for bending/failing at the joints, no seized c/sunk bolts , should removal be required X years down the road.
Galvanised steel and tough as old boots I reckon.

Not being an outright fan of the normal galv'd finish, which always looks a bit wishy washy, plus a couple of bits needed touching up anyway ( something brendan had alerted me to prior to purchase) so I got some cold galv spray, and laced the whole thing in it, and it should just add to the protection against corrosion and be hard wearing too.
(Looks bluey, grey in the first pics as it was nearly dark, it is actually a nice satin silver in reality )
Fitting straight forward enough Wink
I replaced the quick release chained pin with stainless bolts with nylocs on, which should deter casual passing thieving Censored as tools will be required to remove them.
If they have tools then tough titty I guess.
Anyway , a few pics , very pleased with it, definately a function over form item, well engineered ( rated at 3500kg, all welds by certified welders also )
Thanks to Overlander for the swift service and great price Thumbs Up

Cheers, Nick

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

]

And just a few of my Landy, as I haven't yet posted any of it particularly Very Happy

Hi if you dont mind divulging ..how much ££££...is this the same model or a copy by extreme 4x4?

http://www.extreme4x4.co.uk/acatalog/DEFEN...EIVER.html

or did overland undercut them?
[/i]

Last edited by nitram17 on 3rd Feb 2015 12:36am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #395324 2nd Feb 2015 10:47pm
davew

England 1990 Defender 90 V8 Petrol PU Auto Rioja Red
Can't help but smile at the "soft A bar" for that pedestrian friendly front end, with a dirty great spike mounted in the middle of the bumper !

I fancy a receiver on the front of mine but will probably build it into the winch bumper (also not pedestrian friendly !) http://www.yorkshireoffroadclub.net/
Post #395334 2nd Feb 2015 11:05pm
Windowlicker

Hi Nitram,

The extreme one you linked to , is , as far as I am aware , a safari equipment one, they , I guess, buy them just as brendan does , and distribute them.
I could be wrong, but I don't think SE deal direct with the public.

I went with brendan, as I have had various things from him and Barbara, they are always there on the phone when needed, the advice is superb, and things turn up super fast, well packaged , and prices are as keen as they can make them, whilst still earning a living.
Brendan did do me a deal so to speak, as the one I bought had some slight storage damage , though I know they have just received another two into stock ( there is normally a 5-6 week wait , as they are made in batches )

I don't know what the postage from extreme would be, thought I cant imagine it would be cheap , as they weigh a lot!!

Give Overlander a bell and speak to them Thumbs Up Rolling Eyes "Procrastination is the thief of time"
Post #395337 2nd Feb 2015 11:11pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>