↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Egr cooler outlet hose.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
ozy013

Australia 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Rimini Red
Egr cooler outlet hose.
Just done a routine inspection of the engine bay and noticed the Egr cooler outlet hose, number 6, is badly worn just behind the plastic clamp that holds it together with the expansion tank hose.

Click image to enlarge

My first question is can you purchase them separately or do you have to purchase both the egr and expansion tank hose as one?

Now I've done a quick search and come up with part nos; JHC500150 that's for the hose kit, is that correct?

It looks like it's in a Censored of a spot to get to, running behind the engine and in front of the bulkhead. How hard would it be to change out? and I guess you'd have to drop the coolant as well. From what I can see from the net, if I do have to drop the coolant, the system takes approx 10 litres of the OAT coolant, is that right?

As you can see I'm just trying to work out if I should have a go at it or let the dealer over charge me. I've done all the servicing myself since I bought it second hand and being a 2010 Puma, it's well out of warranty. Just wondering if anyone on this great forum can point me in the right direction in regards to draining and bleeding the cooling system.
Cheers, Ian.
Post #375209 30th Nov 2014 1:33pm
kmac

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
EGR is sold separately, i.e doesn't come with any hoses so I presume you can buy the hoses on their own
Post #375233 30th Nov 2014 3:41pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Any idea of what's caused the damage & what you will do to stop it returning on a new hose?
Post #375262 30th Nov 2014 6:05pm
ozy013

No not sure what caused the damage, I haven't pulled the hose off yet as it's my daily drive. From what i can see, the outer casing of the hose just behind the plastic clamp that holds the two hoses together has started to disintegrate. The clamp is very tight and doesn't look like it's rubbed the hose, but I'll have a closer look when I remove it.
Post #375278 30th Nov 2014 6:49pm
martinfiattech

England 
The hoses are easy to replace, I find letting the front tyres down helps.
If you have a good look at all the hoses on the near side of the vehicle they all rub together.
the best thing to do is get or keep a length of hose and tie strap that to the sections that are rubbing, I`ve gone thru all of them. Once the add on bit wares away inspect hose, if ok do it again. Same works for wiring looms.
We see a lot of transits at work that have the same fault Excuse the spelling I`am better with spanners and wires.
Post #375379 30th Nov 2014 10:23pm
ozy013

Well, I've bitten the bullet and purchased the hose kit. Seems they come as a pair. $172 Aus dollars...ouch Thud I think it works out at about £90.

The reason for letting the front tyres down would be to make access easier i guess?

Seems as though summer is now upon us down here, I may as well drop and change the coolant whist I'm at it.
http://www.nulon.com.au/products/Cooling_S...p_Coolant/
Would this be the right stuff?

Thanks for the tip in regards to the hoses rubbing, when I first bought it I did notice a lot of the hoses on the near side had rub marks. I used zip ties to lift some of them out of harms way and to stop them moving around so much. Never did check the Egr cooler outlet hose though as it's tucked out of the way.

I know you love your pictures, so when I get the car back from the window tint joint later today, I'll try to take some half decent shots of the wear to the hose.

Thanks, Ian.
Post #375406 30th Nov 2014 11:32pm
ozy013

Click image to enlarge

Not the greatest of photos, but at least you can sort of see where it's worn. I'll get a better shot if I can find time this weekend to change it.
Post #375426 1st Dec 2014 7:34am
ozy013

Ah, if it's not one thing it's another! Rolling Eyes

Looks like something likes, or should I say liked the taste of my EGR cooler hose. I think I have rats Shocked

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Sorry it's taken awhile to get around to changing it out, but I've been trying to source the correct coolant. It turns out the Nulon I listed earlier is no good. According to a couple of workshops I spoke to, they have had endless problems with hoses leaking when customers have topped up with this particular brand here in Oz. It seems to react with the Puma spec coolant So I went with the Caltex Long Life Coolant.
http://www.caltex.com.au/FPL%20PDS/Extended%20Life%20Coolant.pdf

Merry Christmas everyone and have a safe and happy holidays. Cheers, Ian.
Post #380945 22nd Dec 2014 1:17pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1