↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Top 6 Mods for New Defender
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
leeds

United Kingdom 
You will never get agreement on top modifications.

Security and protection comes first and foremost

Security consists of a tracking system, additional alarm, alterations of standard alarm. More obvious visual security, pedal box, steering wheel lock, bonnet hinges, silicone/polyfilla in bolt heads

Protection, physical includes rear bumperettes and rock and tree sliders. Good for the less considerate driver in car parks.

Then put your plastic card away and use your Defender and see how you use it before getting the plastic out again.

It is too easy to let your card run away with the excitement. Get used to your vehicle first and decide what you want from your vehicle and then prioritise your wish/need list.

Brendan
Post #364767 15th Oct 2014 9:35pm
acuss01

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
This is all very helpful folks - thanks! Now some noob questions…

@big steve
- I Googled "Mud Stuff Rear Sides" and I wasn't sure if you were talking about windows, lights or what?
- BAS remap and intercooler is a 'must do'? Really?

@Venomator
- Bit confused, you're saying bigger NAS lights better than replacing buibs in existing lights right? (But the eBay link you gave me nevertheless is for replacing standard bulbs?)
- What about front headlights?

@custom90steve
- Are you saying RDX from BoltonBits recommended by Venomator is illegal?

@leeds
- looking at pics of rock and tree sliders online - looks a bit like the side step/runner that already comes with XS. Is this and the chequerplate I've ordered on the sills enough? 2015 110 XS CSW Montalcino Red with Black Pack
Post #364773 15th Oct 2014 9:48pm
Venomator

United Kingdom 
@acuss01 - No, the replacement fittings I pointed you too are direct and legal replacement kits for the side & indicator lamps, which I have fitted and find excellent!... Thumbs Up

They are not bigger at all, but you should not just replace the bulbs in the standard units, as @CustomSteve has said, for legal reasons... Shocked

I have not and do not intend replacing my headlights, they really are good enough, especially with a couple of decent spots to supplement main beam... Thumbs Up

Apologies for any confusion there... Whistle
 Rog... Mr. Green
The GREEN One...

MY2016 Urban Truck Build Thread - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic40548....al[/color]

Last edited by Venomator on 15th Oct 2014 10:28pm. Edited 2 times in total
Post #364777 15th Oct 2014 9:57pm
big steve

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Montalcino Red
Sorry Iv jumped a little I was thinking 6 mods that I would do first sorry

I'm getting a hardtop so yes the mud stuff sides

Thumbs Up 2015 2.2 tdci hardtop xs
3.2 conversion DONE 238bhp and 707nm torque and thats just the start ;-P
hybrid turbo in build -done ready to fit
ashcroft atb in transfer box
6 speed auto in build
Post #364781 15th Oct 2014 10:02pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
AndyS

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Sumatra Black
It makes me laugh how many times I see a Defender with a roof rack with nothing on it. I can't help but think many of the listed mods are about as useful as an unused roof rack.
Post #364793 15th Oct 2014 10:27pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
XS side steps will offer protection from inconsiderate drivers in car parks. They will not give as much protection on or offroad as proper rock and tree sliders. Rock and tree sliders will demolish concrete bollards, when you meet them in black ice conditions Whistle

Please note chequer plate is slippery in the wet.

Please do not put chequer plate on the cills. Apart from it looking awful. (Ok that is a personal choice) it does not have any real function apart from hiding corrosion. Also LR and their dealers normally are not very good at fitting chequer plate, in fact they are awful at fitting chequer plate.

Just because items are for sale on eBay does not make them legal to use on the UK public highway!

All obligatory vehicle lights have to be type approved by law, that basically means E marked these days. All obligatory lights fitted from the factory are E marked and basically it is not legal to alter them. Legal to replace a blown bulb etc like for like etc, but not to modify them.

Brendan
Post #364803 15th Oct 2014 10:44pm
bpman

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
Also have a look at the x-eng ignition lock modification - simple to fit and works

Trackers - you get what you pay for Thumbs Up
Post #364815 15th Oct 2014 11:02pm
acuss01

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
@leeds

According to the eBay listing these ones are E Marked. Must surely be a good option 2015 110 XS CSW Montalcino Red with Black Pack
Post #364846 16th Oct 2014 8:12am
lukev01

England 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
In a word - Dinitrol!

Get it done asap - no use having a nice, modified LR if it is rotting underneath you in a few years time.

Above all, enjoy it! Thumbs Up 1970 Series 2A 88"
Post #364850 16th Oct 2014 8:32am
leeds

United Kingdom 
If you are thinking of changing an obligatory filament light unit which will be E marked (type approved) from the factory with a complete LED unit which is type approved (E marked) then that is legal.

If you are thinking of replacing a filament bulb from a type approved light with an LED then that is ILLEGAL.

Type approval only applies to an obligatory light unit as it left the factory. Replacing blown filament bulb with another filament bulb is a replacement so type approval still applies and is road legal.

Modifying an obligatory light unit by say changing a filament bulb for an LED is illegal as that unit does not conform to the original specification and type approval is now invalid.

The legislation that applies is the Vehicle Lighting Regulations. Just because something is sold on eBay does not make it legal to use. I.e. HID conversion kits are sold on eBay. The DOT/VOSA/DVLA have published guidelines saying that these are illegal as type approval is invalid.

Brendan
Post #364852 16th Oct 2014 8:33am
tookaphotoof

Netherlands 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 HCPU Santorini Black
lukev01 wrote:
In a word - Dinitrol!

Get it done asap - no use having a nice, modified LR if it is rotting underneath you in a few years time.

Above all, enjoy it! Thumbs Up

I intend to keep this one for as long as I can, therefore decided to not specially treat the chassis. By the time it's needed I'll just swap it for a galvanised version. In the meantime I'll just make sure I clean it as good as I can including to hose the mud out of it.
Post #364863 16th Oct 2014 9:09am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
As noted above, you'll never get agreement on this question.

My thoughts, for what their worth:

1) Security. I think that the first priority is a highly visible deterrent, such as a pedal lock. I think it is more important to prevent the vehicle being stolen in the first place than to recover it after it's been stolen (it isn't much use once it's been been trashed and burnt out). So pedal lock, security on door hinges, bonnet hinges, and external spare wheel would be my top priority.

2) Everyday drivability. This would include upgrading to variable intermittent wipe (VW 99 relay - a HUGE improvement), fitting relays in the headlight circuit to prevent the otherwise inevitable total lighting failure at the most inconvenient time, and probably upgrading the headlights to Wipac crystals and Osram Nightbreakers (this is an inexpensive and wholly adequate lighting upgrade). I's also upgrade the rear lights to NAS spec since the standard ones are really to puny for modern conditions.

3) Item 3 on my list would then be a remap which included disabling the EGR valve. This will improve economy and reliability (the EGR is possibly the least reliable part of the TDCi engine) and greatly increase the smiles-per-mile.

After than I'd start the entirely unnecessary but desirable mods (heated screen if not already fitted, ICE upgrade (useful to drown out the worrying noises!), etc, etc).

It is interesting that both 1 and 2 on this list are things that LR should have been doing as standard for at least the last 20 years.
Post #364867 16th Oct 2014 9:31am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12