↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > My Defender > Silver 90 TD5 Build: Re-envisioning a great
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 6 of 8 <12345678>
Print this entire topic · 
MrB

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Zermatt Silver
Hi CharlieBaja,

In terms of the Dynamat products, I bought them from a couple of sources at the time... but all were found through eBay and Amazon. I literally searched for the best prices at time of purchase and as certain processes take longer it enabled me to spread the investment vs. buying it all in one hot.

From memory the companies that I got it all through (i.e. the sellers) were as follows; Dynamic Sound, Car Audio Direct, Car Audio and Security.

However I think/thought some of the supporters and sponsors on here are dealers in Dynamat now too. So definitely worthy of a first port of call.

Nath
Post #343707 8th Jul 2014 2:41pm
TDCi Guy

United Kingdom 1996 Defender 110 300 Tdi HCPU Auto Keswick Green
Excellent write up MrB, love the depth that you've gone into with the dynamat install! Definitely food for thought for myself.

You mentioned that you wired your DRLs in through the exisitng wiring for Swedish vehicles. Do you have any more info on that such as which plug the feed is in etc?
Post #355225 2nd Sep 2014 8:18pm
993porky

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Baltic Blue
MrB wrote:
Here's the finished DRL lights fitted and they're such a great addition.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Looking good where did you get your dlr from?
Cheers
Post #355261 2nd Sep 2014 10:54pm
MrB

Mudmonkey wrote:
Excellent write up MrB, love the depth that you've gone into with the dynamat install! Definitely food for thought for myself.

You mentioned that you wired your DRLs in through the exisitng wiring for Swedish vehicles. Do you have any more info on that such as which plug the feed is in etc?

Hi Mudmonkey,

Thanks for the kind complement, I have a fair amount more to update on the build post, but business has been a little manic of late and time a precious commodity!

In terms of the wiring, I recall we downloaded numerous vehicle wiring diagrams for the Defender and within that worked out (well my Father) that there was this 'driving light' requirement in Sweden and it existed on the stock wiring loom.

My best advice, if looking at the Defender front on, the wiring loom with this surplus plug (looks like a conventional light plug) is located under the drivers wing right at the back of the arch. It's a genuine fiddle to access it and you have to be extremely careful with the soft wing, but it should be located there and be a sealed off cable tapped to the wiring loom. You can simply then splice into in.

I hope that helps and shout me if I've confused things!

Best wishes, Nath
Post #355903 5th Sep 2014 4:28pm
MrB

993porky wrote:

Looking good where did you get your dlr from?
Cheers

Hi 993porky,

Thanks!

At the time it was from Ebay. It was these ones, which I know certain other manufacturers use in the DRL equipped bumpers.

http://www.ringautomotive.co.uk/uk/product...ng/BRL0397

Without tempting fate they've been great thus far, and being a genuine make a free from the LED nightmares of some cheaper versions.

I paid about £55 for them from memory at the time.

Nath
Post #355904 5th Sep 2014 4:31pm
TDCi Guy

United Kingdom 1996 Defender 110 300 Tdi HCPU Auto Keswick Green
MrB wrote:
Mudmonkey wrote:

Hi Mudmonkey,

Thanks for the kind complement, I have a fair amount more to update on the build post, but business has been a little manic of late and time a precious commodity!

In terms of the wiring, I recall we downloaded numerous vehicle wiring diagrams for the Defender and within that worked out (well my Father) that there was this 'driving light' requirement in Sweden and it existed on the stock wiring loom.

My best advice, if looking at the Defender front on, the wiring loom with this surplus plug (looks like a conventional light plug) is located under the drivers wing right at the back of the arch. It's a genuine fiddle to access it and you have to be extremely careful with the soft wing, but it should be located there and be a sealed off cable tapped to the wiring loom. You can simply then splice into in.

I hope that helps and shout me if I've confused things!

Best wishes, Nath

I'm waiting with patience for more of your updates so I can hopefully steal a few ideas for my own 90. Whistle

By at the back of the arch do you mean close to the bulkhead? I assume it is a branch off from the same bit of loom that feeds the lights etc on the wings anyway? I'll have a dig about when I collect mine this week, hopefully it is under there somewhere!
Post #356467 8th Sep 2014 11:58am
MrB

Hi Mudmonkey,

That's exactly the area. Close to bulkhead on the lighting loom.

Re. Updates - I'll get on it and pleased they're helpful! Lol 😉

Nath
Post #356609 8th Sep 2014 10:08pm
JustStarting

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Barolo Black
Wow just read this start to finish, absolutely amazing write up with lots of details and information.

I am going to try the sound deadening on my tdi.

Do you know how long it took you adding the weekends together?

Please keep the updates coming
Post #357765 14th Sep 2014 1:53pm
MrB

Hi JustStarting,

Sorry for the slow response, but in terms of your question I'd say two solid weekends of applying the actual sound deadening, but the hard graft is actually cleaning down the interior of a vehicle. Our truck thankfully was pretty clean and a weekend spent wiping it all down with panel wipes did the job.

So all in three weekends of hard graft with two of us doing it. One tip, especially now the temp is dropping... stick a few heaters in the truck to get the panels warm and also have one set up on each sheet of dynamat. Makes the product so much easier to apply and manipulate.

Hope that all helps!

Nath
Post #363126 8th Oct 2014 6:07pm
JustStarting

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Barolo Black
Thanks Nath

I did wonder about the interior and cleaning it off

I am going to do this on a 1998 110 and having lifted all the carpets I can see I have a couple of weekends work cleaning it all first MY2015 110 Urban Truck Expedition Spec
2005 Td5 TwinCab
1998 110 CSW 300tdi
Post #363135 8th Oct 2014 6:35pm
MrB

Hi All,

Sorry it's been a while for a new update (business has seen me busy) but thought, with the horrid weather drawing in we all need a forum fix... so here goes.

The last main addition was our DRL bumper which is seriously proving its worth now that the summer has officially gone. The extra security and visibility it affords is a great addition, and I think looks pretty nice as well. So very recommended.

The next set of updates had us firmly focused on the front profile of the truck. So in addition to the KBX front end, we added a new front steering guard that compliments the grille design.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #363137 8th Oct 2014 6:38pm
MrB

JustStarting wrote:
Thanks Nath

I did wonder about the interior and cleaning it off

I am going to do this on a 1998 110 and having lifted all the carpets I can see I have a couple of weekends work cleaning it all first

Pleasure and sorry for the slow response... definitely invest the time in cleaning it. Not a fun job, but honestly the hard graft is so worth the pay off.

Nath
Post #363138 8th Oct 2014 6:39pm
MrB

Second on the list for the front – as the eagle eyed of you have no doubt already spotted – were light guards. We had an extensive look for light guard options and elected to create our own, as I specifically wanted some sensible protection for the existing LED lighting, as well as another more expensive lighting system that was due to follow. My main requirement was a set of guards that offered greater structural protection than the standard Land Rover ones (which the car came with) but had a much lower profile. The profile requirement was two fold, firstly I wanted to visually loose the light guards at certain angles and most really protrude in my mind. The second thing was 'light throw' with the headlights casting shadows... so I wanted the main beam to remain unobstructed from its light projection. So in summary, this be them... plus we also colour coded these.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #363139 8th Oct 2014 6:49pm
MrB

Then came a big investment... new, shiny headlights.

I'd already gone down the route of Wipac Crystals and uprated 120% bulbs – however I just think a large issue with the Defender stock lighting is cable harness limits and relay related. Honestly I couldn't be fussed with running direct cables for the lighting in the hope of increasing brightness and although I couldn't justify JW Speakers for the performance I'd experienced, I was taken with the new truck lites. So I pulled the trigger way to early and then watched as prices dropped by a further £200 over corresponding months... teach me to knee jerk!

But in all seriousness, I'd happily pay for the Truck Lites again at the £600.00 I paid, as they are simply a great improvement (especially as my DRL's work on full beam giving a really lovely wall of light both immediately in front of the car as well as up the road). For the current £400 isn mark they're a bargain!

It's purely down to personal preference but I absolute love the design of these too.

Click image to enlarge
Post #363144 8th Oct 2014 7:03pm
MrB

As you can no doubt tell... I'm extremely happy with these and think they look great... they offer a really nice contrast to the vehicle.

Click image to enlarge
Post #363146 8th Oct 2014 7:05pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 6 of 8 <12345678>