↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > After first engine oil change -- oil on filter cap?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
timbar

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
After first engine oil change -- oil on filter cap?
Changed engine oil for the first time a week or so ago, and thought I'd take a quick look today to see if everything seems in order. I noticed that there seems to be a film of oil covering the oil filter cap and an inch or so up over the mounting for it. There's nothing obviously dripping that I've seen.

Is this likely to mean a problem? I don't recall if there was a film of oil over it before I did the change; I know I gave it a wipe down. I'm assuming I've fitted the filter and O ring right as I don't have a dripping leak, but am happy to be told otherwise. Too much oil perhaps? I don't get a warning light on the dash. 2009 110 XS Station Wagon
Post #343074 5th Jul 2014 8:35pm
Dieselhead

They all seem to leek at some stage!

Just changed the oil on mine. Like you, change the O ring. I also put some PTFE tape on the threads to help Thumbs Up

If its not dripping then I would not bother to worry Chris

2008 XS 110 2.4 Utility. Tonga Green
1953 Series 1 for restoration
1983 Mini Mayfair
2004 VW T5 Camper
2008 Diahatsu Sirion. Thats hers
Classic Bolens Garden Tractors
Post #343076 5th Jul 2014 8:46pm
LR90XS2011

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
any chance of a photo, did you pre fill the filter bowl? what torque did you tighten it to? DEFENDER 90 TDCI XS,

I hope everyone is well and your land rovers make you happy
Post #343079 5th Jul 2014 8:51pm
munch90

England 
Dieselhead wrote:
They all seem to leek at some stage!

Just changed the oil on mine. Like you, change the O ring. I also put some PTFE tape on the threads to help Thumbs Up

If its not dripping then I would not bother to worry

I would not put ptfe Tape on the filter housing thread .. the thread is above the oring , I would think any tape getting near or under the o ring will make it leak

new o ring and only tighten gently and have never known one to leak

if you oil the oil ring before fitting as you should as you screw housing on a small amount of oil will below o ring and I would think as its warmed up come out round the joint between the plastic cup and filter housing and wind has spread it around

KEEP A EYE ON IT just in case of crack or something
Post #343085 5th Jul 2014 9:18pm
timbar

I wiped it over so not much use getting a photo at this stage, but will get one if the same thing happens over the next few days. It's more oil than used to lubricate the o-ring, which was just a smear really. And finally -- I tightened it up by hand then shifted it a little -- maybe 1/16th - 1/8th turn -- with a normal socket wrench, as my torque wrench has a smaller drive than my 27 mm socket.

EDIT: yep, I prefilled the filter housing and filter, with as much oil as it'd take.

Thanks for the advice, will keep an eye on it and maybe pop back on with a photo in a few days. Thumbs Up 2009 110 XS Station Wagon

Last edited by timbar on 5th Jul 2014 9:42pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #343089 5th Jul 2014 9:29pm
timbar

While I think about it -- can you remove and replace the oil filter and only lose the oil in the housing? It's much higher than the sump, but I assume the sump doesn't hold all 7 litres. 2009 110 XS Station Wagon
Post #343093 5th Jul 2014 9:41pm
Dieselhead

Yes I had to do this on the Puma at work & all that came out was what was in the housing Thumbs Up Chris

2008 XS 110 2.4 Utility. Tonga Green
1953 Series 1 for restoration
1983 Mini Mayfair
2004 VW T5 Camper
2008 Diahatsu Sirion. Thats hers
Classic Bolens Garden Tractors
Post #343224 6th Jul 2014 6:07pm
martinfiattech

England 
Evening all,

I did a full service on mine last month. All is well

When you removed the plastic filter bowl did you use a single hex 27 mm socket, as I`ve found if people use a double hex or spanner to remove the bowl it can cause a hair line crack in the hexagon. Don`t even think of mole grips / pipe grips.

Some of our motor home owners like to change there own filter`s using the above tools IT GOES WRONG ! they have the same engine in the ducato.

When you replaced the filter was it fully home in it`s housing.
When you replaced the o ring did you get it in the correct grove, also make sure it`s not twisted up it is possible to get it wrong. It makes a right mess if you do.

As for lubrication just install the seal rub your finger in oil, make sure it`s well coated and install it up to the chamfered section of the housing nice and slowly so the seal can seat it`s self.
Please remove the PTFE tape if it gets pulled it to the oil gallery, god help your oil pump.

If it has been over tightened previously the housing can either warp or a great deal of effort is needed to get it off.
This can also lead to a hair line crack.

The same can be said for replacement over tighting it can warp it.
Some times they do leak after replacement, if in doubt buy a new one it`s cheaper than a new engine. Excuse the spelling I`am better with spanners and wires.
Post #343265 6th Jul 2014 9:06pm
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
When I did mine the other week I thought mine was leaking, but a good clean up with brake cleaner, and all appears good.

Just think oil shows from around the threads from removing, next time will clean, and dry before refitting.

Andy
Post #343271 6th Jul 2014 9:32pm
timbar

Cheers. I used a bi-hex socket to remove it -- pretty much just to loosen it, as it turned by hand quick. As far as I can recall I seated the o ring right, but will be watt hung for twisting etc next time. I remember feeling something like a the filter locking into place as I pushed it.

Good advice on just trying another if any doubt as they're relatively cheap. I can't find suitbale o-rings on their own anywhere, so am guessing it's easier to buy a filter.

EDIT: watt hung? nice autocorrect. *watching* 2009 110 XS Station Wagon
Post #343292 6th Jul 2014 10:29pm
timbar

Ok, so I cleaned it up and kept an eye on it. After a couple of days I could run a finger round the joint between the cup and the mounting and find oil. If left a little longer enough oil came out to coat the cup.

I've taken it out and replaced the filter and o-ring. I noticed that the o-ring was very loose compared to the original one fitted. The newer one just rolled out, whereas I had to prize the previous one out.

It seems better at the moment, but again will keep an eye on it. I did notice that the filter cup has 25.5 Nm written on it, not the 30 Nm quoted in the Puma TDCi engine oil thread -- I picked up a 3/8" to 1/2" drive adaptor and torqued it up to 25 Nm this time, rather than guessing.

So, bit pedestrian, but might help someone else whose coming to it for the first time Smile 2009 110 XS Station Wagon
Post #344979 13th Jul 2014 8:27pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1