↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Rear window shattered
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Jonno

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Santorini Black
Rear window shattered
I came out of the house and looked at the car this afternoon and noticed the rear tailgate glass was totally shattered. You cant tell if it has been hit, so it's very odd and it was fine this morning.

Has anyone heard of these shattering before or know the replacement cost?

Typically as well the fuel gauge started to read 3/4 full when full so another issue....a month out of warranty !

Jonno
Post #343520 7th Jul 2014 6:45pm
munch90

England 
any mowing been done near by ?

mother smashed her own side window last year mowing
Post #343521 7th Jul 2014 6:48pm
Happyoldgit

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Yes I've read about others shattering unexpectedly but it has never happened to me [famous last words]. I think there's a thread on here somewhere. Steve.
Owned numerous Land Rover vehicles of all shapes and sizes over the decades.
Current Defender: A non tarts hand-bagged Puma 110 XS USW.

[Insert something impressive here such as extensive list of previous Land Rovers or examples of your prestigeous and expensive items, trinkets, houses, bikes, vehicles etc]

http://forums.lr4x4.com

I used to be Miserable ...but now I'm ecstatic.
Post #343523 7th Jul 2014 6:58pm
JWL

England 2002 Defender 110 Td5 SW Coniston Green
Yep, I've been a victim, another one for the insurance to sort out. Seems to be no rhyme or reason. That was 4 years ago.
Post #343525 7th Jul 2014 7:09pm
Jonno

It looks like a random shattering. ...annoying tho...a chap driving by stopped and asked what had happened and said a defender around the corner had its doors and bonnet knicked recently.....time to take some precautions I think

Jono
Post #343538 7th Jul 2014 7:36pm
defender4

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic18293.html

I came to the conclusion that it was a result of a hot spot related to the high level brake light the wiring route/pattern for which was subsequently modified.

However, on re-reading the original post and the fact that the vehicle in question is only just out of warranty it must have the latest pattern of rear screen ...?

Rob
Post #343539 7th Jul 2014 7:36pm
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
I recently had my rear window swapped out. I was surprised at how loosely they are fitted. It's not as if any bodywork flexing would place any undue stresses on it.
Defender4's reasoning sounds plausible but wasn't the issue with the heater element chafing on the brake light housing and not the brake light wiring itself?

2p short of £84 from Devon4x4.
£114:95 E-Bay If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #343542 7th Jul 2014 7:41pm
munch90

England 
the toughening process puts surface tension on the glass that's why go with such a bang and smash to thousands of bits .
sometimes they just let go
see a subaru car one smash at the garage , no one near it , bit sunny but not hot , couldn't see any reason
Post #343545 7th Jul 2014 7:55pm
JWL

When mine went I did it through the insurance, just £50 excess. Autoglass came and fitted at home. It did take a fortnight though as they kept turning up with the wrong piece of glass. The "experts" at Autoglass kept telling me that I didn't have a rubber sealed glass with a high level brakelight. Rolling Eyes
Post #343553 7th Jul 2014 8:13pm
JWL

Doh, double post Embarassed
Post #343554 7th Jul 2014 8:13pm
dulwich man

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
munch90 wrote:
the toughening process puts surface tension on the glass that's why go with such a bang and smash to thousands of bits .
sometimes they just let go
see a subaru car one smash at the garage , no one near it , bit sunny but not hot , couldn't see any reason

Glass is funny stuff. it is in fact a super cooled liquid and the toughening process just adds to the complexity of the science of glass.

It is not that uncommon for glass just to spontaneously shatter given the amount of glass that is around. My school water glasses ( happy days) would just break and was not uncommon for this to happen say once every few weeks.
For those with really old trucks will in a 10's few years time be able to measure how old it is by measuring the difference in width at the top and the bottom. ( i am surprised caterham has not done this already) Think of it like lead on an old church roof - it flows like a liquid
Post #343558 7th Jul 2014 8:26pm
Jonno

Looking at the pile of bits in the back, it seems that there are no wires whatsover to the brake light unit and it's controlled via copper tracks similar to the heated rear screen.

So looking how well stuck the bits of glass are to the light unit, i'll probably need a new brake light too !

The fact that the screen has a bit of a tint on it and a brake light unit makes me think the usual glass places might struggle a bit.

Also the excess is 80 quid with Adrian Flux and they seem to say they use aftermarket glass, so I might ask LR tomorrow how much they want.

Having said that the original glass was hardly a model of quality. I can understand bonded screens cracking when the shell flexes but not a loosely rubber mounted one.

Jonno
Post #343616 8th Jul 2014 12:09am
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Jonno wrote:
The fact that the screen has a bit of a tint on it and a brake light unit makes me think the usual glass places might struggle a bit. Also the excess is 80 quid with Adrian Flux and they seem to say they use aftermarket glass, Jonno

Rubbish!

I am with Adrian Flux and have had three windscreens swapped out totally. You take it to Autoglass state you want OEM glass AND insist on a new seal, they do the job, you pay the excess. Job jobbed!

Adrian Flux stating 'they' use aftermarket glass is rot! They're insurance brokers not automotive glass fitters last time I looked!

Laughing If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #343652 8th Jul 2014 10:19am
Jonno

Just called autoglass and its at least £320...... apparently as its adrian flux underwritten by markerstudy they cant proceed and it has to be arranged by the insurer. 320 for such a basic screen does seem a lot.
Jono
Post #343666 8th Jul 2014 11:32am
Laurie

England 2005 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Bonatti Grey
Most insurers who give windscreen cover normally include all windows. Check your insurance. 
Post #343667 8th Jul 2014 11:38am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>