↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Events > Spring Adventure: Harrogate - 17th & 18th May
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
sweepc

2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
After a 97 mile drive this morning i wasnt too impressed either, payed for three adults and to be honest i felt ripped off entry fee was not fitting for such a show Big Cry

Didnt hear anything about the accident but i hope all are ok
Post #331826 18th May 2014 6:56pm
couplands

United Kingdom 2001 Defender 90 Td5 HT Oslo Blue
I went on Saturday and agree it was pretty poor.

It was more like Scrapheap Challenge with numerous sellers of knackered old tat. Apart from the aforementioned forum sponsors I couldn't see much stuff worth buying. I arrived around 11:00 and left about 13:30.

Very sorry to hear about the accident, I hope she is ok.

Cheers

Simon
Post #331857 18th May 2014 8:04pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
After a chat with security this evening, they told me she was comfortable
Hopefully she will soon be on the mend.
Barbara
Post #331882 18th May 2014 9:19pm
couplands

That's good to hear. Please give Diana our best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Cheers

Simon
Post #331887 18th May 2014 9:24pm
jeeves

United Kingdom 
I paid in advance for family tickets, and like others have mentioned , it was pretty poor....would you believe it, the post code on the tickets was for the Harrogate show arena from last year !!!
This meant we wasted an hour going into Harrogate before re- programming sat nav to go to the correct site.
When I complained upon arrival I was told that all pre booked ticket holders had been emailed to tell them of the mistake...I wasn't and wasted 2 hours of my day driving across country.
My wife then took the kids to the toilets and they were literally awash with human waste....
I'm pretty miffed to be honest ...... Crying or Very sad
Post #331891 18th May 2014 9:30pm
Green Machine

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Tonga Green
leeds wrote:
After a chat with security this evening, they told me she was comfortable
Hopefully she will soon be on the mend.
Barbara

What happened Barbara? I was there this afternoon watching the activities in the arena. 2005 Td5 | 90 Station Wagon | Tonga Green
Post #331903 18th May 2014 10:05pm
couplands

Here's a pic of one of the two show areas. Some of the trucks where travelling quickly around the obstacles when I was there on Saturday.

Click image to enlarge

Cheers

Simon
Post #331909 18th May 2014 10:21pm
warren

England 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Santorini Black
This was my first Land Rover show I'd been too, so I've not got anything to compare it to. Although I had a great weekend I have to say it wasn't what I was expecting. I'd wandered round the auto-jumbles, had a perv on the shiny motors and resisted the temptation to buy another, but I'd done all of that in the first couple of hours on the Saturday.

The woman hosting the events in the main arena got annoying quickly (especially the way she'd be interviewing someone, but not asking any questions, just giving statements and facts then putting the mic in someones face...), so I didn't spend much time there.

I went to see the band on the Saturday night, but there were only a handful of people there too, so didn't end up staying.

The campsite was, well..... slanted. We were near the bottom end, so it was on a slope.

Having said that, it was good to see some of the site sponsors with their own stands! I got a little bit excited when I saw them and recognised the cars I'd only seen on pictures on here! Although I didn't stop and have a natter, as they always seemed quite busy.

Planning on going to the LRO show in Peterborough though later this year.

Who knows, I might have a 110 by then Very Happy .... or if I let my head win over my heart, a Transit Rolling Eyes
Post #331927 18th May 2014 11:54pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Echo some of the comments made by others:

1. Car parking - done by idiots. I had to jump out to stop someone parking on my rear bumper and that's with the rear canopy rolled up and the dog in the back clearly visible. We got parked towards the top of the side slope and the guy next to me struggled to open the rear door on his Disco.

2. Road crossing - not what I'd expected and cars were whipping along the straight pretty fast. Difficult to get a crowd across. Not sure what the marshalls at the crossing point were supposed to be doing as they did nothing on the 4 occasions I used it?

3. Main area - a bit of a joke. It was tiny. Not sure what the point of putting a 5 litre Wildcat in there and making him go around at less than 5 mph because there was no room for him to let rip. This was Saturday morning and the lady commentator was at pains on the mike to try and ensure the vehicles tip-toed around. I take it something went wrong on the Sunday. I hope she recovers quickly.

4. Vendors - looked to be very much down on last year. Was hoping to see a couple of stands I'd seen last year and make a couple of decent purchases. In the end had to settle for a couple of Jate rings for the front end.

5. Value for money - definitely not. I paid in advance so tickets were £11. I think they were £15 on the door. By comparison we went to the Game Fair at Pickering on the Sunday. Tickets on the door were £8 and the show was 3 or 4 times the size and far more enjoyable. Driving out of Ripley Castle we saw the The Decorative Home and Salvage Show in what I took to be the actual Castle grounds - or at least closer than the Spring Adventure. I was thinking it but the Mrs said it - "I think we'd have had a better day out in there"!

I've been going to the various shows for the past 30 years or so since the days of Trentham Gardens.

But to finish on a positive note - did anyone clock the rc full scale replica - Axial A1. Googled it at home and there's a thread on the build here:

http://www.hull4x4.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=3322
Post #331955 19th May 2014 8:02am
Likeomg

2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
it was also my first LR show, saturday was a bit quiet down our end but sunday picked up a bit.

enjoyed it, will do more shows when I'm not away.
Post #331987 19th May 2014 10:08am
g-mack

United Kingdom 
i have mixed feelings about it!
sunshine made the day and its always great to see so many landys together!
really wanted to look at some exmoor seats but there were none to be found! also hoping to see some x eng kit, nope.
this may be just me but on numerous occasions i found it impossible to have a conversation with vendors for the incredibly loud trail bikes doing stunts in the arena i feel sorry for the guys right next to it.
still enjoyed it but it was only 90 mins away for me. had i traveled hundreds of miles i might be more disappointing.
i ended up spending 3 pounds on a dash clock retaining housing!! but had been prepared to spend a good few hundred. My 109 thread

my youtube channel
Post #331991 19th May 2014 10:26am
ken

United Kingdom 
The guys on D3 seemed to have enjoyed themselves
Post #331995 19th May 2014 10:39am
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Some more photos from the day:

Best camping accessory - a microwave:
[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]
[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]
[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]
[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

Sat on the dash:
[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]
of this:
[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

and yes it was hot:
[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
Post #332002 19th May 2014 11:13am
Mac22

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 DCPU Santorini Black
Well, I popped my cheery this being my first show and after a chaotic start things got progressively worst.... Whistle
Left far too late for the Friday 9PM deadline, then having to get food and fuel for cooking and other stupidness that should of been sorted earlier in the day.
But thanks to Paul (Shazzy) who saved the day, got us in when we landed after 11pm, The man is an absolute star.
Unfortunately after spending time with him and his family around a log fire, consuming alcohol I lost most of Saturday morning... Mr. Green...Next time it will be home made honey bourbon.

With nothing to set as a standard, I thought it was pretty good bar the shower / toilet fiasco.
Talking of fiasco's, cooking brecky on two trangia burners, one fell over due to the angle of the ground or prolly me still being Censored , set fire to my tail gate and after throwing the burner on the floor, it promptly set fire to the grass and being meths it's difficult to see the flame. Trying to use two litre bottles of water as fire extinguishers bare footed just doesn't cut it.

God only knows what my fellow campers thought, a semi naked drunk squirting water into the back of his DCPU and around his feet, jumping about like a demented tap dancer...

So I've had decided to get a drawer system fabricated and use gas...Updates to follow.

Few pics to follow..When the upload gremlins sort themselves out

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #333204 24th May 2014 1:36pm
shazzy90

good to see you enjoyed it mac,you never told me about he fire, well as for the drink ,you only have your self to blame home made baileys hooch should come with a public health warning,keep a eye out for me on sunday ,I will be passing your neck of the woods on route to Ireland
Post #333342 24th May 2014 10:57pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>