Home > Puma (Tdci) > Engine rattle?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
WAFU

England 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Barolo Black
Engine rattle?
Hi guys

After a bit of help. Ive been searching old posts on rattly engines and have tried changing to quality fuel rather than supermarket fuel, looked for a loose lifting hook etc but nothing has helped so far.

Its a 2.2 2013 with 4k miles. Its been getting louder as the miles increase and I can only describe the noise as "pinking". It does not happen when cold and starts to appear when when warming up, under full load it disappears but comes back when driving normally, it also appears to go when above 3.5k rpm. It also does not happen when revving in neutral. It is really loud and sounds worse than my old 300tdi with 200k on the clock! Its that bad!

I had a 2.2 replacement whilst mine was getting the leak fixed and that engine had none of my metallic pinking at all. It also felt a lot livelier than mine.

Im going to phone the dealer on Monday but wondered if anybody has an idea of what this could be?

Thanks guys Thumbs Up
Post #282726 16th Nov 2013 6:48pm
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
If you ever find the problem would be interested to know what it was.

Good luck with sorting it.
Post #282730 16th Nov 2013 6:56pm
Caterham

If you ever find the problem would be interested to know what it was.

Good luck with sorting it.
Post #282731 16th Nov 2013 6:56pm
bm52

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Havana
My 2.4 is exactly the same. Now with 32k miles on it and it has always been like it.
I short shifted to let the torque do the work which made it much better, now mine is an auto and I get to hear it again until I am at cruising speed or the auto lock-up has engaged.

Had it checked by the dealer and no faults found - "they all do that sir" Neutral BM52
Post #282742 16th Nov 2013 7:28pm
WAFU

Oh s**t really! I thought a modern diesel would be a little more refined than an old 300tdi! But the loan car was quiet as anything, in fact I checked under the bonnet to see if it had some extra sound proofing over mine.

This doesn't sound like Im going to get any joy from the dealer then. Im still going to check with them though just in case Crying or Very sad
Post #282752 16th Nov 2013 7:46pm
Naks

South Africa 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Alpine White
sounds like you need to get the injector learning re-done? --
2010 Defender Puma 90 + BAS remap + Alive IC + Slickshift + Ashcroft ATB rear
2015 Range Rover Sport V8 Supercharged

Defender Puma Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zZ1en9
Discovery 4 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zXrtKO
Range Rover/Sport L320/L322/L494 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zc58JQ
Post #282758 16th Nov 2013 8:08pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Installing a BAS remap made my 2.4 a LOT quieter.
Post #282760 16th Nov 2013 8:10pm
WAFU

Naks wrote:
sounds like you need to get the injector learning re-done?

I was thinking along those lines after reading the thread by lorryman that he posted a while back.

Once the car is out of warranty I will look into getting a re map done. Interested to know why a re map quietens the engine down though.
Post #282761 16th Nov 2013 8:16pm
Naks

South Africa 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Alpine White
blackwolf wrote:

that too, but first make sure you have the latest LR map and that the dealer has carried out the injector learning.

Also, no need to wait until the truck is out of warranty, that's the beauty of the BAS remap unit - you set it back to the LR map before taking it to the stealer.

The injectors are quieter on the remap because they are running more efficiently? --
2010 Defender Puma 90 + BAS remap + Alive IC + Slickshift + Ashcroft ATB rear
2015 Range Rover Sport V8 Supercharged

Defender Puma Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zZ1en9
Discovery 4 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zXrtKO
Range Rover/Sport L320/L322/L494 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zc58JQ
Post #282773 16th Nov 2013 8:34pm
WAFU

Cool, I didn't know that about the BAS map, will check that out tonight. Im hoping that this injector re learn might help. Thumbs Up
Post #282784 16th Nov 2013 9:04pm
bm52

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Havana
the injector re-learn is interesting. Is there any way you can tell/test whether it needs a re-learn without LR diagnostics, I have a good reader but no fault codes are showing? BM52
Post #282789 16th Nov 2013 9:25pm
o4dn

France 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Alaska White
blackwolf wrote:

I agree with everything said, remap is great and removes the lag and misfire induced by the EGR, but I disagree on this one, the injectors definetely sound louder, especially under load, as compared with the standard map with EGR.
Post #282797 16th Nov 2013 9:42pm
AlanH

Australia 
I agree o4dn. I've just reinstalled my BAS remap and the beast definitely sounds noisier. I've spoken (electronically only) with Peter and he says to return it to standard for the injector learn but that seems to me to be a bit strange as I would have thought the remap would change the settings so the learn should be done with it.
I've admitted to Peter that I'm a bit thick (those who know me will say I'm being somewhat disingenuous there as I'm totally thick) and have asked for his further advices.
AlanH.
Post #283427 19th Nov 2013 9:44am
Lorryman100

The injector relearn is for the individual injectors and it is always best, as Pete says to return the Puma to standard. Each injector has a 16 digit hex code printed on it and these are the values that you enter into the diagnostic tool for each injector. There are several reasons for injectors having Hex codes one of which is as that each injector produced by the tooling machine will have slightly different tolerances to the next one due to the wear on the tool bit, or different tooling machines producing the same injector etc.

You need a diagnostic tool to do an injector relearn which can take several engine cycles for the EMS to get the optimum settings.

As far as I am aware the 2.2 puma does not support the Alien tech remap interface? Hence why some owners have 2 ECU's, one remapped and the other OEM for dealer visits?

If you are worried about the extra rattle and have access to a diagnostic tool you could always check the fuel rail pressure with both the OEM and remapped file. But if you have any concerns about a remap you have fitted speak to the tuner as each remap is individual and he will be able to tweak the settings until you are happy. Thumbs Up
Post #283491 19th Nov 2013 4:54pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Caterham

sorry I'm gonna go off on one here but I believe mine is working as it should at the moment which is a real eye opener as far as I'm concerned......

anyhow other than the pinking which is now substantially less than its been in the past another obvious item I've noticed which differentiates between its working well and not is the engine hunting / lurching. I've been to a multi storey car park that I visit each month and i was able smoothly negotiate the ramps from one level to another in 1st or 2nd gear without the kangaroo fuel scenario. in other words I can now manouver the car in 1st gear smoothly without kangarooing or having to constantly slip the clutch.....

what I'm getting at here is does everything else function as you'd expect it to.....engine response good when changing gears etc. I would suggest (and its only a suggestion) that if everything else is as you'd expect then perhaps other than injector learn it's simply the defender noise in part due to a lack of sound proofing?
Post #283571 19th Nov 2013 10:07pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>