↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > Two questions re. TD5 engine....
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Two questions re. TD5 engine....
I'd be grateful for any advice on the following please:-

1) What is the most likely source of an oil leak on a TD5 which appears to be coming from the general area of the fuel pressure regulator/back of head? I wondered if it could be the bung that is aligned with the camshaft. If so, is it an easy job to replace?

2) Has anyone had to replace the screwed plug in the cylinder head water gallery that is on the face to which the exhaust manifold fits? Is it straightforward to replace, shoudl it be fitted with sealant?

In this case my TD5 is actually in a Dicso 2, but the level of knowledge is so great in this forum I am sure someone here can advise.

Many thanks! Thumbs Up
Post #265486 11th Sep 2013 8:21am
Nidge

Ireland 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HCPU Cairns Blue
My guess for the oil leak is rocker cover gasket , if it wasn't seated correctly at the back, can be bit awkard to aline.

Handy job to change and when you have the rocker cover off change the injector harness as well. Thumbs Up

Regards

Nidge.
Post #265491 11th Sep 2013 8:30am
bob neville

Spain 2001 Defender 90 Td5 SW Epsom Green
1. Not 100% sure from the description but that sounds like the cam cover crescent leaking - very common.
Take the cam cover off and remove the gasket. At the back you will see the semi circular area that is notorious for not seating correctly and leaking. Get a new gasket/seal and clean everything off and when refitting you can use some sealant to keep the back in position whilst refitting. Had mine done a few months back and has been fine since.

2. I believe there is a post on here about this - not sure which section. From memory it was an easy job and no sealant.

Bob 2015 Jaguar XE240 R Sport - goes like ....... !!
2013 Defender 90 CSW - sold
2009 Defender 110 Double Cab - sold
2001 TD5 90 CSW - offroad project - sold to a forum member
2011 Porsche Boxster - for the sunny days !
Post #265492 11th Sep 2013 8:33am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Brtilliant, thanks folks! Thumbs Up

I changed the injector harness years ago (following the "Blackwolf guide to having no further injector harness problems" as described elsewhere on this forum) and have had no issues with that since, but the oil leak is a recent development. Still, with over 200,000 miles on the clock a few problems are to be expected.
Post #265550 11th Sep 2013 10:19am
Skye_Rover

Scotland 1998 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Cairns Blue
It's always too easy to get that rear seal crescent cocked-over on the Disco TD5. The problem is the bulkhead when you are putting the cam cover back on again, which doesn't give a problem on the Defender. Hence I seem to see many more oil leaks on Discos than Defender TD5's Laughing If you are looking for the problem, it is easy to rectify before the screws go in. Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads.
Post #266474 13th Sep 2013 10:37pm
MadTom

Czech Republic 1999 Defender 130 Td5 HCPU Baltic Blue
Last week I have changed the seal below the valve cover - much easier on Def than on Disco2. But if you place some drops of engine grade silicone sealant on the cover and use is as a temporary gue to hold the seal on the cover, it will be much easier to place the cover with seal correctly back. And also don't forget to place 2 small drops on the right place on the back side of engine (on the ends oh half-moon part of the seal)- it is described in Disco2 RAVE (but not in Defender RAVE).
I have also place very thin smear of the silicone on all sealing surface of engine head, just to be sure.
It is not good to have oil leak on back of the engine, as it can oil the clutch.
Post #270807 1st Oct 2013 9:06pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1