↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Attention ECU Experts?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
mrwoo

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Epsom Green
Attention ECU Experts?
Recently I had the software update mentioned in:
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic1834.html?highlight=software
This resulted in me having a new ECU because Land Rover could not successfully write the new software to my original ECU without it causing engine problems. Anyway, after about a 3 > 4 weeks of running with the new software I am discovering that (mainly when cold) the engine seems to have some hesitation around 1500>2000 rpm's mainly in the higher hears (extra load). I know most software maps have a different fuel to air ratio dependent on engine temperature so I am wondering whether it is the new map or the following fault codes: ( I have put my thoughts next to the ones I think I can explain)

P0100 = Mass or Volume Air Flow "A" Circuit (Blanked EGR, worked fine before software update)
U0155 = Lost Communication with Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC) Control Module (don’t know, is this the problem?)
P268C - Cylinder 1 Injector Data Incompatible (don’t know, is this the problem?)
P268D - Cylinder 2 Injector Data Incompatible (don’t know, is this the problem?)
P268E - Cylinder 3 Injector Data Incompatible (don’t know, is this the problem?)
P268F - Cylinder 4 Injector Data Incompatible (don’t know, is this the problem?)
P167B - Fuel Injector Learning Not Done (don’t know, is this the problem?)
P0404 - Exhaust Gas Recirculation "A" Control Circuit Range/Performance (Blanked EGR, worked fine before software update)
P0606 - Control Module Processor (don’t know, is this the problem?)
P1103 - Mass Air Flow Sensor in Range But Higher Than Expected (Blanked EGR, worked fine before software update)

I have read somewhere that you have to teach injectors as a separate practice to installing new software, does anybody know how to do this?

I just wanted to know if anyone can help me before heading off to Land Rover again? Thanks Question
Post #25761 4th Mar 2010 9:20am
dgardel

Italy 
Re: Attention ECU Experts?
In my opinion the scenario could be:

P0100 = Mass or Volume Air Flow "A" Circuit (Blanked EGR, worked fine before software update)
Blanked EGR for sure!!!

U0155 = Lost Communication with Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC) Control Module (don’t know, is this the problem?)
Due to low battery during engine starting and/or OBD scanner usage

P268C - Cylinder 1 Injector Data Incompatible (don’t know, is this the problem?)
P268D - Cylinder 2 Injector Data Incompatible (don’t know, is this the problem?)
P268E - Cylinder 3 Injector Data Incompatible (don’t know, is this the problem?)
P268F - Cylinder 4 Injector Data Incompatible (don’t know, is this the problem?)
the dealer miss or do wrong injectors learn and calibration procedure

P0404 - Exhaust Gas Recirculation "A" Control Circuit Range/Performance (Blanked EGR, worked fine before software update)
Blanked EGR for sure!!! remember new SW could mean new controls parameters

may be related to U0155

P1103 - Mass Air Flow Sensor in Range But Higher Than Expected (Blanked EGR, worked fine before software update)
Blanked EGR for sure!!! remember new SW could mean new controls parameters Discovery 5 td6 HSE Stornoway Gray Outback Engineering Limited Edition

IID Pro MV License
Post #25763 4th Mar 2010 9:35am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
mrwoo

dgardel wrote:

Blanked EGR for sure!!!

may be related to U0155

Thanks for that, is the injector learning process part of the software update?
Post #25769 4th Mar 2010 11:59am
dgardel

Italy 
mrwoo wrote:
dgardel wrote:

Blanked EGR for sure!!!

may be related to U0155

Thanks for that, is the injector learning process part of the software update?

Yes..

And double yes concerning the ECU substitution......... Discovery 5 td6 HSE Stornoway Gray Outback Engineering Limited Edition

IID Pro MV License
Post #25770 4th Mar 2010 12:23pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
mrwoo

Ok guys, I have cleared the faults re-installed the map and I am still getting the following:

P268C - Cylinder 1 Injector Data Incompatible
P268D - Cylinder 2 Injector Data Incompatible
P268E - Cylinder 3 Injector Data Incompatible
P268F - Cylinder 4 Injector Data Incompatible
P167B - Fuel Injector Learning Not Done

I may struggle to get the dealer to do anything as there is no MIL light on?

Pete at BAS any clues mate?
Post #25818 4th Mar 2010 9:58pm
bell-auto-services

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Hi

Yup , tell the dealer to

Go into service functions and do injector replacement using the injector codes on the top of the injectors - entering the numbers into the IDS screen.

These functions are part of a process that should be done automotically when fitting a new ecu to your Defender. The old data is read from the original engine ecu as part of the process before the new ecu is fitted.
But if your old ecu did not have the required data inside for IDS to retrive, then this part of the process will still be outstanging - hence the fault codes.
Post #25827 4th Mar 2010 10:49pm
mrwoo

bell-auto-services wrote:
Hi

Yup , tell the dealer to

Go into service functions and do injector replacement using the injector codes on the top of the injectors - entering the numbers into the IDS screen.

These functions are part of a process that should be done automotically when fitting a new ecu to your Defender. The old data is read from the original engine ecu as part of the process before the new ecu is fitted.
But if your old ecu did not have the required data inside for IDS to retrive, then this part of the process will still be outstanging - hence the fault codes.

Pete, you are a star as always mate Thumbs Up
Post #25829 4th Mar 2010 11:08pm
bell-auto-services

Re the mil light and your dealer not re looking at your car unless its on, you could allways remove a connector from one of the injectors and turn the key on Whistle

Pete
Post #25831 4th Mar 2010 11:11pm
mrwoo

Re the mil light and your dealer not re looking at your car unless its on, you could allways remove a connector from one of the injectors and turn the key on Whistle

Pete

Cheers Pete, is this something you could sort out if I brought it to you for a service in the next couple of weeks?
Post #25832 4th Mar 2010 11:14pm
bell-auto-services

The only concern id have is your warranty and me programming a new ecu that has just being replaced under warranty not knowing the full storey as to why they havent already compleated this procedure as part of fitting it.

But if you wish for me to try , im game Very Happy

It may be De-Ja-Vo but have i not already tried on your car with your old ecu and i suspected a possibile wireing fault ?
Ive something simlar going round in my mind and cant put my tounge on it.

Pete

Last edited by bell-auto-services on 4th Mar 2010 11:20pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #25833 4th Mar 2010 11:17pm
mrwoo

The only concern id have is your warranty and me programming a new ecu that has just being replaced under warranty not knowing the full storey as to why they havent already compleated this procedure as part of fitting it.

But if you wish for me to try , im game Very Happy

Pete

I'm just thinking of a contingency plan as I am out of warranty in about 4 weeks, I'll probably go to the dealer with what you've mentioned and get them to sort it out. I'll still be giving you a call for the service though so I can pop up and have brew with you (you can put it on the bill) Thumbs Up
Post #25834 4th Mar 2010 11:20pm
bell-auto-services

Give your dealer a call and say,,,, you was in Ripon and the car was having problems so you went to Ripon landrover and asked them to take a look.

They told you it needed the injector codes relearning after interegation with there IDS, you promplty said you dont have time now you will speak with your local dealers to do it Smile

Failing that ill do my best for you when in for the service,, bring the chockie bikkies Smile

Pete
Post #25835 4th Mar 2010 11:22pm
discocuzzy

England 
Now thats service Bow down Thumbs Up You cannot teach stupid people to do clever things
Post #25842 5th Mar 2010 1:24am
lrmaniac

Portugal 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Keswick Green
Hi !

I'm a newbie on these aspects of "tunning" and stuff.... Very Happy
Hope ou don't mind I use this thread to clarify some doubts I have ... Question
But I've been reading carefully you posts on ECU remap and I have one or two questions .... Confused

By doing that aren't we gonna raise some problems regarding warranty issues? If I have a problem in the meantime can't they refuse to fix something beacause I did some changes to the ECU?

What do "we" gain on doing such modifications to the ECU? I mean, why more horsepower and torque? For offroad use ?
Can the dealer be the one to do this sort of thing if we ask too?

And by the way, the puma brings the speed limited to 140 kmh?
Thanks! Regards
Joao

'10 Land Rover Defender 110 CC
'08 BMW F800GS
'64 SIIA Forward Control
'69 SIIA 109 ZA CKD
Post #26266 8th Mar 2010 6:40pm
bell-auto-services

Hi lrmaniac

referring to your cars and warranty,the BAS interface lets you return your car to standard tune at any point in time you wish therefore it could be made standard before any dealer visits.

The gains are tipicly 28bhp and 65nm of torque.

The speed limiter is also removed as part of the tuning if you so wish.

Pete
Post #26285 8th Mar 2010 9:32pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>