↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > isolator switch
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
custom90

United Kingdom 
isolator switch
Hi i want to isolate my spot lights as they've been flattening my battery using a small current over time so i've decided to buy an isolator switch http://www.devon4x4.com/products_a/p6c126/...witch.html i was going to use a 20A infuse between battery positive and switch and 2nd terminal for load (lights) my question is how should i connect the cables to the above switch should i use 2x crimp eyelets or place cables direct to switch terminals and tighten up well? thanks
Post #25245 26th Feb 2010 8:02pm
scatt

England 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Alpine White
Isnt that a bit of an overkill?? if your spotlights are draining your battery woulnt it be worth finding out why??? I cant understand how your spotlights drain your battery if there feed through the ignition/ relay etc.
Post #25246 26th Feb 2010 8:05pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
coil staying energised on relay when connected direct all fused and working correctly just the small current when vehicle parked is causing flat battery (i have tried to fix this no joy). also lets me use LR main beam independantly from spots. isolator switch ON main beam ON LR Main beam lights and Spots on. isolator OFF LR Main beam lights ON spots OFF. How would you suggest i connect the wires to the switch crimp eyelets or just cable bolted tight?
Post #25248 26th Feb 2010 8:40pm
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Deja Vu!
Konabikes11,

Thought I had a case of deja vu......and cannot understand why this has been raised again separate from the original thread?

http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic2635.h...at+battery

There was obviously considerable debate about your spotlights and the associated flat battery they were causing. In your first post you state "Hello i have only had my 57 plate 90 Puma for about 5 weeks" and you then state " It's all standard except spot lamps (wired by LR dealer)"

It beggars belief that the cure now proposed is now going to be an 'isolation switch!'

If you still insist that this is the way forward then a simple dashboard switch isolating your relay(s) from the battery would be better: The driving light switch with the number 2 in it is part no YUG 000540LNF purchased from www.britishparts.co.uk or your local dealers. For the relay coil(s) supply a 1 amp not 20 amp fuse for protection will suffice. Better still as I suggested before "Even if the 3 year one is up the dealers would have provided some form of warranty surely? konabikes11 go bang the dealers desk! Save the multimeter lessons till your warranty expires!" After all they fitted it...wrongly apparently from the previous thread...let them fix it!

The switch depicted is a battery isolation switch not a spotlamp isolation switch. 'Sledgehammer and nut' springs to the forefront of my mind. Please excuse my cynisism! The isolation switch proposal is a sticking plaster rather than a cure to the problem! If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #25281 27th Feb 2010 10:39am
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
Not reading the full thing - why not replace the relay if its sticking or remaining energised...it shouldnt be. Simple Mike
Post #25455 28th Feb 2010 8:29pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
mse wrote:
Not reading the full thing - why not replace the relay if its sticking or remaining energised...it shouldnt be. Simple

I am i'm just waiting for it to arive Smile
Post #25489 1st Mar 2010 12:13pm
K9F

Sticking Relay????
A 'sticking' relay will not draw current as it doesn't need power to remain energised. The circuit it's providing won't power until you select main beam! Thought the relay had been determined as being wired wrong with terminals 30 and 86 cross connected?????
MSE you need to read the other associated thread to see where the frustration stems from! Why aren't the dealers sorting this out under warranty?

Sorry Konabikes but this is becoming boring now. Get the dealers on the case. If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Post #25491 1st Mar 2010 12:31pm
roel

Netherlands 2003 Defender 90 Td5 PU Caledonian Blue
There is a problem with some D3's too. If you have the LR spotlights fitted to the roofrack and you don't switch them off before shutting the car down, some relays keep being energized. You have to switch the rooflights off before shutting the car down and then it is OK. Roel

1984 90 2.5 na Diesel - RR V8 (1994-2001)
1997 Camel Trophy Discovery 300TDI (2001-2009)
2005 G4 Discovery III 4.4 V8 (2008-2018) It's gone but it still hurts.
2003 90 Td5 (2009-now)
Post #25496 1st Mar 2010 1:32pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
sorry K9 but i wont be boring you no more. i've sorted it...... Whistle
Post #25790 4th Mar 2010 3:44pm
K9F

Happy for you I am!
konabikes11 wrote:
sorry K9 but i wont be boring you no more. i've sorted it...... Whistle

I am pleased for you! Seriously I am! Two threads 41 posts later and it's done! Still have to ask why the dealers didn't sort it when the wiring was fitted by them and the vehicle is still under warranty? I was not alone in posing that question and also devoted time and effort in attempting to assist!

'Nuff said! Glad it's sorted! Hopefully not with some Mary Shelley Frankenstein type isolation switch! Laughing
Thumbs Up If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Post #25808 4th Mar 2010 8:40pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
the dealer i bought it from is 80 odd miles away and i couldn't be bothered with the hastle as they did give me the option to take off the A bar lights ect anyway and put standard bumper back on for free but i decided to have the A bar ect. all it's cost me is effort (nothing else much on anyway) a multi meter which is usefull and the new relay £4 or so so all in all not bad. Also i hitched up my trailer today for the first time to check lights work ect all good Very Happy So thank-you every one who helped. (including K9F & Ralph) Wink oh and it also cost me about 2 hadaches Laughing
Post #25810 4th Mar 2010 8:59pm
K9F

It is always satisfying when you sort something out yourself! Should have realised that you're in Somerset! Kids live Burnham on Mud! Reminds me a bit like Norfolk unless you're lucky enough to live near a town it can be quite a trek for even the basics! Harvest time you have to watch out for bouncing sugar beet that have become dislodged from a trailer! More likely cider apples in your case I would imagine!
Laughing If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Post #25817 4th Mar 2010 9:48pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
K9F wrote:
It is always satisfying when you sort something out yourself! Should have realised that you're in Somerset! Kids live Burnham on Mud! Reminds me a bit like Norfolk unless you're lucky enough to live near a town it can be quite a trek for even the basics! Harvest time you have to watch out for bouncing sugar beet that have become dislodged from a trailer! More likely cider apples in your case I would imagine!
Laughing

Hills are the biggest problem Sad
Post #25836 4th Mar 2010 11:37pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1