Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Michael S

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Tonga Green
Re: Starting/ECU problem
sasha2001 wrote:
Michael S wrote:
I have a 2009 TDCi 110 XS utility wagon which replaced a near faultless 2003 110 Td5 County double cab and it is a huge leap forward in almost every respect.

Unfortunately I have a recurring problem where the engine drives normally with no warning lights; get to destination, park, get back in and try to start but the temperature gauge goes to maximum deflection (although not hot) and the engine turns over but won't fire. Had LR assist (the AA) out once, trucked to dealer who only reported a poor connection on the ECU plug. I have since discovered on recurrence of this problem that pulling the 30amp ECU fuse in the fuse box under the drivers seat sorts (resets?) the problem. I haven't yet found a convenient time not sort it myself. The problem more often manifests itself after a long run but not necessarily. It may not happen for a week and then three times in the same day.

Anyone else experienced the same problem and know the remedy?

Michael

may not be related but I has the same thing on 7 year old TD5, go to start, turned over but would no fire up, noticed tamperature zone in red but not hot, then later would start and then run rough like it was missing
the main stealers said computer stuffed!!!! then I found a thread:
http://forum.landrovernet.com/showthread.p...ost1171151

just by running and extra earth wire from the ECU to a different clean chasssi point it went away!!! and cleaned the other earth connection

Interesting. Just got my Defender back today after a week(!) with dealer (actually second week out of the last three) and they have "remade" the connections in the engine ECU plug and cleaned and re-sealed all the earth strap connections. Having had it back only the afternoon each time I get in it I'm still filled with trepidation but hopefully after fortnight I'll be back to being relaxed and pleased as I was before the problem occurred. If it does reoccur it'll be for sale!

Michael
Post #24402 15th Feb 2010 9:33pm
sasha2001

Russia 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Tonga Green
Re: Starting/ECU problem
Michael S wrote:
sasha2001 wrote:
Michael S wrote:
I have a 2009 TDCi 110 XS utility wagon which replaced a near faultless 2003 110 Td5 County double cab and it is a huge leap forward in almost every respect.

Unfortunately I have a recurring problem where the engine drives normally with no warning lights; get to destination, park, get back in and try to start but the temperature gauge goes to maximum deflection (although not hot) and the engine turns over but won't fire. Had LR assist (the AA) out once, trucked to dealer who only reported a poor connection on the ECU plug. I have since discovered on recurrence of this problem that pulling the 30amp ECU fuse in the fuse box under the drivers seat sorts (resets?) the problem. I haven't yet found a convenient time not sort it myself. The problem more often manifests itself after a long run but not necessarily. It may not happen for a week and then three times in the same day.

Anyone else experienced the same problem and know the remedy?

Michael

may not be related but I has the same thing on 7 year old TD5, go to start, turned over but would no fire up, noticed tamperature zone in red but not hot, then later would start and then run rough like it was missing
the main stealers said computer stuffed!!!! then I found a thread:
http://forum.landrovernet.com/showthread.p...ost1171151

just by running and extra earth wire from the ECU to a different clean chasssi point it went away!!! and cleaned the other earth connection

Interesting. Just got my Defender back today after a week(!) with dealer (actually second week out of the last three) and they have "remade" the connections in the engine ECU plug and cleaned and re-sealed all the earth strap connections. Having had it back only the afternoon each time I get in it I'm still filled with trepidation but hopefully after fortnight I'll be back to being relaxed and pleased as I was before the problem occurred. If it does reoccur it'll be for sale!

Michael
checked about my old truck the guy got a new ecu for it and changed it , it was still going fine when he did this after 6 months with the new strap etc he is keeping the other one in the truck as a spare as its already mapped to that engine etc but as its under warranty if it plays up insist on a new ECU as well tell them its doing this a lot and it must be a total ecu failure so please change etc cheaper for you
show them the thread maybe
Post #24411 16th Feb 2010 5:18am
nicks

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Alaska White
mine did this, but only when you leave the indicator on - ie indicate left to park on side of road, switch engine off, but leave indicator sitched to left. get back in, press fob to diactivate imobiliser, turn ignition and the gauges do all sorts of wierd things -- turn indicator back of and everything is normal
Post #24451 16th Feb 2010 5:56pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
spudfan

Ireland 
Heard a discussion on the radio today concerning cars not locking/unlocking and not starting. All had keyfobs and immobilisers etc. All were different makes. The problems only arose with different people in different places and intermittently. No one had a definitive answer but various things were blamed like- mobile phone masts, satellite dishes picking up Eastern European stations, wireless broadband. One woman could not unlock/lock two cars and her garage door all of which were on different fobs and different frequencies. Her bother started when a mobile phone mast went up in the area. Anyway no one had a definitive answer. The good news is that we are not alone! 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
1992 110 200tdi csw -Zikali
2008 110 2.4 tdci csw-Zulu
2011 110 2.4 tdci csw-Masai
Post #24452 16th Feb 2010 6:03pm
Grockle

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
was it on Gerry Ryan's prog Spud? 2.4 90 XS
1968 1/32 scale Britains 109 Pick up.
Post #24453 16th Feb 2010 6:05pm
spudfan

Ireland 
It was Liveline. The woman who could not access her car or garage had the Boys in Blue out. They could not lock or unlock the police car! Anyway you will be able to access it on the RTE website on the Podcast page. Just checked and it is not up yet. Podcasts seem to run a day behind so check tomorrow. Highly enjoyable but the mystery is not yet solved. 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
Post #24454 16th Feb 2010 6:37pm
Grockle

good old Joe Duffy eh Thumbs Up 2.4 90 XS
Post #24455 16th Feb 2010 6:45pm
spudfan

Ireland 
Yep, make sure you give it a listen, it was very good!! 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
Post #24456 16th Feb 2010 6:46pm
Grockle

often do mate on 252 LW 2.4 90 XS
Post #24457 16th Feb 2010 6:53pm
Michael S

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Tonga Green
A whole fortnight and the problem has not recurred so I guess we have to call it fixed so well done to Lookers LR Bishop's Stortford and LR technical support for getting it sorted.

Michael
Post #25500 1st Mar 2010 3:08pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12