Home > Puma (Tdci) > My Tdci Problems
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Mr.Boots

Ireland 
My Tdci Problems
Hey guys,
im new here and Loving the site....SO Hows It Going Fellow Pumas!!!
I have my 07 Puma hard top County Pack since november, its my first Land rover and i love it....warts and all.
I had a problen with it loosing power and the dealer updated the software and its ok now.
The vacume pump started leaking after a few weeks of ownership so it was replaced.
Ball joints (Proper Name???) on the front wheels are seeping and awaiting new seals.
The gearbox is clunking in 1 2 3 , what should i get done here??
There is water in the drivers footwell...again what needs to be done here?
Wind noise from drivers side door above window...again what should be done?
Rust around rim of headlights...waranty cover this?
Clutch is heavy compared to a normal car...is this normal?
What else should i get checked before warranty runs out? is it worth getting a AA engineer to do up a list of faults???
Also what speakers are a good upgrade? it sounds like a radio in a biscuit tin at the moment.

Ohh one last thing...... at 40kph on bad road surfaces it bounces around like Dillio and feels like im going to be thrown into a ditch ......IS IT NORMAL?
Post #23574 4th Feb 2010 9:23pm
spudfan

Ireland 
If this is your first Land Rover do not approach it as you would a"normal" car, as it is a compltely different animal.
Owing to the permanent four wheel drive set up and the long prop shafts some clunking in the transmission can be experienced if you come off the clutch very quickly. I come off it gently and I have no clunks. Try coming off the clutch easily and don't rush changes. See if that makes a difference.
Water in the driver's footwell means you have a leak. It could be a number of places and your dealer should have a list of possible entry points. If you want them you will get them on this site, but it can be trial and error tracing the entry point. I have no leaks in my Puma.
Owing to the shape of the vehicle there is more wind noise at speed than other "normal" type cars. If you have a draught it could be the seal at the top of the door or the door might need adjusted in. It might seem bad to you but to a seasoned Land Rover driver it could be normal. Get someone who owns a Land Rover to drive and compare to their own.
Get the headlight rims replaced under warranty.
The clutch will feel heavier than other cars you have driven The clutch on the Puma is no way near as heavy as earlier Land Rovers. You should try the clutch on a 200 tdi! I find the Puma clutch really light in comparison.
I have not had any soft ware updates done to my Puma and she runs beautifully.
Can't comment on the speakers as compared to earlier Land Rovers the sound system is pretty good. Never having owned a "normal" car I just compare this Land Rover to previous incarnations.
By all means get an independent assessment on your Land Rover if you like but it generally takes a long time for things to wear out.
Driving on bad surfaces should be done slowly. Remember you have a pretty hefty suspension system underneath you. It is designed to keep your wheels in contact with the ground at all times.
Hope the above gives you some reassurance, and above all enjoy the vehicle. It is truly wonderful. 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
1992 110 200tdi csw -Zikali
2008 110 2.4 tdci csw-Zulu
2011 110 2.4 tdci csw-Masai
Post #23591 5th Feb 2010 12:21am
peanutbob

United Kingdom 
And that is as perfect as an answer as you could wish for! You could replace the 4 x 3.5 inch speakers with a better make. I replaced mine with some discounted Sony speakers at at total cost of £35.00 which took all of 15 minutes. Better not not hugely so, needs a compact sub for some bass, or larger speakers - but there are plenty of other superior posts on speaker upgrades on this forum!
Post #23592 5th Feb 2010 12:44am
Mr.Boots

Ireland 
Cheers for that lads Thumbs Up
It clunks no matter how gently i let the clutch out...i think the dealer will just have to investigate.
The wind noise i mentioned is on one side and not the other so i guessed oit was a seal or door.

Another question....can anyone recomend a good roof rack...cant afford a patriot im afraid Crying or Very sad
Or if you know of a used one for sale?
Thanx again
Post #23594 5th Feb 2010 1:33am
PDH

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Hey Mr.Boots welcome to the forum

Spudfan's reply is bang on...

For the clunking gear box, do you mean that there is more "resistance" when tyring to get it into those gears?

Mines suffering the same thing and im waiting for some replacement parts from the dealer to fix this (cant for the life of me remember what they called these parts!! Confused ) but i know theyre on back order....lol

As for the wind noise/draft its likely just your door needs aligning, quick job by the dealer. my back door was completely refitted as it was catching on the latch side but also way out of alignment at the top.

Just book it in with your local stealer and they'll sort it out....

good look and post some pics Puma 2.2 90 Stationwagon
Post #23621 5th Feb 2010 2:17pm
jlerra

Gibraltar 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
Door wind noise
Hi Boot/s,
Doubtful whether you'll get rid of the wind noise as it is a design embedded since 1947, however, the Puma has a stiffer door and although less wind noise, the aerodynamics dictate that you will always have noise - different noise whether the passenger window is closes or not due to equilibration of air in the cabin.
The 'clunk' noise on the gear change is there because of the flexibility of the mountings of the gearbox in relation to the propshaft and other ancillaries. As previously stated, you can replace the gearbox and still get a 'clunk' get used to changing gear gently ( a compassionate gear change).
Water leaks on the footwell is common and often dictated by the angle the vehicle is parked e.g. If I park the front of the vehicle on a gradient I get wet footwells - but not if it is parked on level ground.
Speakers - well a active sub woofer will do wonders, but the wiring may not be there like the SVX.
Like you say - I love my LHD 90 - warts and all.
Tra-la-lu

'El pepe flamenco' Laughing JLS
'El Pepe Flamenco'
Post #23626 5th Feb 2010 3:41pm
Mr.Boots

Ireland 
Here she is.....

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
[/img]
Post #23644 5th Feb 2010 5:02pm
spudfan

Ireland 
Nice vehicle. I wonder if the snorkel has anything to do with the wind noise? 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
1992 110 200tdi csw -Zikali
2008 110 2.4 tdci csw-Zulu
2011 110 2.4 tdci csw-Masai
Post #23674 5th Feb 2010 8:15pm
Mr.Boots

Ireland 
Im thinking the dealer will insist it is...But no..the noise was there before i fitted it.
Post #23676 5th Feb 2010 8:21pm
dgardel

Italy 
My doors was bent in the "right way" from an old "car bodies repair" that know very well the defender (what hearth (mine) pain during the operations)...

Now when you close the doors of my car are like my past Volvo (S60), "clonck" (not more "sbleng").... Discovery 5 td6 HSE Stornoway Gray Outback Engineering Limited Edition

IID Pro MV License
Post #23682 5th Feb 2010 8:32pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1