Home > Puma (Tdci) > Rear door courtesy light
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Colin

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Keswick Green
Rear door courtesy light
Hi,

I am looking to fit a switch, so the courtesy light comes on when I open the rear door. I expected to find the wiring for it behind the metal box covering the rear lights on the driver side, but only found the pair speaker wiring and a pair of wires with power on them. The pair with the power look like they are for a cigarette lighter/accessory socket that could fit nicely in the blanked off hole next to the harness for the heated window/wiper. But, no wiring for the courtesy light.

So, does anyone know where I can pick up a connection for the courtesy light?

Cheers,

Colin
Post #23349 1st Feb 2010 9:40am
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Several Options!
Colin,

You need a positive live supply at or in the vicinity of the rear door without putting the ignition on. This from your explanation you appear to have already. I am surprised you don't have a courtesy light already. There are a few relatively easy options available to you;

1. Run a new cable directly from the battery (remember to fuse it) through the rear doorswitch to the light.

2. Parallel off the existing positive supply from your front doorswitch (feed into the switch) and run that through the rear doorswitch to the light. No fusing needed in this instance.

3. Use one of the two cables you have already with power on through the rear doorswitch to the light. As a precaution and if you cannot determine the fuse protection on these cables put a three or four amp inline fuse in before the switch dependant on wattage rating of your bulb. Remember Power(Wattage) = Voltage x Current.

On mine I have front and rear courtesy lights that both illuminate on any door opening or upon unlocking.

Hope this helps. Thumbs Up If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #23353 1st Feb 2010 10:38am
dgardel

Italy 
Re: Rear door courtesy light
Colin wrote:
Hi,

I am looking to fit a switch, so the courtesy light comes on when I open the rear door. I expected to find the wiring for it behind the metal box covering the rear lights on the driver side, but only found the pair speaker wiring and a pair of wires with power on them. The pair with the power look like they are for a cigarette lighter/accessory socket that could fit nicely in the blanked off hole next to the harness for the heated window/wiper. But, no wiring for the courtesy light.

So, does anyone know where I can pick up a connection for the courtesy light?

Cheers,

Colin

you are telling us that your car have UNwired rear door switch????

Strange......

I thunk that all Defender SW have this "hight tech" accessory.... Discovery 5 td6 HSE Stornoway Gray Outback Engineering Limited Edition

IID Pro MV License
Post #23361 1st Feb 2010 12:03pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Colin

No, no. I have a hardtop. No windows or seats in the back.

Seems a bit cheap not to put the switch and harness in, but I think they cut things down to a minimum for the hard top. Probably saves a bit if the station wagon has a light in the back as well. Anyway, all the metal bits are in place, plate with hole in for the switch and plate on the door to operate the switch. All I need is to find a good wiring point. I should just need to provide the ground return to the dimmer.

I was hoping there was somewhere convenient to connect into, as there must be a connector somewhere on the station wagon.

Cheers,

Colin
Post #23363 1st Feb 2010 12:32pm
dgardel

Italy 
Electrical scheme, Pag 73

all door switches go to the antitheft ECU connector C0061 (the grey one), pin n°16

Hope that can help you Discovery 5 td6 HSE Stornoway Gray Outback Engineering Limited Edition

IID Pro MV License
Post #23364 1st Feb 2010 1:33pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
dgardel

Italy 
Colin, you have a PM Discovery 5 td6 HSE Stornoway Gray Outback Engineering Limited Edition

IID Pro MV License
Post #23365 1st Feb 2010 1:36pm
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Information Sharing - Ain't it Great?
dgardel wrote:
Electrical scheme, Pag 73

all door switches go to the antitheft ECU connector C0061 (the grey one), pin n°16

Hope that can help you

Wonder where you came up with that information??? Thumbs Up If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #23367 1st Feb 2010 2:12pm
Colin

Thanks dgardel,

Exactly what I was looking for to give me the start I need.

Cheers,

Colin
Post #23368 1st Feb 2010 2:29pm
fekete

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Bonatti Grey
Colin wrote:
No, no. I have a hardtop. No windows or seats in the back.

Seems a bit cheap not to put the switch and harness in, but I think they cut things down to a minimum for the hard top. Probably saves a bit if the station wagon has a light in the back as well. Anyway, all the metal bits are in place, plate with hole in for the switch and plate on the door to operate the switch. All I need is to find a good wiring point. I should just need to provide the ground return to the dimmer.

I was hoping there was somewhere convenient to connect into, as there must be a connector somewhere on the station wagon.

Cheers,

Colin

Colin i've got the hard top and both my courtesy lights works when opening the rear door NEVER TAKE LIFE SERIOUSLY. NOBODY GETS OUT ALIVE ANYWAY
Post #23409 1st Feb 2010 9:49pm
Colin

fekete wrote:

Colin i've got the hard top and both my courtesy lights works when opening the rear door

Looks like was unlucky. Can you describe how the harness is routed. I'm hoping to find a entry into the harnessing, without taking off the front of the dash to access the alarm ECU.

BTW did yours come with an alarm.

Cheers,

Colin
Post #23412 1st Feb 2010 11:28pm
fekete

Hi Colin yes Alarm fitted....Before you go down the route of doing this yourself i'd ask the dealer to resolve the problem... ask them to fit the switch and tell them you thought that this was fitted as standard... i think they should fit this under warranty... Its worth asking

I'll look at how its connected tomorrow and let you know Thumbs Up NEVER TAKE LIFE SERIOUSLY. NOBODY GETS OUT ALIVE ANYWAY
Post #23413 1st Feb 2010 11:37pm
fekete

Hi Colin the wire is a single one and its purple and blue Thumbs Up

NEVER TAKE LIFE SERIOUSLY. NOBODY GETS OUT ALIVE ANYWAY
Post #23435 2nd Feb 2010 1:34pm
Colin

Well thanks to all your help I have found what I was looking for.

The plug I wanted is under the drivers seat, flapping round, not attached to anything.

Fekete's picture and a circuit diagram helped. The wire colour under the seat was the same colour as the one in Fekete's picture and the circuit diagram helped as it showed how the drivers door and the passenger door are wired to different pins (Spent a while pressing the switch on the drivers door, not seeing any change on the DVM and feeling disappointed.)

First, I will try Fekete's suggestion and contact the dealer, but I don't hold out much hope of them fitting it or an alarm. Anyway fitting the switch looks to be fairly simple now.

Cheers for the help

Colin
Post #23472 2nd Feb 2010 10:23pm
mike.29

2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Epsom Green
Hi. I know that this is an old post. I’m trying to fit a rear light to my defender as well. I wonder how you got on with this. My defender only came with 1 light in the front and which comes on when either of the front doors are opened. I was hoping to fit a switch to the back door and an extra light in the back so that both light come on when any of the doors are opened.
I have the same mounting hole for the switch and metal push plate in place on the back door. But have yet to purchase the required switch.
Where would I need to connect the switch to?
Also for the rear light is there another connector sum where maybe behind the headlining to connect this into.
I have a 08 plate 90 hard top with no alarm.
Thanks for your help Michael Michael

08 2.4 TDCI Defender 90
61 2.25 Petrol 88" Series 2
53 2.00 Petrol 80" Series 1
Post #158501 28th Jul 2012 3:21pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1