↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Stainless door sills
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
airpusher

Wales 2006 Defender 110 Td5 XS DCPU Zambezi Silver
Stainless door sills
Has anybody tried these stainless door sills/threashes?

http://www.yrmlandrover.com/epages/BT3575....s/094-0006

Any comments on quality fit etc would be greatly received.

I'd like to fit the entreq ones but they are well outside my budget! Crying or Very sad

Are there any other option out there? These are all I could turn up!

Thanks Thumbs Up 2006 Defender Double Cab- Zambezi Silver
Post #227085 14th Apr 2013 10:09am
tazmarkuk

England 2000 Defender 110 Td5 HT Chawton White
Stainless door sills on eBay
Have a look at these on eBay, was thinking about fitting a set of the Entreq myself but as you say they are pricey, I found these on eBay but have not taken the plunge yet. Item number eBay Item No. 221211921205

Mark
Post #227133 14th Apr 2013 12:55pm
Green Machine

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Tonga Green
I've got the YRM ones on mine. Fit well. There was a little bit of jiggling around to be done to get the bolts through the front door thresholds and the cill underneath, but that was partly because I bought a set of larger SS bolts to fit them, which were a tight squeeze. They come with dome head coach bolts as standard, which I didn't really like the look of so I bought a set of stainless Pozi socket screws with Nylocs and stainless washers instead. The worst bit was getting the old rear door threshold off. It's screwed on with some very weedy self-tappers which fuse with the aluminium panel underneath over time. They were impossible to undo on mine, they just all sheared off with any force applied. I started drilling them out, but it was a real pain, so in the end I just drilled a new set of pilot holes in the aluminium offset slightly from the old ones and fitted it that way.

Here's some pics of my YRM ones fitted:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Only other thing worth mentioning is that you can see the driver / passenger cills have too many holes for a Td5 (expect same on a Puma). Presume this is because earlier models have more bolts along the cill for some reason. But doesn't bother me particularly.

HTH Thumbs Up 2005 Td5 | 90 Station Wagon | Tonga Green
Post #227139 14th Apr 2013 1:32pm
airpusher

Cheers guys,

I'll have a look at the eBay ones now.

Cheers for the info Green Machine & the pics.

I'll have to have a look at mine when I get home for the fittings etc.

Cheers guys 2006 Defender Double Cab- Zambezi Silver
Post #227148 14th Apr 2013 2:47pm
Photoguy1510

New Zealand 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Orkney Grey
I see a lot of guys using stainless on their cars but have to ask are you guys not worries about electrolysis aluminium and stainless don't get along at all. Saw some stainless wing top covers as well big no no for me, might look good but the long term price is just too high. 2013 Orkney Grey 110 SE on order should be here on 20/04
Post #228466 18th Apr 2013 10:10am
mikeh501

United Kingdom 
Photoguy1510 wrote:
I see a lot of guys using stainless on their cars but have to ask are you guys not worries about electrolysis aluminium and stainless don't get along at all. Saw some stainless wing top covers as well big no no for me, might look good but the long term price is just too high.

i know its where dissimilar metals appear on the periodic table as to how they react, but is stainless steel worse than normal steel?
Post #228498 18th Apr 2013 11:56am
Photoguy1510

New Zealand 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Orkney Grey
mikeh501 wrote:
Photoguy1510 wrote:
I see a lot of guys using stainless on their cars but have to ask are you guys not worries about electrolysis aluminium and stainless don't get along at all. Saw some stainless wing top covers as well big no no for me, might look good but the long term price is just too high.

i know its where dissimilar metals appear on the periodic table as to how they react, but is stainless steel worse than normal steel?

Brass and stainless steel are very bad, your better of to use galvanised or zinc plated screws. In refrigeration we use to have rivnuts on evaporators and the electrolysis would eat out aluminium rivnuts in under 2 years. The problem was so big that they now use plastic spreader nuts instead of the rivnuts this keeps the stainless screws isolated from the aluminium stoping the problem dead in its tracts, the steel fan covers has no effect ( for the life of the equipment )on the aluminium. We also changed the SS screws with zinc and that lasts a few years before they start to rust but at least the aluminium is not affected and screws are a dime a dozen. Yes refrigeration there is constant moisture that makes it worse but the rules stay the same.

Its by no means scientific but Im happy to trust what I have seen over the last 20 years. 2013 Orkney Grey 110 SE on order should be here on 20/04
Post #228504 18th Apr 2013 12:29pm
airpusher

Cheers Photoguy,

Interesting point! I'll have to have a rethink! Mmmmm 2006 Defender Double Cab- Zambezi Silver
Post #228511 18th Apr 2013 12:39pm
pope10001

United Kingdom 1992 Defender 90 200 Tdi HT Zermatt Silver
It might be worth installing them with rivnuts then, that way when the rivnuts deteriorate you can just replace them as they are also a dime a dozen. The rest of the sill should be protected by the paint, or not???
Post #228525 18th Apr 2013 1:14pm
Green Machine

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Tonga Green
I just installed them with a corrosion inhibitor. I've used Duralac jointing compound on all of the stainless fixings that I've replaced around the truck. The stainless sills were coated with corrosion block grease on the underside prior to assembly, as were all the fixings. The two things just need to be electrically isolated from each other one way or another. 2005 Td5 | 90 Station Wagon | Tonga Green
Post #228562 18th Apr 2013 3:20pm
need4speed

Lots of folk, myself included put a short length of heatshrink over the stainless fixing where it passes through the aluminium body. This coupled with a rubber/plastic washer totally isolates the stainless fixing from the ally and preventing any galvanic/electrolytic corrosion.
Post #228597 18th Apr 2013 5:03pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1