↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > Strange noises
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Green Machine

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Tonga Green
Strange noises
Don't know if anyone will have any ideas about this from my relatively vague description, but thought I'd give it a shot!

In my 2005 Td5 90, I'm getting a strange noise that sounds a bit like gears crashing at stationary (not a high pitched noise like gears crashing at speed). It has happened twice now, both times doing over 50 in 5th gear and both times when it had been running at speed for a little while. The first time it only made the noise for a moment and then disappeared, to the point that I wasn't sure if I'd imagined it, but it's just done it again now much more sustained. It felt like the steering tugged to the left slightly as well on both occasions. It definitely sounds metallic and like two things are crashing, or something is getting stuck in something else that's spinning. My Dad thought it sounded like a guard coming into contact with a UJ or something, but I don't know if that's possible?

Anyway, any thoughts gratefully received! 2005 Td5 | 90 Station Wagon | Tonga Green
Post #228152 17th Apr 2013 3:06pm
SteveG

2005 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Belize Green
First thing to check is the brakes, and make they are clear of debris, pads and discs look ok and pistons are operating properly.

If ok, You can lift each front wheel and do a bearing test and check for free rotation. Put on full lock and rotate wheels too to see if cv's are ok. Check prop shafts for movement. That's all the obvious ones.

While there you can check tre's and other suspension and steering joints to make sure they are ok too.
Post #228156 17th Apr 2013 3:18pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Check brakes, wheel-bearings, and diffs.
Post #228168 17th Apr 2013 3:52pm
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
Change the oils in both boxes and diff's, then check each removed oil for swarf.

Sorry to say, but it may be gearbox. But check oils first.

Andy
Post #228232 17th Apr 2013 7:05pm
Green Machine

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Tonga Green
Cheers guys. I've booked it in with my local indy week after next (he's stacked up with work at the moment). It's not really something that I know anything about, so probably better for him to have a look at it than for me wasting my time, not really knowing what I'm looking at / for. I don't use the Defender as my daily drive so there's no massive rush. Hoping it's nothing major - it's only done 35k and regularly serviced annually, which equates to less than 5k intervals most years. I'll have to wait and see. The joys of Defender ownership! Shouldn't complain, I've had it 3 years and nothing's gone wrong, so I was on borrowed time! Laughing 2005 Td5 | 90 Station Wagon | Tonga Green
Post #228245 17th Apr 2013 7:19pm
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
At that milage it should be nothing major. Hope you get it sorted easily.

Andy
Post #228278 17th Apr 2013 8:28pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1