↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > TD5 Transfer box upgrade.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
barbel jim

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 HT Tonga Green
diesel_jim wrote:
More refinement: yes, engine doesn't rev as much for given road speeds, so it's quieter

Extra heat? how? engine working harder? nothing that i've noticed

I'm sure someone can put this more elequent than I , but I'll try my best. By fitting a 1.2 transfer box you increase the gearing by roughly 15 per cent. This decreases RPM, but will increase torque on the drivetrain. In theory your engine runs slower, but has an increased torque loading. Therefore although running slower works harder.
I love my 90 as is, but want to use it more as an everyday vehicle. This then will involve traveling longer as a family. I would like to cruise a bit faster, with the pick up I have in reserve currently. The logical choice was the transfer box upgrade, coupled with other performance mods ie bigger inter cooler, retune etc. I plan on keeping the td5 for years, so want it to be reliable. The weak point in a td5 engine is the oil cooling, hence the need for regular oil changes and genuine filters. The other common problem is the temperature of the exhaust gases. By changing the transfer box and increasing BHP I will in turn increase this temperature.
I want to improve the 90 , not turn it into an unreliable racer. I want it to be reliable not stressed to the max and blowing up every year. As this mod is nothing new I was just keen to hear of others experiences. They will vary, I know !!!

Thanks jim
Post #210634 12th Feb 2013 12:13am
dhopable

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Tonga Green
my boss has a 130 and its a 55 plate td5, hes had the disco gears in it since pretty much new and its fine...? Very Happy

Its done 188k now and is still going strong!! Thumbs Up And trust me, it doesnt have an easy life!! Shocked

Click image to enlarge

Hope this helps your decision?! Laughing Mr. Green Cheers
Doug Thumbs Up
Post #210762 12th Feb 2013 7:54pm
barbel jim

Taken the plunge, booked in at Ashcrofts - It'll be an expensive mistake if I don't like it Big Cry Taking my box to them and wait while they swop the gears £375 +VAT. As the gears are £275 +vat thought it was well worth the extra for there expertise and a warranty Wink
Post #211428 15th Feb 2013 5:40pm
Welshsurferdude

Wales 
Mistake or not.

I highly recommend ashcroft, they have good reputation Very Happy

Took my 110 there for a recon gearbox last year, all done in a day with 12months warrentry. 2008 Santorini Black 110 XS USW (Sold)

2015 Discovery 4.5 Black pack Firenze red XS

2008 Corris Grey 110 XS USW (sold)

2011 Santorini Black 110 XS USW (Sold)
Post #211439 15th Feb 2013 5:59pm
dnorrishill

England 2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
barbel jim wrote:
Taken the plunge, booked in at Ashcrofts - It'll be an expensive mistake if I don't like it Big Cry Taking my box to them and wait while they swop the gears £375 +VAT. As the gears are £275 +vat thought it was well worth the extra for there expertise and a warranty Wink

Stupid question but is the transfer case still in place, i.e. they are replacing the gears in your truck while you wait?
Post #211461 15th Feb 2013 7:06pm
Welshsurferdude

Wales 
No they take the t box out and replace the gears in it. Then refit Smile 2008 Santorini Black 110 XS USW (Sold)

2015 Discovery 4.5 Black pack Firenze red XS

2008 Corris Grey 110 XS USW (sold)

2011 Santorini Black 110 XS USW (Sold)
Post #211464 15th Feb 2013 7:10pm
diesel_jim

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 Td5 SW Epsom Green
You'll love it!

I've just come in from an evenings laning (did about 110 miles around Wilts), and giving it the beans back home, the 110 was flying! it really makes it a nicer drive with the 1.2
Post #211566 16th Feb 2013 12:25am
barbel jim

[quote="dnorrishill"]
barbel jim wrote:

Stupid question but is the transfer case still in place, i.e. they are replacing the gears in your truck while you wait?[/quote

No I'm taking the transfer box out myself and will refit. They do just the gears. They will do the whole job for you for £720. You take it to one of two fitting centres, who take out the box send it to Ashcrofts for the gears and refit. Not bad but takes all day. Doing it my way I can save time and money, and piece of mind. Thumbs Up
Post #211568 16th Feb 2013 12:48am
barbel jim

[quote="diesel_jim"]You'll love it!

I've just come in from an evenings laning (did about 110 miles around Wilts), and giving it the beans back home, the 110 was flying! it really makes it a nicer drive with the 1.2[/quote

Lets hope so Thumbs Up then off to see Gary at Alive Mr. Green
Post #211569 16th Feb 2013 12:51am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12