Home > Td5 > Speedo problem
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
McS

Scotland 
Speedo problem
Hi all,

my Td5 speedo is on the fritz, i'm still getting the mileage reading but the speedo needle either just sits at zero or wobbles madly around the dial...

Any thoughts?

Ross The Scotia Winch Challenge
Post #20900 29th Dec 2009 11:51pm
diesel_jim

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 Td5 SW Epsom Green
Hi Ross.

Does the mileage figure increase as you drive? (in a steady "normal" rate) if not, then it sounds like the transducer (on the transferbox, just behind the handbrake drum) could be dodgy/loose or the cable from there up to the dash might have a break in it.
Might pay to just whip the transducer off (10mm socket needed) and check the drive pin thing isn't snapped or rounded off.

If the mileage does rise normally, then it would suggest the needle itself isn't fixed on properly, or something inside the speedo head is FUBAR'd.

Jamie
Post #20905 30th Dec 2009 9:12am
Martin
Site Admin

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
Does the needle sit too "low" when the ignition's off (i.e. below 0 mph)?
Post #20911 30th Dec 2009 11:16am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
McS

Scotland 
Hi Jamie,

long time no speak mate. I'll have a look today as something at the back of my mind says that the mileage figure was kind of erratic...

Martin,

no, it sits at the zero with the ignition off - what you thinking?

Ross The Scotia Winch Challenge
Post #20927 30th Dec 2009 12:47pm
Martin
Site Admin

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
My thought was that the needle has become loose.
Post #20937 30th Dec 2009 5:10pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
mine does this occasionally, sometimes it flicks to 90mph on startup too. it nearly always happens after a dunking or day out playing and after a couple of miles sorts itself out. i think its mud/water/cr*p on the transducer connectors. Cheers

James
110 2012 XS Utility
130 2011 M57 bespoke Camper
90 2010 Hardtop
90 M57 1988 Hardtop
Post #20955 30th Dec 2009 8:45pm
Peter

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 SW Epsom Green
Old post, but thought I'd add my query here as is related.,
My 55 TD5 Speedo has started to wobble at about 55mph, reading on this forum it could just be a dirty connection on the Td5 Defender Speedo Transducer.
Can someone please tell me where exactly this is on the vehicle.

Thanks

Peter
Post #139028 13th Apr 2012 7:50pm
twopoint6khz

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Java Black
Take the centre seat or cubby box out, then unscrew the cover directly below this. Lift this off and you should be able to see down to the transmission under the vehicle. Take the opportunity to laugh at how little is between you and the road Rolling Eyes

The speedo transducer is down an awkward gap, attached to the front of the transfer box. To get it off, you need a 12-sided ring spanner to poke down the gap (an ordinary 6-sided one won't let you turn the bolt far enough to get purchase on it again). There is one bolt holding it on IIRC, and probably a cable to undo? (long time since I did this). Undo the bolt, which helpfully has about 3" of thread on it, and remove. You can then pull the thing off. Check the cog inside is in one piece and not mangled - it's plastic.

I'd give the whole thing a clean.

The alternative I might suggest is that there's a dodgy connection to the main fuse under the driver's seat, but this would probably affect a whole lot more than the speedo. I once had to drive all the way to Manchester with no speedo, no lights and no indicators Whistle
Post #139032 13th Apr 2012 7:56pm
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
prior to above, you could just try going under the vehicle, take the wiring plug off the transducer and give it a clean out and refit and see if that cures it.

transducer is behind the handbrake drum on the left hand side face of the T box before the oil fill face. Cheers

James
110 2012 XS Utility
130 2011 M57 bespoke Camper
90 2010 Hardtop
90 M57 1988 Hardtop
Post #139139 14th Apr 2012 8:59am
Steve B

United Kingdom 2000 Defender 90 Td5 SW Caledonian Blue
I needed to remove mine last week, its a 5 minute job if you go underneath. 8mm socket.

I cant' believe I am going to suggest this as people usually blame oil in the injector/ecu loom on every problem going. But I did read (not experience) that this could give odd behavior of the clocks? Maybe worth a look, easy to pull the plugs off the ecu.

Steve 
Post #139154 14th Apr 2012 9:42am
Peter

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 SW Epsom Green
I can't easily go top down, as have a wiring loom going to lots of stuff on the centre cubby box, but was at a mates garage earlier today and was able to go bottom up. Behind the brake drum (adjusted the handbrake whilst the opportunity was there btw) the is a wired block connector going to something that has a nut on it. I assume this is the connector for the speedo cog ?? Anyway was surpissed how loose it all felt, so just gave it a jiggle in its position as had no idea what it was as had not read the above today.

On a side note is the a decent LR mechanics manual for the Ecu3 TD5 which covers the 2005 Defender as I have no problem tackling these problems myself as can't see point of paying someone else lots of money to so same. In the UK the Haynes manuals are NFG IMHO.
Perhaps this would help in me identifying the names at least of these electrical bits.

Thanks

Peter
Post #139307 14th Apr 2012 11:51pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1