Page 3 of 3 <123
Print this entire topic · 
DavidITGuru

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Sumatra Black
dgardel wrote:
blackwolf wrote:
pope10001 wrote:
You get over run after releasing your foot from the throttle

Isn't that the classic symptom of a malfunctioning clutch pedal switch on the 2.4 and 2.2 Puma?

Yes it is

Mine has done this from new (since March). I thought it was a "feature". Will mention it at the first service and see what they say.
Post #200278 9th Jan 2013 4:30pm
Tony

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
DavidITGuru wrote:
dgardel wrote:
blackwolf wrote:
pope10001 wrote:
You get over run after releasing your foot from the throttle

Isn't that the classic symptom of a malfunctioning clutch pedal switch on the 2.4 and 2.2 Puma?

Yes it is

Mine has done this from new (since March). I thought it was a "feature". Will mention it at the first service and see what they say.

Mine has done this from new too, I thought I read in an old thread on here this 'feature' is supposed to help gearchanging and that it is advisable to take your foot off the throttle, wait a second and then depress the clutch?

If not, I'll be mentioniong it at the first service, along with the drip from the front of the transfer box (straight onto the exhaust) and the noisy wiper mechanism, which seems to have gone very quiet all of a sudden!

Cheers!
Thumbs Up
Post #200306 9th Jan 2013 6:11pm
Liberace

Italy 
Ok looks like they located an engine, they told me the car may be ready on Friday, I still don't have details on the failure but I will be talking to the mechanics soon. I'm also very curious what was kept from the original engine, electronics, clutch, exaust, ect...
Post #202361 16th Jan 2013 5:07pm
Odin

Scotland 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Santorini Black
Tony wrote:
keith wrote:
speedymarktd6 wrote:
keith wrote:
2.2 . Nothing but problems . The worst , cheepest and nastiest product LR ever made .

Could you expand on your comment or reasons why ? As the 2.2 is not really any different to the 2.4 and there are loads of happy 2.4 owners and probably 2.2 owners
25 yrs devotion to this company , 14 landrovers later , another £35000 out of pocket and im raging at the cheek of LR corporation . Its the last LR to be produced , end of an era , 65 yrs gone titsup , we cant tick the boxes of the EU regs no more so lets scrap it . Screw the devoted customer world wide , the ones that kept the company afloat many times over , lets give them no carpets , cheep nasty parts , thinner panels , a bonnet without a spare wheel , the list goes on and charge them top dollar . This 2.2 is the worst performing , sounding and running engine ever . Who ever designed an engine to hold its revs for 2 - 3 secs before you can change gear , eh its madnes , these issues are well echoed throughout the 2.2 owners world and all because the monkeys at LR have had sit on their laptops and program the ecu to run the engine like a bag o nails begause of this blo*dy DPF . It might work on modern diesel cars but its no use on a defender , a car thats never changed in 65 yrs . Its ruined , over mr Tata is delighted to get shot of this dinaosaur , 2 billion profit last year and the quicker he gets it away the better to his pocket . Its ME the commited defender driver that left with the end of life sh#t . I could go on for a week on this 2.2 . My 1964 2.25 was a better engine .yep do you think im raging ?

Hmmm, a car that never changed in 65 years? Somehow I think there's been a gradual evolution through the years since those early days of sidevalve 1.6 litre engines. The 2.2 may not be trouble-free but I'm sure the older ones had their problems too (seem to recall my dad mentioning valve seat problems many years ago?). Yes, the build quality is still lower than that of even the cheapest Japanese motors but I'd say the 2.2 is still a good truck.

Merry Christmas everyone!
Thumbs Up

Luddite rants such as that one explain a great deal about the Defender's current predicament. Ridiculous. Jump into a year old D4 and compare it with a similarly priced new 110 (or indeed a Series 1 if you're perverse enough) and you'll see why JLR will be glad to see the back of the Defender. It's a fun car but it's had it's day. Time to move on and stop bleating, or accept the vehicle has to conform with the regulations and use it. It's a decent enough vehicle just over priced.
Post #202467 16th Jan 2013 10:57pm
Liberace

Italy 
Engine core with cylinder head was replaced and I was told that a major fracture inside the old engine allowed coolant to flood the oil sump. The pressure of the coolant then forced the combined mixture out at several seals. What fractured was not seen because the engine was not disassembled, it was pulled and sent to LR for analysis. I was told LR had not seen this before. Once coolant enters the oil the engine and head are trashed due to bearing damage from the coolant.
Could have been a head gasket?
Anyway the new engine got us home but after 100 kilometers began making a horrendous squeal from the accessory drive belt. Another day at the local dealer fixed that, apparently a miss-alignment of the serpentine belt.
Hope all is fixed, what are the odds. Most of the old accessories were put back on (AC system, fuel injection, computers and wiring/hoses/ covers. The turbo is new probably because it also used the oil. One thing that has me annoyed is that I have so far found at least 5 mounts (wire loom anchors, vacuum tube supports and the egr valve mount) that were broken during the install. When I pointed these things out they were dismissive, saying they were not important enough to warrant the replacing of the larger plastic parts they were originally attached to, like the composite intake manifold. Then out came some zip ties to make me feel happy. I'm not.!
I also noticed at the home dealer the little plastic hood prop u-clamp was broken. He popped in a new one and charged me 6 euro for the part. Said LR wouldn't cover it under warranty because it was not defective as it was broken by the other dealer mechanic so he had to charge me....or I could go back to Vicenza and ask them to pay. Frustrating.
Wonder what got busted that I can't see....
Ciao, James
Post #206979 30th Jan 2013 11:04pm
dgardel

Italy 
 Discovery 5 td6 HSE Stornoway Gray Outback Engineering Limited Edition

IID Pro MV License
Post #207007 31st Jan 2013 12:02am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Liberace

Italy 
car towed to the dealer again. Wife driving wife noticed a fuel smell and tank level dropping. Pulled over and fuel pouring from under the engine. She called the assistance number and LR towed vehicle to dealer where they dicovered the fuel fittings not installed on the injector return hose causing it to dislodge and pump fuel overboard.
I am sickened by the careless work done by the Vicenza dealer.
I should name them:
Sartori Motors
http://www.sartorigroup.it/
Post #210780 12th Feb 2013 8:50pm
GREENI

United Kingdom 
Scary. Hope it gets sorted soon.
Post #210791 12th Feb 2013 9:15pm
dgardel

Italy 
Shocked Shocked Shocked Discovery 5 td6 HSE Stornoway Gray Outback Engineering Limited Edition

IID Pro MV License
Post #210816 12th Feb 2013 10:03pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123