↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > 2012 engine failure at 10k KM
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
CityDriver

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Same here, can't really fault the 2.2 after 8k in its first 7 months.
Post #196333 24th Dec 2012 10:29pm
Tony

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
keith wrote:
speedymarktd6 wrote:
keith wrote:
2.2 . Nothing but problems . The worst , cheepest and nastiest product LR ever made .

Could you expand on your comment or reasons why ? As the 2.2 is not really any different to the 2.4 and there are loads of happy 2.4 owners and probably 2.2 owners
25 yrs devotion to this company , 14 landrovers later , another £35000 out of pocket and im raging at the cheek of LR corporation . Its the last LR to be produced , end of an era , 65 yrs gone titsup , we cant tick the boxes of the EU regs no more so lets scrap it . Screw the devoted customer world wide , the ones that kept the company afloat many times over , lets give them no carpets , cheep nasty parts , thinner panels , a bonnet without a spare wheel , the list goes on and charge them top dollar . This 2.2 is the worst performing , sounding and running engine ever . Who ever designed an engine to hold its revs for 2 - 3 secs before you can change gear , eh its madnes , these issues are well echoed throughout the 2.2 owners world and all because the monkeys at LR have had sit on their laptops and program the ecu to run the engine like a bag o nails begause of this blo*dy DPF . It might work on modern diesel cars but its no use on a defender , a car thats never changed in 65 yrs . Its ruined , over mr Tata is delighted to get shot of this dinaosaur , 2 billion profit last year and the quicker he gets it away the better to his pocket . Its ME the commited defender driver that left with the end of life sh#t . I could go on for a week on this 2.2 . My 1964 2.25 was a better engine .yep do you think im raging ?

Hmmm, a car that never changed in 65 years? Somehow I think there's been a gradual evolution through the years since those early days of sidevalve 1.6 litre engines. The 2.2 may not be trouble-free but I'm sure the older ones had their problems too (seem to recall my dad mentioning valve seat problems many years ago?). Yes, the build quality is still lower than that of even the cheapest Japanese motors but I'd say the 2.2 is still a good truck.

Merry Christmas everyone!
Thumbs Up
Post #196337 24th Dec 2012 11:00pm
pannawonica

Australia 
How is white vanman going with the 2.2 Puma ? That will be the true test ! Whistle Thumbs Up
Post #196351 25th Dec 2012 3:59am
vito115

pannawonica wrote:
How is white vanman going with the 2.2 Puma ? That will be the true test ! Whistle Thumbs Up

Very well Wink
Post #196389 25th Dec 2012 2:36pm
scotsstag

Scotland 2004 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Rutland Red
My 2.4 was picked up on the 23rd by LR assistance with an engine fault. The engineer who attended said that they had an e-mail that morning saying that Defender production had ceased as from now and only existing stock would be sold. Don't know if there's any truth in this but it did come from the horses mouth so to speek.. Confused Exclamation 04' 90 Td5 CSW..
Post #196518 26th Dec 2012 3:00pm
ericvv

Switzerland 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
scotsstag wrote:
My 2.4 was picked up on the 23rd by LR assistance with an engine fault. The engineer who attended said that they had an e-mail that morning saying that Defender production had ceased as from now and only existing stock would be sold. Don't know if there's any truth in this but it did come from the horses mouth so to speek.. Confused Exclamation

Friend of mine several weeks ago ordered a new Puma 2.2 "Hunter" limited edition, and that order is confirmed by LR as scheduled for production/delivery April 2013..... Maybe LR assistance guy was talking about a temp stop over the holidays????? You never actually own a Defender. You merely look after it for the next generation.
http://youtu.be/yVRlSsJwD0o
https://youtu.be/vmPr3oTHndg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GtzTT9Pdl0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABqKPz28e6A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLZ49Jce_n0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvAsz_ilQYU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8tMHiX9lSw
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dxwjPuHIV7I
https://vimeo.com/201482507
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSixqL0iyHw
Post #196629 27th Dec 2012 7:56am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
pope10001 wrote:
You get over run after releasing your foot from the throttle

Isn't that the classic symptom of a malfunctioning clutch pedal switch on the 2.4 and 2.2 Puma?
Post #196652 27th Dec 2012 11:54am
dgardel

Italy 
scotsstag wrote:
My 2.4 was picked up on the 23rd by LR assistance with an engine fault. The engineer who attended said that they had an e-mail that morning saying that Defender production had ceased as from now and only existing stock would be sold. Don't know if there's any truth in this but it did come from the horses mouth so to speek.. Confused Exclamation

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

tell him that we are closer to the 1st of January, not the 1st of april Mr. Green Mr. Green Discovery 5 td6 HSE Stornoway Gray Outback Engineering Limited Edition

IID Pro MV License
Post #196657 27th Dec 2012 12:13pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
dgardel

Italy 
blackwolf wrote:
pope10001 wrote:
You get over run after releasing your foot from the throttle

Isn't that the classic symptom of a malfunctioning clutch pedal switch on the 2.4 and 2.2 Puma?

Yes it is Discovery 5 td6 HSE Stornoway Gray Outback Engineering Limited Edition

IID Pro MV License
Post #196658 27th Dec 2012 12:13pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
scotsstag

Scotland 2004 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Rutland Red
dgardel wrote:
scotsstag wrote:

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

tell him that we are closer to the 1st of January, not the 1st of april Mr. Green Mr. Green

Must have just been a Censored , he was very convincing though.. Laughing Laughing Embarassed Embarassed Rolling with laughter 04' 90 Td5 CSW..
Post #196660 27th Dec 2012 12:20pm
Zinke

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
keith wrote:
2.2 . Nothing but problems . The worst , cheepest and nastiest product LR ever made .

Guess you never had the old 2.5TD from the 80's then? Rolling with laughter
Post #196661 27th Dec 2012 12:27pm
Happyoldgit

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Zinke wrote:
keith wrote:

God yes! Laughing Steve.
Owned numerous Land Rover vehicles of all shapes and sizes over the decades.
Current Defender: A non tarts hand-bagged Puma 110 XS USW.

[Insert something impressive here such as extensive list of previous Land Rovers or examples of your prestigeous and expensive items, trinkets, houses, bikes, vehicles etc]

http://forums.lr4x4.com

I used to be Miserable ...but now I'm ecstatic.
Post #196726 27th Dec 2012 5:42pm
Liberace

Italy 
Update: nothing much happened over the holidays, as can be expected in Italy. Today I was told that LR has agreed to replace the engine, the problem now seems to be that they can't find one! But they assure me they are searching everywhere. I figure since LR is forking over 60 euro a day for the rental they have us in that there is an incentive to get the job done.
The dealer where the car is located could not explain to me in English what happened to the motor, but he is going to write it down and email it to me, I hope to post it soon so that we can know what might be a weakness in this engine....
Dgardel is a member of this board who lives near where the car is stranded, and he has offered to help me deal with the dealership in Italian if I run into any problems. I will keep posting as I get news.
Post #199720 7th Jan 2013 5:58pm
Green Machine

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Tonga Green
@Liberace - sorry to hear they're not moving very quickly on getting it sorted, but atleast they have agreed to replacing the engine (although they should have done that anyway). I suppose part of the problem will be that all of the engines are going into new vehicles at the moment, but you would expect that there is a stock of them somewhere. Not the cheapest thing to ship internationally, but that's their problem!

Miserableolgit wrote:
Zinke wrote:
keith wrote:

God yes! Laughing

What a peach of an engine that one was! Not. Made my Dad go bald! Rolling with laughter 2005 Td5 | 90 Station Wagon | Tonga Green
Post #199731 7th Jan 2013 6:39pm
DAM

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Rimini Red
Keith

sorry to hear you so unhappy! i have only had 2 defenders a TD5 2002 and my new one 90 XS 2.2 2012, my new one is great it does have a slight miss a beat problem occasionally slowing and reaccelerating for roundabouts and things but its a basically a commercial vehicle and i have a 911 turbo or Bentley GTC if i want smooth or fast. But last week i had to follow a friend of mine from the M25 up the M11/A11 to North norfolk he was in a 325 diesel BMW & I in the 90 i cruised at 80-85mph as it has 6 speed at 2.5k - 3k revs which is great!! and when we hit the twisty bits towards the coast i was right behind him, don't get me wrong it took some driving (not sure what he though i was in) but i didn't know the way and couldn't call him as i was concentrating so much! but it can move if you want it to i was up and down the gear box but keeping it between 50mph - 70 mph.
i'm very happy all i need now is a ECU remap when they are right and a few other tweaks and it'll be perfect. regards

David
Post #199838 7th Jan 2013 11:29pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>