↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Just for the record - I'm loving my TDCi
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 6 of 7 <1234567>
Print this entire topic · 
rossy

Ireland 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Stornoway Grey
yes and I'll put a Tata one at the front and a Leyland one on the side !
Post #169901 22nd Sep 2012 10:33am
RobKeay

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Well just spent the last week driving on the wrong side of the road in a brand new ford mustang. That has some major drive line shunt. When I get back it's Shraight into the 90 for a run on a motorway on the right side of the road!

Will I still love the 90???

One thing I will miss is fuel at 4.2 dollars a gallon!
Post #170086 23rd Sep 2012 2:09am
Mote

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
I Love...
The look. Here I am driving a British motoring icon, and when I look at it I just love it. I've always loved the design.

The ability to use it on the motorway. Into 6th and relax (no really, I think it's a great motorway car as long as you keep it below 70).

It being on my drive. What can I say, I always (I mean always) look back at it when I park it and walk away.

The space. Not just the space, but the way it's a big box. We pass stuff around inside (no chair arms getting in the way, or modern cabin "claustrophobia & tightness", and put loads of luggage in when we travel.

Discovering where my right elbow is...
every time I smack it on the door (quite rare now though).

Greenlaning. Discovering places with my family that takes us away from the world we know for a few hours. We love hiking too, but the kids are too young to do that at the moment.

The seating position. It is genuinely one of the most comfortable positions, for me, ever in any car.

The 'chats'. I've had so many chat's with strangers who had one, want one, like them, just want to chat. All because of a car.

I could go on and on (I could also list those faults too), but the good out weighs the bad (though the road tax is a killer).
Post #170204 23rd Sep 2012 4:54pm
AlanH

Australia 
I must admit I'm not liking mine at all. Our 3rd Defender and really is the nastiest, clunkiest heap of crap I've ever driven.
So much drive line slop it's virtually impossible to make a decent gear change unless you take it very very slow which at traffic lights means others are nearly running into your backend.
Off road it's not bad because everything is done much slower but on road it's a truly horrid thing.
I went for a run with the service foreman from the stealers the other week and he reckoned it was normal Defender.
Well if this is normal and can't be fixed I can see us going back to the darkside and getting another Tojo even though we've only just sold our 7 year old totally reliable Prado.
Pity as we've loved our previous Defenders, but I think it's a disgraceful vehicle.
AlanH.
Post #177635 21st Oct 2012 10:26am
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Re: Just for the record - I'm loving my TDCi
AlanH,

Thanks for your 'valued' input. Why not now scoot along and buy a model you're happy with then? Whatever's the quickest to secure.... Obviously you didn't read the OP's post.....

Whistle Whistle

solmanic wrote:
Now I know you only ever read bad stuff on these forums, and I know that we all come here to air our problems in the hope that we find a solution or at least some company in our misery.....

....but I thought it might be worth starting a Puma Appreciation thread! So here are the rules - no mention of issues or problems other than endearing idiosynchracies and the like. I want this to be a thread where we can simply say what we love about our new Defenders in the hope that we can restore the balance of good vs bad representation on the forum.
 If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #177641 21st Oct 2012 10:34am
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
I'm still not convinced its fixed but I'm pretty sure it is.

having had mine for 2 years I've just had it back from a month off the road and other than cosmetic things they're telling me the only other work they've done is to up load the latest software. however (and I'm yet to change them directly about it), I think they're adjusted the hand brake??

anyway although I couldn't describe it as perfect they car now runs as I would expect it to (engine feels a little rough) but I'd certainly not consider taking it back to the dealers to complain.

previously I'd been told everything was fine (and on more than 1 occassion). Alan H I had major problems changing gears before (it was as if the transmission had lost all momentum and the engine didn't want to pick up making it virtually impossible to get a quickish smooth change)......don't give up .... they're not perfect but they are great when working correctly. there's not a design issue as far as I'm concerned so therefore there's something wrong with your truck which I hope you find / resolve......good luck.

in my opinion.
Post #177651 21st Oct 2012 11:04am
AlanH

Australia 
I certainly hope you're right Caterham, we bought it because we love Defenders. Anyway, I realise now I shouldn't have posted a whinge here as it's an "appreciation" thread!!!! Many apologies if I upset a sensitive soul or two. Very Happy Remove it if you like.
AlanH.
Post #177654 21st Oct 2012 11:11am
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
AlanH,

No sweat, forums are generally as per my quote below in my opinion (for what it may be worth) and having an 'upbeat' thread was a breath of fresh air and balanced up the negativity quite nicely. I sympathise with your frustrations and sincerely hope you reach a happy resolution whatever way you decide to go. That certainly was some rant you had and I hope you feel better for getting it off your chest.

Thumbs Up Cool

K9F wrote:
Forums invariably tell tales of woe, strife and can be full of negativity. Indeed there are those that will simply register to find the solution to a particular problem, contribute nothing constructive and be never heard from again unless of course they experience further issues. It used to be the same when someone had something to sell. (Still can be with sponsors hijacking threads and raising two or three different ones on the same subject in attempts to sell their wares.....pathetic!) This in my opinion (for what it may be worth) is one of the better threads If just to remind us living with a Defender isn't all bad! Thumbs Up
 If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #177658 21st Oct 2012 11:48am
AlanH

Australia 
I did sound off a bit!!!! Last thing I'd want to do is go back to the darkside but am feeling a bit depressed and frustrated about it.
I used to be able to change gear on trucks using just revs and can't get a good change out of a Defender. Never mind I'll stick with it 'cos the Cook will kill me otherwise. Shocked
Or worse still won't cook the tucker and open me beer cans. Big Cry
Cheers all, sorry for stepping out of line.
AlanH.
Post #177870 22nd Oct 2012 12:15am
pannawonica

Australia 
Mine does everything and with good reliability. It is evan better now on long runs (1600 Km's.) with the Scheelman's in, I was getting a bit of "Tojo back." Whistle Thumbs Up
Post #177873 22nd Oct 2012 1:56am
AlanH

Australia 
Ours has been reliable enough over the 10000klm since we bought it 3 months ago and we've been through some rough stuff.
Only prob was a shuttle valve in the BAS which the stealer replaced.
By the way...what's "the scheelmans"?
AlanH.
Post #177874 22nd Oct 2012 2:12am
custom90

United Kingdom 
AlanH wrote:

By the way...what's "the scheelmans"?
AlanH.

Upgraded seats. German made quality as far as I know. Thumbs Up NEVER SURRENDER! ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #177914 22nd Oct 2012 10:38am
BigWheels

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
I love my XS 90 2.4, & would get another, but a 110 next time, so I can sleep in the back, not on top. Mr. Green

Do utilities have the bulkhead behind front seats? Land Rover Defenders. 67 years heritage, minimal appearance changes, still going strong all over the world. Not a fashion vehicle, but fashionable to own. Made for the needy, not the greedy. Ta ta Defender
Post #177953 22nd Oct 2012 12:57pm
Go Beyond

United Kingdom 
BigWheels wrote:

Do utilities have the bulkhead behind front seats?

Nope, they are exactly the same as County Station Wagons accept for the rear side panels in place of windows (and only 5 seats of course)

And for the record the Puma 110 USW that I've just sold is the best Defender I've ever had (and I've had loads !), so good infact I've replaced it with another Puma (130) Thumbs Up
Post #177956 22nd Oct 2012 1:04pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
BigWheels

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
If your 110 was so good, why replace it? Wouldn't getting a trailer be cheaper?

130 turning circles Rolling with laughter Land Rover Defenders. 67 years heritage, minimal appearance changes, still going strong all over the world. Not a fashion vehicle, but fashionable to own. Made for the needy, not the greedy. Ta ta Defender
Post #178033 22nd Oct 2012 5:49pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 6 of 7 <1234567>