↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Just for the record - I'm loving my TDCi
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 5 of 7 <1234567>
Print this entire topic · 
Tony

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
Welcome on board Deplec!

Good to hear you're enjoying your Puma, some people don't give them enough credit but in a few years time they'll be saying how good they were ........... but we know that already!

I joined this group before the Defender arrived and having read a few posts was convinced I'd need to buy seat rails because of the lack of room, replacement door pulls that lie flat because of the lack of room, a smaller steering wheel because of .............. you get the picture! But, in reality I've not found a need to buy any of them, and it's so much better on the open road than I'd expected - a nice steady 60mph at 2000 revs is just great!

Enjoy your Defender, for 'smiles per gallon' they're unbeatable! Thumbs Up
Post #169364 19th Sep 2012 7:47pm
AndyS

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Sumatra Black
I wonder if people have bought the right car sometimes. Seems a lot of the things complained about are known 'features' of the car (such as the rubbish turning circle, leaking, rattling, awful radio, recirculation value sticking, particle filter etc). My car has done nothing I haven't expected it to do by reading up on it before buying. It's not a new design and will feel very crude if coming from a modern saloon car, for example. It's a very old design reluctantly updated to pass the ever changing rules for new cars.

But that's why I love it. You get a bloody great lumbering whale of a car that's easy to get your head around in the technology area. It's no more advanced than my 20 year old Mini. It's full of character and plods along at it's own pace playing the part of the tortoise rather than hare. I think I'll have a friend in the Defender in the same way I did with my last Mini that was held together with weld, had medical tape holding the headlights in and a back end that didn't always want to go the same way as the front. I think I can rely on the Defender in the same way, it may well show off every now and then but it'll get you home.
Post #169398 19th Sep 2012 9:10pm
deplec

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 X-Tech LE Zambezi Silver
[quote="Tony"]

Enjoy your Defender, for 'smiles per gallon' they're unbeatable! :thumbsup:[/quote]

Too Right. Tell you what's also cool, I parked next to a new X5 today at Tesco and saw the owner having a sneaky peek as I walked back to it :-)
Post #169450 19th Sep 2012 11:02pm
landylad

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Firenze Red
It is great to hear so much cheer from you all, I gues you fall into the same categry as me "mildly eccentric or daft as a brush!

Apologies if you don't!

I have had landies since I were a lad and as of today I have a Tdi and my beloved TDCI, I get where you are all coming from, they are quirky and not always as predictable as we would like, but that just enhances the owning experience.

I traded in a 7 year old 911 C2S for my 2.2 and you should have seen the look on the dealers face!

That said I hated the owners experience of the 911, frightened stiff sopmethiong would fall off that I could not afford to replace (which it didn't) and whilst the experience of driving it quick was awesome, I think the UK is down to about zero roads where you can exploit the potential.

In my Fenders I can go anywgere at any speed I want and on every occasion see a friendly wave form a like minded Herbert, in the Porky you were snarled at and quite often targeted for a dink in the supermarket car park.

In my Landy they wouldn't dare get close! on the understanding that he bites back !
Landies, all shapes and sizes are awesome but my Puma is the best ever....

Dave Landy Mad
Defender 90 XS Puma 2.2TDci
Defender 90 300TDI pick up
Post #169481 20th Sep 2012 8:19am
nidge n

you dont buy a Defender, you adopt one Rolling with laughter
Post #169492 20th Sep 2012 9:00am
22900013A

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Keswick Green
Interesting thread for a Ranger forum...oh, hang on! :p

I love mine because it has never broken down, I can dream of where it will take me in years to come, and it warms my bum up when I have been frozen unloading a lorry at work! Very Happy
Post #169495 20th Sep 2012 9:38am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
rossy

Ireland 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Stornoway Grey
Tony wrote:
Welcome on board Deplec!

Good to hear you're enjoying your Puma, some people don't give them enough credit but in a few years time they'll be saying how good they were ........... but we know that already!

I joined this group before the Defender arrived and having read a few posts was convinced I'd need to buy seat rails because of the lack of room, replacement door pulls that lie flat because of the lack of room, a smaller steering wheel because of .............. you get the picture! But, in reality I've not found a need to buy any of them, and it's so much better on the open road than I'd expected - a nice steady 60mph at 2000 revs is just great!

Tony where did you get your 2.2 Tdci badges from - was it a Ford dealer ? Looks great !
Of course I'd need a 2.4 one due to my having the proper Defender engine ! Laughing
Post #169538 20th Sep 2012 2:20pm
nidge n

rossy wrote:
Tony wrote:
Welcome on board Deplec!

Tony where did you get your 2.2 Tdci badges from - was it a Ford dealer ? Looks great !
Of course I'd need a 2.4 one due to my having the proper Defender engine ! Laughing

would that not be 1.2 ZETEC Whistle
Post #169544 20th Sep 2012 3:14pm
dilukabey

2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Keswick Green
But Would it discontinue?
We have heard that this long running defender concept is going to be discontinued by 2014? and replaced by DC100 or whatever which i am quite sure many of our colleges in this forum would not like.

Could anybody tell that our well known unique defender style would really be stopped production by 2014 or so on as rumors say? Big Cry
Post #169545 20th Sep 2012 3:20pm
AndyS

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Sumatra Black
Yes it will be stopped. EU laws will push it out of production. But to add a maybe to that, the VW Beatle is still being made and all the tooling for the Mini was bought up before they had a chance to ditch it. The old VW camper van is still made in Brazil and can be imported to the UK.

So maybe the classic Defender will continue to exist somewhere in the world but the car we know today has it's days numbered and that number is probably into three digits.
Post #169549 20th Sep 2012 4:32pm
familymad

2016 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 HCPU Santorini Black
We (and everyone else it seems when they chat with us) LOVE OUR DEFENDER Very Happy 1951 80" S1 2.0
1995 110 300TDI
1995 90 300TDI
Post #169551 20th Sep 2012 4:36pm
nidge n

Re: But Would it discontinue?
dilukabey wrote:
We have heard that this long running defender concept is going to be discontinued by 2014? and replaced by DC100 or whatever which i am quite sure many of our colleges in this forum would not like.

Could anybody tell that our well known unique defender style would really be stopped production by 2014 or so on as rumors say? Big Cry

I dont think 2014 though, especially for the 110 which may go on longer than that Thumbs Up
Post #169552 20th Sep 2012 4:51pm
Tony

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
Rossy,

Thanks for asking about the 2.2 TDCi badges. I bought them on ebay, as you rightly said the TDCi is a Ford product but the 2.2 is actually an Opel badge. I simply searched for '2.2 badge' and found that one, which just happened to be about the same height as the Ford badge. I just did a quick search and saw some Audi 2.4 badges which might be suitable for you.

Cheers! Thumbs Up
Post #169623 21st Sep 2012 12:13am
rossy

Ireland 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Stornoway Grey
Thumbs Up
Post #169821 21st Sep 2012 10:34pm
chiefstoker

England 2005 Defender 90 Td5 HT Zambezi Silver
Tony wrote:
Rossy,

Thanks for asking about the 2.2 TDCi badges. I bought them on ebay, as you rightly said the TDCi is a Ford product but the 2.2 is actually an Opel badge. I simply searched for '2.2 badge' and found that one, which just happened to be about the same height as the Ford badge. I just did a quick search and saw some Audi 2.4 badges which might be suitable for you.

Cheers! Thumbs Up

.... why not change the Land Rover oval badge for a Ford oval badge at the same time ..... Whistle

Mr. Green

some good comments on this thread Cool 2005 TD5 90 Hard Top

Beer 'n Sex 'n Chips 'n Gravy

Post #169839 22nd Sep 2012 7:07am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 5 of 7 <1234567>