Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
landylad

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Firenze Red
over run between gears
Now then here's a strange one
Question
when driving under normal load through the gears I have noticed (since nearly new) that the engine revs die back normally between 1st and 2nd and 2nd and 3rd gears, however when I change from 3rd to 4th 4th to 5th and 5th to 6th the engine revs die away so much slower as if the throttle was sticking ever so slightly.

It's a really weird sensation, the revs don't increase when the clutch is depressed through a normal gear change they just sort of hang around a bit and die down slower.

Actually it makes for a very pleasant smooth gear change but seems a bit weird.

Any others experienced the same? she has 5K on her and is absolutely on the button with good MPG etc, just seems a bit weird.

Looking for comments or inspiration!

The Tdi on the other hand drives like the tractor she is which never fails to put a smile on my face Very Happy ...............

Cheers Dave Landy Mad
Defender 90 XS Puma 2.2TDci
Defender 90 300TDI pick up
Post #153365 3rd Jul 2012 7:02am
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
if only......

mine seems quite the opposite (most of the time) and to be honest makes changing gear very difficult as the revs seem to drop off too much ?

ARRRRRGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Big Cry
Post #153368 3rd Jul 2012 7:49am
Caterham

sorry - forgot to mention that I know exactly what you mean however and have heard others mention this so I think all is good for you

Thumbs Up
Post #153369 3rd Jul 2012 7:50am
tatra805

Slovakia 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Bonatti Grey
Caterham,

check if the clutch cylinder switch is not sticking. (connector on master cylinder next to the brake cylinder under the hood)

This switch tells the ecu when the clutch pedal is pressed and then keeps the revs up a bit to make an easy non-cluncky gearchange. It is a NO contact, so closed loop if clutch pedal is pressed, if yours sticks or is bridged the ECU will drop revs instantly.

Die-hards, or others with big knee muscles bridge this contact so the revs drop as you describe on yours. If you know how to change gear and are used to it, it works a charm or "as a classic" drivetrain reacts. The accelerator also picks up a bit earlier, reactions are more prompt as the revs do not hang.

Landylad, guess that also answers your initial question, yes it is normal

Also note that this "system" reduces eventual shocks on the clutch, which can be good.

I drove bridged for a couple of weeks and found it "better" for all but heavy city trafic.

Smile

Last edited by tatra805 on 3rd Jul 2012 1:58pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #153372 3rd Jul 2012 8:11am
Caterham

well Censored me Shocked

I wonder if you've hit the nail on the head with this.......I can't wait to check it out. however I'm not sure where to start Confused

are you suggesting I remove plug / wiring from master cylinder and check for closed circuit on the cylinder / socket - presumably not the otherway round (wiring loom) ?

this may be something I need to check regularly as I'm thinking this is intermintent.

Also as per Landylad is this something that operates in 4th - 6th or should it be all gears?

many thanks.
Post #153375 3rd Jul 2012 8:25am
tatra805

Yes, measure the contacts of the switch. maybe a bit of corrosion that needs to be cleaned?

I am always very cautious measuring on wiring which goes straight into a ECU, they should be protected for this but....

Depending on firmware LR can basically do anything but as i dont see how they can know in which gear you are (besides calculating on speed and RPM) nor to which gear you are changing, this "system" should do its thing on all gears

If i can make a guess it is more noticeable on the higher gears as there is probably more unused mixture in the combustion chamber the moment you press the clutch during acceleration (lower revs more labour compared to low gears), this would cause the engine to surge a bit and enforce the revs-up impression.

Easy to check it out by comparing what the revs do when pressing clutch while accelerating and when cruising.

Good luck and keep us posted on the outcome Thumbs Up

Smile

Edit: TD5 disables this by simply unplugging, no need for a bridge.
Post #153377 3rd Jul 2012 8:36am
Caterham

this is really sad.......

you wouldn't believe how excited I am about trying this and hopefully bottoming out the problems I've been having......

tempted to p*ss off home now and try it.....

tell me is WD40 a good thing to use on electrical contacts ?

one more thing.....if this connector is playing up is there a chance it wouldn't show a fault code ?
Post #153380 3rd Jul 2012 8:53am
tatra805

ok, quick answer so you can rush home... Laughing

WD40 works

I drove with and without bridge (so also with the cable unplugged without bridge) this doesnt gave me any codes on my scangauge. (ecu sees signal as being open or closed, so clutch in or out, which are both valid signals)

I am sure that with real diagnostic soft you can call up the status of the switch and check if it changes when pressing the pedal but i dont see how it could be giving a fault code as long as there is no corrupted signal returning to the ECU (eg a semi-short lowering the signal voltage outside the "HIGH" signal limits in the soft of the ECU)

Another thing that might give you an answer without leaving your desk...

In low gear (different mapping on TDCI), when you get your foot of the accelerator, does the defender abruptly come off the gas? or does it gently lower the revs till stall-control kicks in?

If it nose-dives (so abrupt), the switch is not working and the ECU thinks you are pressing the clutch all the time and reduces revs instantly.
This is a very noticeable difference, so if you start looking at it, check the behavior in low range also

It's quite simple, this system lowers the revs slowly when in gear/ clutch pedal not pressed down; masking clonks an slack in the drivetrain and giving a more relax / easy gearchange. The drawback is that engine braking is reduced, not as prompt.

If the clutch is pressed there is no reason to hold the revs and the ecu will kind of cut-off the revs instantly.

By installing the bridge you are telling the ECU the clutch is pressed and get instant reactions from the engine. Which makes for a more clonky and unpleasant drive if you have big boots or a binary driving style (1-0; on-off).
You get better throttle response at the cost of fluency. Some like it more as it is closer to the older TDI, series behavior.

Ok, so now you can run

Thumbs Up
Post #153382 3rd Jul 2012 9:14am
GREENI

United Kingdom 
It makes you want go and buy a 300tdi Shocked
Technology...pah Laughing
Post #153383 3rd Jul 2012 9:20am
Caterham

I'm loving it !!!

yes mine is a little cr*p in low range ie very .....erm ......well a bit like this -

vrrm vrrm vrrm and I'm hoping it should be like this -

vrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrm Very Happy

get it ?
Post #153388 3rd Jul 2012 9:42am
tatra805

oh , i see

well...

VRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRMMMMM

is usualy for Gary or Pete

But you could try with the WD-40 also

Rolling with laughter
Post #153389 3rd Jul 2012 9:51am
Caterham

Rolling with laughter

I thought gary and pete was more

vrrrrrrRRRRRMMMMMM !!
Post #153390 3rd Jul 2012 9:54am
landylad

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Firenze Red
tatra805

Ta' very much for putting my mind at rest, Great answer in detail and quick as well!

I have to say it is really only noticeable from 3rd onwards and in a nice way! I also have a 300Tdi so I may have overdeveloped left leg muscles but I manage the transition from either and back again without drama !

Caterham good luck and let uis know how you get on!

Cheers all fer reading and taking the time to respond

Dave Very Happy Landy Mad
Defender 90 XS Puma 2.2TDci
Defender 90 300TDI pick up
Post #153402 3rd Jul 2012 12:20pm
Caterham

hmm.

just had a quick look under the bonnet and all looks nice and clean (no need for any wd40) but given it a good blast of wd40 all the say Very Happy

(it helps to keep everything nice and clean if nothing else).

some how forgot to try the multimeter on it.......will go and try again in a minute.
Post #153417 3rd Jul 2012 2:30pm
Caterham

right brief update until someone can help me (physically not on the web here)

just checked and the device is N/O without the clutch pedal being depressed (just need to get someone to depress and I'll chack again).

in the meantime however are we sure its a N/O circuit and not the otherway round as from what you've said some bridge it out to allow revs to drop like a ton of bricks (I mean tdi) ........

wouldn't that suggest its normally closed and opening when cluth depressed to prevent the ton of bricks syndrome ?
Post #153426 3rd Jul 2012 3:37pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>