↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Poor Maintenance
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
JWL

England 2002 Defender 110 Td5 SW Coniston Green
Poor Maintenance
I know this isn't a Land Rover but it is an example of poor maintenance. I was asked to look at a Leyland Roadrunner horsebox yesterday, the lady owner said that it was pouring out black smoke, wouldn't go above 40mph, it used to do 50. It was running hotter than when she bought it 6 months ago and it cost her £40 in diesel to do an 80 mile round trip Shocked

First thoughts........Air filter. When I eventually prised off the rusted filter can I was absolutely gobsmacked the thing ran at all Shocked

I started to tap it on the floor, as you do........

Click image to enlarge

Soon gave that up as a bad job Rolling Eyes The inlet tube picks up air off the back of the engine where the exhaust manifold appears to be just starting a leak Rolling Eyes and with the coachbuilt body there is no "fresh air" for the engine to injest. I think the only way the engine was able to run at all is because the filter had collapsed and wasn't sealed inside it's housing. She was off to a show today so I left the filter out as I hadn't got a spare, I put on a new fuel filter and I've got a new air filter on order.
I saw her tonight when I was on my way home and she stopped to say that the lorry was transformed Wink it was going up hills at 50mph and there was diesel in the tank when she got back Thumbs Up

So as a postscript keep an eye on those air filters :whistle:

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
Post #146179 20th May 2012 11:19pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1