↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Seal your Defenders!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
ZeDefender

Germany 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Baltic Blue
Seal your Defenders!
Okay, I know it's an old topic but I've just had a lot of experience with a 1 year old Defender vs rain.

I would say it is essential, not optional, to seal all around the windscreen rubber-to-frame with butyl sealant (the black stuff that always stays tacky) AND the frame-to-bulkhead too...

I did the screen and it stopped my feet getting wet BUT I've only just realised that driving against rain can make the cladding get repeatedly soggy/trickly behind the centre of the dash. It is invisible to the eye (and feet), so unless you grope around behind there (I was hiding "extra wires" from the dealer Whistle ) you might never know until the bulkhead was rusted through Shocked

I've done a temporary job by sealing over the existing foam "seal" (I use the term loosely) with... butyl tape Laughing
However, I'm currently trying to find a safe and easy way to separate the frame from the bulkhead and replace the cheesy LR foam seal (it pokes out in places Rolling Eyes ) with something better.

Matt

p.s. Cheers Zag for the help Thumbs Up Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
But shout it at them in German because life is also terrifying and confusing...
Post #145894 19th May 2012 8:46am
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Re: Seal your Defenders!
ZeDefender wrote:
I've only just realised that driving against rain can make the cladding get repeatedly soggy/trickly behind the centre of the dash.

Matt where is this, how did you get access to it, did you take the radio out or centre dash out - would be interesting to check mine Shocked
Post #145897 19th May 2012 8:56am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
kingofthesparks

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Fuji White
Zags having a crisis Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter
Post #145898 19th May 2012 9:00am
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Thoughts of driving around with a tarpaulin on with a cut out for the windscreen came to mind and I had recovered for a brief moment but am now in a cold sweat again cos whats the point of having a tarp with a bloody great hole in it Shocked Big Cry Someone call 999 I'm having a.........
Post #145902 19th May 2012 9:13am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Happyoldgit

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
TBH with a one year old vehicle you should be taking it into your dealer and getting them to replace the seal under warranty, any resulting cock ups will then be their responsibility and not yours. Steve.
Owned numerous Land Rover vehicles of all shapes and sizes over the decades.
Current Defender: A non tarts hand-bagged Puma 110 XS USW.

[Insert something impressive here such as extensive list of previous Land Rovers or examples of your prestigeous and expensive items, trinkets, houses, bikes, vehicles etc]

http://forums.lr4x4.com

I used to be Miserable ...but now I'm ecstatic.
Post #145907 19th May 2012 9:47am
bm52

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Havana
Miserableolgit wrote:
TBH with a one year old vehicle you should be taking it into your dealer and getting them to replace the seal under warranty, any resulting cock ups will then be their responsibility and not yours.

Just had mine done by the dealer. They used sticky black stuff. Seems to have worked BM52
Post #145913 19th May 2012 10:50am
ZeDefender

Germany 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Baltic Blue
I may well get the dealer to do a "proper" job in a month or two but the butyl is doing the job nicely for now. I don't know the new dealer yet and with all the problems people have with cracks etc. in their roofs I am loathed to let an "unknown" dealer get their hands on it. Also, I am obsessive enough to want to do the job "properly" myself, even if it means more work.
Thanks for all the advice though Thumbs Up

Matt Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
But shout it at them in German because life is also terrifying and confusing...
Post #145919 19th May 2012 12:56pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1