United Kingdom 
However a Quad & the New Twizzy are Quadra cycles not cars Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

Mr. Green
Post #144870 14th May 2012 9:42am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Glyn,

There is no legal requirement for a vehicle to have doors, however there are one or two things to bear in mind.

If the doors are structural, then they clearly must not simply be removed (not an issue with a Defender but with most vehicles this is an issue). The vehicle must not present a danger to others, so sharp edges (eg on the exposed door catch or hinges) would be an issue (not likely to be a problem on a Defender). The occupants must not be in danger and the driver must be in full control, so seatbelts and eye protection might be a good idea.

(A vehicle does not require a windscreen, however I suspect that people who drive their Series Ones, Jeeps, etc, without a screen could probably be charged with an offence if driving at road speed without eye protection. As far as I know it has never happened though).

There are some practical issues to bear in mind too, like stuff falling or blowing out of the truck. Something I had never considered before was also brought home to me some years ago when I was driving my 80" fully stripped down (the Landrover, not me) one hot summer and a crazed dog ran out of a farm entrance as I drove slowly past and tried to sink its teeth in my leg. I hadn't anticipated that!

Also, don't forget that there may be insurance implications. If the doors simply lift off (as on a Serier 1) I don't see any insurance issues since they are intended to be removable and it is therefore expected. On a current Defender where they need to be unscrewed it is not a foreseeable action and therefore may invalidate your insurance.

I wouldn't ask the Police if I were you since they probably haven't really got a clue and will undoubtedly tell you not to do it. If they gave you wrong advice you might sue them.
Post #144882 14th May 2012 11:31am
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
blackwolf wrote:
I wouldn't ask the Police if I were you since they probably haven't really got a clue and will undoubtedly tell you not to do it. If they gave you wrong advice you might sue them.

If it was the Military Police you'd be hard-pushed to get them to string more than two words together in a single sentence anyway.

Rolling with laughter If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #144933 14th May 2012 3:10pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12