↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > Remember the school bus sound , diff or something else?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
tatra805

Slovakia 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Bonatti Grey
Remember the school bus sound , diff or something else?
Need your thoughts on this one, all input appreciated.

After our offroad outing 2 weeks ago a sound appeared, very noticeable. I am guessing rear diff but would like to hear your opinions.

Best described as the sound the schoolbusses used to make on overrun. but doubtly you were in the same bus as me Laughing

I first suspected the handbrake drum as we hit it a couple of times. I dismantled the rear cardan / parking brake assy and found nothing suspicious.

No play on the pinion bearing also.

Sound is there when there is no drive power. freewheeling or cruising (so also in gear) the moment the slightest bit of accelerator is pushed the sound is gone. On overrun or freewheeling to a stop it is back immediately. Sounds as teeth matching with some freeplay at low speed and whining at high speed. Rhythm says ring and pinion, not wheel bearing or some other bearing.

Lifted back wheel and have about 15 degrees slack, does not come as too excessive to me but i have no way of comparing here.

No difference if transfer box is in H-N-L or with and without difflock engaged.

As we had the stabi bars ups-side-down after the offroad trip i wonder if this might have pushed /pulled the axle forward and moved the pinion?? (radius arms are still straight, before you ask)

Diff Oil fresh and clear, no metal parts.

Hope to find confirmation or direction here, thanks!

Smile
Post #141191 23rd Apr 2012 7:17pm
tatra805

80 times viewed and nobody??

pleeeeaaaaaase somebody?

Bow down
Post #141388 24th Apr 2012 3:01pm
MK

Chile 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Chawton White
Defenetly a crown-pinion issue. Sometimes the bolt fixing the pinion against the diff/crown loosens a bit. Enough to get a whining. If everything is on inside, then you could try to get the bolt off, put lots of loctite and tight up to 100Nm. I beleive this model does not have shims, but just a spacer. Puma 110" SW

Earth first. Other planets later
Post #141391 24th Apr 2012 3:08pm
tatra805

Yes its the differential...
Thanks MK

Found out the diff has the bolt, not the nut. Tightened it to spec, it was lower than 70Nm. propshaft back on, testdrive and no difference in sound. Mad

Pulled the diff. Clearly the diff was already taken out before as the sealing is not original
Diff itself is the original one stamped 12 2007, so far so good.

Went for a 2wd drive, no sound. OK, wheel bearings and transfer case rules out. You were right.

No damage to diff, all bearings look ok and absolutely ZERO scrap metal in oil/diffhousing.

Observations

Pinion has a uniform play of 1mm over the complete crownwheel. Increasing preload does not change this, decreasing reduces it but the pinion is then too loose.

The sound is there, even when turning by hand. It disappears when there is almost no preload on the pinion.

removed oil ring and 1st bearing, nothing abnormal to see.

With the crownwheel horizontal, teeth up. While pulling the pinion to seat the rear bearing the grinding sound dissapears when i hold the pinion (without front bearing) lower. A similar but different sound appears when i go too low.

The sound get worse when i pull the pinion up.

leads me to think the diff is not set right and i have to go through the complete setup.

Without having measured of used the blue stuff i think the crownwheel might be completely too far from the pinion??? Neutral

Any recommendations before i venture into this? Did 2 diffs in my life and don't know how long they were running ok. Whistle

Would have been the perfect time to put in an Ashcroft ATB, but their website says out of stock Big Cry

Guess it will be a good general training for when they have them back on stock

All help welcome!! Bow down Bow down Bow down
Post #141788 25th Apr 2012 10:02pm
MK

Chile 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Chawton White
You may try to run it as it is now (100Nm) for a while. Sometimes the whine goes away. At least mine did it.
I reckon mine was not properly thight from factory.

If you think to start to do the setup, then I would advice you to have some shims with you. I think these are 49mm ID (not sure). Anyway keep us posted.
Thumbs Up Puma 110" SW

Earth first. Other planets later
Post #141798 25th Apr 2012 10:17pm
tatra805

Thanks for the input

pulled the diff

Setting was way off, which explained the 1mm backlash. Teeth were only catching on the top quarter... Shocked
(no color available here so had to resort to grease)

Click image to enlarge

After putting that straight (1 notch towards pinion was enough) the sound was still noticeable.

Click image to enlarge

2 notches was too much and made the pinion teeth contacting the crownwheel valley.

With the backlash gone i still had a grinding noise which was getting worse with increasing the pinion preload.

Sprayed the whole diff with brake cleaner and that resulted in a screeching inner pinion bearing. While turning by hand.
So shot bearing, no surprise.

Putting oil on it made it quiet but the grinding feeling still there.
The pinion was put without shims, so not much setting to do there. At set torque the preload seems ok.

Put everything back as i need to drive in the coming days.

Bearings ordered, hope they will be still here this week. LR was asking 93 euro for the inner bearing while at paddocks it costs 22,... asked the guy at the line if that included installation... he didn't get my point of course. Rolling with laughter

Will update after installation.

:)

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
Post #142554 30th Apr 2012 11:15am
Peter Td4

Belgium 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HCPU Santorini Black
Good luck with the repair Thumbs Up Peter,

Defender 110 StaWa - Td5
Defender 110 HCPU - Puma
Defender 90 Soft Top - Td5
Post #142568 30th Apr 2012 2:24pm
Naks

South Africa 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Alpine White
Interesting take on the rear diff issue in the Puma:

Quote:
I actually think I have a valid line on why the puma back diff and and rear Tcase outputs are not lasting...

And you're not going to believe it But if what I think I've found is correct, Landrover has already visited and solved this problem previously.

Check out the angles on the rear shaft flanges and the shaft phasing.

from http://www.aulro.com/afvb/90-110-130-defen...ost1679163 --
2010 Defender Puma 90 + BAS remap + Alive IC + Slickshift + Ashcroft ATB rear
2015 Range Rover Sport V8 Supercharged

Defender Puma Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zZ1en9
Discovery 4 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zXrtKO
Range Rover/Sport L320/L322/L494 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zc58JQ
Post #143936 8th May 2012 12:44pm
tatra805

As follow up,

replaced both pinion bearings and while there drive flanges also.

Sound is still the same Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry

Means center is shot, i was already afraid when putting everything back, backlash of pinion and gear set and as good as 0, new drive flanges so not a lot of play there anymore also but when turning the diff once mounted i again had a 20° play on the pinion...

From the sunny side; half of the job done. Now only wait for Ashcroft's TBA diffs to become available again and upgrade the center. Thumbs Up

Mean time going to add a healthy portion of grafite and hope it makes the diff a tune quieter.
Refrain from off road abuse for a month, drive carefully and knock wood the center doesnt go BANG in the mean time. Whistle

once more TBC, i guess
Smile
Post #144024 8th May 2012 9:56pm
tatra805

Naks, Just went to the thread you referred to;

on page 1

Quote:
You guys have no idea how much stress the Traction control, puts on your diff side gears & all that chattering is wearing out all the splines. No wonder Puma diffs are not lasting.

Below is a bit off topic but the guys opinion of the effect of Traction Control on a Rover diff should be noted. (I upgraded my Defender open diffs to Eaton (Detroit) TrueTracs )

This Quote is from an email I got from CEO, Great Basin Rovers, Utah
Quote:
In my opinion, upgraded axle shafts/CV joints are strictly optional when running Truetracs. First Land Rover axles and CV joints are not as bad as many people think. Second, since a TT is a limited slip they do not stress out axle shafts nearly as much as fully locking differentials and they bias torque in a very smooth and controlled manner unlike a hard ratcheting type of system. CV joints don't like shock loads so if you are a finesse driver and run TT's you won't have much problem with them. Another advantage of TT's especially in 2 pinion Rover diffs is they are massively more durable. The lifespan of a Rover diff with traction control engaged is between 30 minutes and 1 hour! The pulsing literally starts to dissolve the two spider gears. If you have used traction control a lot and want to do a quick check on the condition of your diff is to drain the gear oil and pay attention to the color when it first comes out. If it is silver as I describe it, this is your spider gears returning to their elemental state!

I have less than 100km on fresh oil and it was.... silver when i drained it today. The old oil previously drained the same just a tad more dark.

I do have TC, and it was working A LOT lately

He might be right

thanks for the link Thumbs Up

Smile
Post #144025 8th May 2012 10:04pm
Naks

South Africa 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Alpine White
tatra805 wrote:
I do have TC, and it was working A LOT lately
He might be right

Maybe, but not in my case:

My Puma is now 2yrs old with barely 31,000km on the clock. Of that, we have done 3 mild off-road trails (2 sand, one rocky), with TC barely kicking in. In fact, I can count the number of times TC has kicked in when we are off-road on one hand - CDL is always locked and tyres deflated.

The rear diff was replaced a couple of months ago and so was the gearbox.

So no, it can't be the TC causing all these diff failures (at least in my case) --
2010 Defender Puma 90 + BAS remap + Alive IC + Slickshift + Ashcroft ATB rear
2015 Range Rover Sport V8 Supercharged

Defender Puma Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zZ1en9
Discovery 4 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zXrtKO
Range Rover/Sport L320/L322/L494 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zc58JQ
Post #144058 9th May 2012 8:47am
tatra805

Naks,

i can still agree with you, as there will be other reasons also causing diffs to fail.
I don't know what happened to yours and what was damaged.

As for landrover service; they wont open up a diff and start working on the internals, even wonder if they have anybody schooled on this. Replacing a diff is simply bolting in a complete new diff i was told when talking with the service over here.
The guy also said that under warranty they would immediately replace the whole diff even if it is only an inner bearing being defect; less work to do and they send back the defect one to their supplier.

When i saw how my diff was set i wondered how it could have survived that long. And it did not as this is also the second diff within 70 000km which is going.
Somewhere on a forum or even on their website ashcroft is mentioning a batch of new diffs they bought from LR (as donor carriers for their lockers) where they found the majority badly set with premature failure being very very likely.(ring and pinion)

As far as i am now i see

- quality of materials
- setting by supplier/LR
- TC effects on the above

saga continues

Smile
Post #144072 9th May 2012 10:12am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1