↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Cost for a new windscreen frame?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
ZeDefender

Germany 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Baltic Blue
Cost for a new windscreen frame?
Can anyone suggest a rough figure for a complete frame replacement, including fitting and painting?

Reason I'm asking is because of all the posts on frame corrosion. I'm wondering now whether to "let sleeping dogs lie" and not touch mine, even though there may be some water trapped inside the sealed rubber. Taking it all out might scratch the paint somewhere and cause more problems...

Cheers for any guesses Wink

Matt Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
But shout it at them in German because life is also terrifying and confusing...
Post #141282 23rd Apr 2012 10:29pm
MK

Chile 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Chawton White
Go to the sticky Mcat (if works), get the part number and then google it. Then add labour costs. Thumbs Up Puma 110" SW

Earth first. Other planets later
Post #141294 24th Apr 2012 1:04am
Jay

Italy 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey

Click image to enlarge

is this? there is a price for one piece, but i don't know in which currency is it, for the others price, write on google the part number, as said MK

this is link for bigger .jpg
http://img576.imageshack.us/img576/5822/windscreenframe.jpg Jay
Post #141307 24th Apr 2012 7:32am
ZeDefender

Thanks guys! So the "naked" cost of the frame is around 450 quid (inc. VAT). I reckon labour (including re-fitting the screen and sealing everything) would be about 300 quid (5 hours @ 60 quid) and painting (200 quid) get me up to 1000 total.

Any flaws in my calculation Question

If it's about right and since it would cost me at least 300 quid here and now to get the screen and seal professionally cleaned up and refitted (including scraping out all the sealant and re-painting the scratched bits), I'll take my chances and watch for bubbling... Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
Post #141313 24th Apr 2012 8:10am
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
I am keeping my eye out for a second hand one hopefully in matching body colour as a spare. Painting won't be as much as £300 (in UK anyway!) you could do it yourself with the LR spray cans available making it roughly £200 tops all in Wink
Post #141315 24th Apr 2012 8:34am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Jay

Italy 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
why you don't do the job by yourself?
i know someone that did it, or in internet, i think you can find some tutorial no? you can save a bit of money Jay
Post #141316 24th Apr 2012 8:34am
ZeDefender

Silly question perhaps but are those spot-welds on the roof onto the window frame?

If not, it all looks pretty easy and I'll seriously consider DIY if/when the time comes. It would be particularly nice to fit the glass and rubber whilst the frame is off the car and seal it all up like b*ggery before water gets anywhere near it Thumbs Up

Good luck with your search Zag - but it's dangerous posting on this forum as you might create competition Whistle Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
Post #141322 24th Apr 2012 8:45am
cradgebank

England 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
ZeDefender wrote:
Silly question perhaps but are those spot-welds on the roof onto the window frame?

No, the spot welds are onto the frame on the underside of the roof that bolts to the windscreen frame. Richard

Either a 90, 110 or 130.
Discovery 5
Post #141324 24th Apr 2012 8:57am
ZeDefender

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Cheers
Matt Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
Post #141326 24th Apr 2012 9:01am
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
ZeDefender wrote:
Good luck with your search Zag - but it's dangerous posting on this forum as you might create competition Whistle

Laughing You can have the first one Matt, I have years to gradually pick up bits as they crop up Thumbs Up

Taking the frame out is no biggee! Roof lining eased down, bolts on front of roof to frame and take off false hinges Wink Rub out rust, acid convert treat and spray with cans, I squirted Dinitrol rust converter under my rubbers first or ACF-50 can't remember then sealed them up Thumbs Up (learn't from rusty SAAB 96 window frames Sad ) It's not a big job to scoop out the window sealant with a wooden/plastic scraper (maybe carve a pencil up!) allow to dry thoroughly and squirt in rust converter etc Also squirted ACF-50 and Dinitrol behind the capping's before I sealed those up...

You would think over a hot summer any trapped water would dry out eventually anyway. The inside of the windscreen rubber isn't sealed and the frame in sun would get pretty hot so you should be OK anyway Thumbs Up
Post #141329 24th Apr 2012 9:25am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ZeDefender

[quote="Zagato"]
ZeDefender wrote:
You would think over a hot summer any trapped water would dry out eventually anyway. The inside of the windscreen rubber isn't sealed and the frame in sun would get pretty hot so you should be OK anyway Thumbs Up

Exactly what I'm hoping Thumbs Up I only sealed the top and sides so hopefully some hot sun on black rubber Embarassed will force any water downwards and no more can get in - especially as it was draining into the footwell Rolling Eyes

My main concern is that the local garage/pillocks who tried re-fitting the screen the first time took a unilateral decision to grind down the top weld (passenger side on UK cars) and paint it an "off" colour Shocked That's where I'm expecting the first probs...

I guess if it's okay after a couple of years I can stop worrying ... about that, anyway Laughing Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
Post #141335 24th Apr 2012 9:46am
ZeDefender

[quote="ZeDefender"]
Zagato wrote:
ZeDefender wrote:

Cheers, that's exactly what I'm hoping Thumbs Up I only sealed the top and sides so hopefully some hot sun on black rubber Embarassed will force any water downwards and no more can get in - especially as it was draining into the footwell Rolling Eyes

My main concern is that the local garage/pillocks who tried re-fitting the screen the first time took a unilateral decision to grind down the top weld (passenger side on UK cars) and paint it an "off" colour Shocked That's where I'm expecting the first probs...

I guess if it's okay after a couple of years I can stop worrying ... about that, anyway Laughing
 Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
Post #141338 24th Apr 2012 9:49am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1