↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > Well thats decided that!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Jonno

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Santorini Black
Well thats decided that!
A while ago I was contemplating self servicing the Defender as it was running perfectly and I didn't anticipate any issues. However around a week ago it's started making a noise similar to when the brakes are used a kind of rubbing Sssshhhh noise. This seems to be wheel speed related and it happens once every wheel rotation, but only occurs when there is a reverse torque applied ie the engine is providing braking effort. It gets louder the greater the load. Pressing the clutch instantly silences it as it reduces the drivetrain loading.

I have had it into the main dealer who basically said let it develop as they couldn't identify the noise, they suggested brake pads rubbing (however I don't see why it would be load dependent if that was the case).

Anyway in summary, it will be main dealer serviced now......I suspect I might need some warranty work soon...... worst case scenario I'm thinking the rear diff is developing "issues"

Pretty poor if it is though at 6K miles, but then difs made of cheese are not unheard of on Defenders Shocked

Jonno

Last edited by Jonno on 15th Apr 2012 9:06pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #139437 15th Apr 2012 8:26pm
LR90XS2011

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
Can you tell which area of the car its coming from DEFENDER 90 TDCI XS,

I hope everyone is well and your land rovers make you happy
Post #139450 15th Apr 2012 8:55pm
Jonno

I would say certainly the back, it sounds to be coming from the nearside, but I could be wrong on that bit.

It's just odd that the greater the reverse torque ie a steep hill while the engine is holding back makes it much worse or a downshift of the gears makes it louder too. it stops when accelerating or steady speed driving.

When I first heard it I dismissed it as a bit of run out on a brake disc, but as time has gone on I'm pretty certain it isn't that now.

Touching the brakes doesn't change the sound until the car is slowed enough to match the speed to the engine and thus unloading the driveline pressure.

Fair to say it has me stumped, but as the garage says it will develop and identify itself........

Jonno
Post #139451 15th Apr 2012 9:05pm
dgardel

Italy 
Mhmm rear diff

Satelite pin.... Discovery 5 td6 HSE Stornoway Gray Outback Engineering Limited Edition

IID Pro MV License
Post #139461 15th Apr 2012 9:23pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Jonno

dgardel wrote:
Mhmm rear diff

Satelite pin....

Cheers for the input, I will post back when I eventually get to the bottom of it.

Jonno
Post #139475 15th Apr 2012 9:52pm
Jonno

Nothing seems to have changed with the rubbing noise over the last week or so and as the dealer is unable to suggest anything wrong, I think the next step will be draining the rear diff oil after a run this weekend, (if it ever stops raining).

The dealer advised the oil level had been checked, although to be fair my good old dinitrol doesn't seem to have been disturbed over the filler plug....

At least if I dump the oil into a clean drain bowl it might be apparent if anything is in terminal decline, (flakes of metal etc)

If it is more or less particle free, I reckon I'll just forget about it as it can't be much thats wrong!

Interestingly when I had a quick look underneath earlier today I noticed the UJ joints had rust showing around the cracks separating the sections suggesting their isn't much grease in them, I wonder if they are supposed to get a shot at PDI or if its only done at the factory then the 12 month service....

This doesn't prove anything but I borrowed works infra red thermometer and took a reading from the diff case the front diff was at 16c after a 4 mile run the rear at 26c with a ambient temp of six. Again nothing definitive as the higher rear temp could be caused by less wind blasting on it at the back or it might naturally take more of the drive load. So yes it runs hotter than the front one but that might be normal!

So no further forward, more investigations this weekend I think.........
Post #140441 19th Apr 2012 9:25pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1