↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > For Sale & Wanted > Wanted - Defender or Advise where to buy
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
scamp

Wanted - Defender or Advise where to buy
Hi all.

I am looking to purchase my first Land Rover in nearly 25 years. I have been doing the rounds of the internet and seem to find myself going round in circles. I have e-mailed a number of independent 2nd hand dealers only find most of them don't answer. So recommendations as to who to use on this front would be gratefully received.

So, I am looking for a 110 or 130 Double Cab with as high spec as possible, but most definitely do not want air con if it's a TD5 (lanky legs I'm afraid), as low mileage and as much history as possible. Obviously for as little as possible Whistle Budget is 15k give or take.

In advance - thank you.
Post #122406 8th Feb 2012 7:47pm
Laurie

England 2005 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Bonatti Grey
Have you looked at main dealers?
They're not all bad....
http://www.usedvehicles.landrover.co.uk/ 
Post #122408 8th Feb 2012 7:51pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
I would personally buy privately and take someone along who knows what they are looking at if you don't already. You will save yourself 2-3K.

If however you want to feel secure in the knowledge that the Defender in question is not nicked, and has been checked over mechanically with a possible warranty then...

The Diesel Centre, Staplehurst, Kent has a very good reputation.

Don't bother sending them an e-mail though (waste of everyones time!) you can see form their web site what they have so give them a call Thumbs Up

Last edited by Zagato on 8th Feb 2012 8:00pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #122411 8th Feb 2012 7:54pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
scamp

Hi Laurie,

Yes, I do keep checking the approved main dealer listings but when I think I've found one the VAT suddenly puts it out of range. Crying or Very sad

Thanks Zagato. I'll have a Google.
Post #122413 8th Feb 2012 7:56pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
scamp wrote:
Hi Laurie,

Yes, I do keep checking the approved main dealer listings but when I think I've found one the VAT suddenly puts it out of range. Crying or Very sad

Thanks Zagato. I'll have a Google.

Not all main dealers charge VAT. I bought my 90 Puma from Matfords Exeter for 15k with no VAT. Couldn't fault them as they even brought it up and delivered it ect test drive from home ect ect.... Trick is to enquire as fast as possible as soon as you notice a listing otherwise someone else will always be there first! Good luck

Steve
Post #122416 8th Feb 2012 8:00pm
scamp

Thanks guys, please keep the info coming. Bow down
Post #122427 8th Feb 2012 8:23pm
Small Clanger

United Kingdom 
www.classicmarques.net have a 55 plate DCPU @ £10.7 + VAT
They're not far from me, I'll be passing there in the AM, I'll have a look at it.
Post #122431 8th Feb 2012 8:38pm
scamp

Bloody hell! Cheers Small Clanger - saying thanks ain't really enough for that
Post #122438 8th Feb 2012 8:44pm
chiefstoker

England 2005 Defender 90 Td5 HT Zambezi Silver
This any good Scamp? http://www.landroversuk.co.uk/details.aspx?id=545 2005 TD5 90 Hard Top

Beer 'n Sex 'n Chips 'n Gravy

Post #122527 8th Feb 2012 10:46pm
scamp

Hi Chief Stoker. Yep, I had seen that one - looks a real peach. It seems all the good ones are so bloody far away from me. Not that I object to travelling to look but trying to tie it in with a weekend when the missus isn't working too is proving to be a real nightmare. Mad

I did ring my local independant Land Rover service centre to see if they had anything - asked them why there aren't 2nd hand dealers here in Lincolnshire and their answer was that no one really sells and when they do they already know someone that wants to buy it.

I will keep trawling all the usual suspects but would appreciate futher input incase I'm missing someone in my searches. Something will turn up, I'm sure.
Post #122537 8th Feb 2012 11:05pm
xatzhs

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
http://www.neneoverland.co.uk/4x4defender1...P54NWR.htm

http://www.neneoverland.co.uk/4x4defender1...1DUEIN.htm

I don't know about Nene Overland and their reputation - from what I gather on here a bit of mixed reviews? But I always go on their website if I feel like I want to torture myself by looking at all the cars I can't have! These seem to sort of fit the bill!

Happy hunting!
Post #122562 9th Feb 2012 12:30am
scamp

Thanks xatzhs, I too drool over the Nene site and they are close enough to take a trip to. Although they are not open Sundays Question Also heard varying reports about them through different sources.

The other firms I've looked at that are not too far from me are MRM and The County and Defender Centre but with the power of Google both quality of vehicle and after sales care seem to be a little suspect - but obviously people are far quicker to complain than they are to praise, so if anyone on here could set me straight on this I would be grateful.
Post #122601 9th Feb 2012 10:49am
AlpsLandy

France 
Hi Scamp

For what it's worth I found LRUK to be well worth a visit. I went a couple of times with an export in mind before I bought in France. The guys couldn't have been more helpful, loads of choice, lots of tea/coffee. The boss, Andy, could see I knew nothing about defenders so took the time to show me around and then out the back to look at a rotten one to show me where all the dodgy bits were if I decided to look elsewhere - I was very impressed. Had a go in a 200/300/TD5 to see the differences etc. Would be worth a call to make sure they still do all that cos they've grown a bit, and it's a long way from Lincs...
Good Luck
Cheers

They do tend to be expensive though - hopefully you get what you pay for...... 2011 Defender 90 SW
2006 Discovery 3 HSE
Post #122613 9th Feb 2012 11:35am
Small Clanger

United Kingdom 
Had a look at the 55DCPU at Classic Marques, very clean, no gnarly bodywork or paint blisters, usual surface rusty bits underneath and some shiny new nuts and bolts on the steering suggesting the bushes have been replaced. Wheels have been well re-painted, rear tyres are newish, could do with some new fronts. Side steps, tow-bar. Inside looks clean, Ifor Williams top. Not bad at all. Certainly a better proposition than some of the grubby, rusty '07,'08 and '09 sheds languishing on the forecourt at Ripon Land Rover.
HTH.
Post #122625 9th Feb 2012 11:54am
Thor

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
Im absolutly nothing to do with them but I bought my 110 from Nene and had a really good service from them. I pushed hard and managed to get a good amount of cash off and had loads thrown in/discounted such as rear high back exmoor seats, dog guard, cubbybox, service and MOT etc.

After a couple weeks the headlights stopped working and they covered it on their warranty but had frogisland do the work so I didn't have to travel back up to Nene.

As I say nothing to do with them but would deffo buy from them again.

Thor
Post #122650 9th Feb 2012 12:52pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>