Home > My New Defender (L663) > 40k Miles in my 22 Defender D250
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
91dm

Ireland 
40k Miles in my 22 Defender D250
Hello!

Having covered over 40k miles in my Defender, I think it’s an unbelievable all rounder and very happy with my choice! I ordered in November 21 and collected in February 22. It’s a D250 S with air suspension and in Carpathian grey. Here’s some pictures of the last 40k miles.

Collection day!

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Protective stuff. It’s my first brand new car so wanted to try and protect it as best I could so sprayed underneath and ceramic coated the paint.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

First impressions. I covered the first few thousand miles very quickly, very impressed!

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Side steps. First modification was to fit a set of genuine side steps, overall a straight forward task, lots of clips to take off and plastic to cut. It could be made much easier from the factory. I think the silver works well with the bumpers and wheels overall.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Ceramic coating. First wash to see how the ceramic coating was doing, a good pressure washing will take most of the dirt off. A quick wash then brings it back to looking very shiny.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Diesel MPG. Some MPG figures 3 months in!

Click image to enlarge

6 Months in. 7k miles into ownership all is going well so far, very impressed with the Defender, its exceeded my expectations.
The good and bad
+ Positives | Ride and engine/gearbox combo, tech, all round ability
- Not so good | Boot area is small for the overall size

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Family fleet.

Click image to enlarge

Best MPG.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

MPG empty trailer

Click image to enlarge

MPG with car transporter

Click image to enlarge

2 Years in. Coming up on 30k miles now with no issues to report. The on board computer says an average of 33.2MPG which is a mixture of town and motorway driving with mixed towing.

I managed to pick up a set of wheels which I've been looking for a long time, 20" with diamond cut faces, I think they suit the Defender very well! While I had the wheels off, I gave all a quick clean up.

I've gone from a 19" to 20" however it works out the same overall diameter. I really like this style of wheel, I think it works well with the colour and there's a much better selection of all terrain tyres in 20". I've noticed no difference in comfort going to the 20", possibly a slight improvement in handling however hard to tell.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

First fault. Unfortunately, the engine light decided at around 30k miles it wanted to make an appearance. The code reader gave a EGR fault, quick phone call and it was booked in for inspection. A new valve and cooler was fitted which made absolutely no difference. It's a full day round trip to the local dealer for me and the service was so bad I decided I wouldn't go back. After some internet research I managed to trace the fault down to a clogged pipe leading to the exhaust pressure sensor. A quick clean out and all has been good since. I'm not sure is this a euro 6 diesel issue or the fact I was using the pre heat function all winter letting the car sit for 10 mins before starting my journey.

Click image to enlarge

The pipe was clogged with carbon which I managed to clean out with some strong wire.

Click image to enlarge

New wheels! Some images of the new wheels, have really transformed the look of it in my eyes!
I'm currently up to 36k miles and will be soon due it's fourth oil change. Plenty of towing done in the last while with no issues to report.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Ceramic coating after 40k miles. I’ve covered over 40k miles now and the carbon collective coating is holding up very well.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Summary so far. So coming up on 3 years in I’m still very glad I went with the Defender.

It covers all basis, comfortable, fast enough, good on fuel, been reliable so far, excellent on/off road and when towing.

My only issues have been the EGR fault code and a front tensioner started making a noise at 20k miles (common issue I think). Otherwise it has just had regular servicing.

Mods. I would like to upgrade the current speakers, I only have the base setup. Would like to improve the light setup for winter time, reversing lights and possibly a front light bar.

Thanks for reading!
Post #1049244 20th Oct 2024 7:36pm
jim4244

England 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Zermatt Silver
Lovely looking car and glad that you are happy with it Thumbs Up

Jim
Post #1049276 21st Oct 2024 5:34am
Tyrrell3

United Kingdom 
Yes great review thanks for posting Thumbs Up
Post #1049331 21st Oct 2024 4:02pm
Post Reply  Back to top