↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > Intermittent starting problem
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Dnomirraf

United Kingdom 2001 Defender 110 Td5 HT Belize Green
Intermittent starting problem
MY 2001 TD5 has an intermittent starting problem where sometimes it doesn't start immediately. I turn the key to crank the engine and nothing happens. Normally when it decides to do this, I turn the key for a while (maybe 10 seconds) nothing happens then it cranks once and starts happily. The issue is now that it doesn't want to go even if I hold the ignition down for longer. I had a similar problem last year when it was cold, then after a while it worked fine again.

As I'm not hearing anything I suspect it's the solenoid in the starter motor, but as that's a pain to fix I want to check for other possibilities or prove it's actually the solenoid.

Does anyone have experience with a similar fault or know how to better diagnose this?
Post #1049218 20th Oct 2024 2:26pm
Newlandy

South Africa 2003 Defender 110 2.5 TD CSW Arles Blue
If you can't hear the "click" that the solenoid makes when it engages then it's the solenoid.

There are kits for fixing this. It's not difficult at all, just the top bolt on the starter can be problematic. I used extensions with swivel connectors and eventually got it out.

There are some who have replaced the solenoid while the starter is still on the car...
Post #1049222 20th Oct 2024 3:27pm
NDF

2004 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Java Black
Had this recently. All good and then nothing. Always eventually turned over with multiple key turns and patience, but was waiting for the day it would not. Turned out that the fuel pressure regulator was leaking on to solenoid. New regulator and solenoid solved the problem. Was told that this is not uncommon.
Post #1049225 20th Oct 2024 4:41pm
Notyalc

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
This is what you need.

https://x8r.co.uk/land-rover-discovery-td5...r-kit.html

There are other alternative suppliers. Biggest job getting the starter off and back one due to the top bolt..
Post #1049235 20th Oct 2024 5:19pm
andylee

United Kingdom 
Also check the earth strap from negative side of the battery through the seat box and onto the chassis/gearbox this needs to have a good connection in order to create the circuit for the starter.
Took me a while to chase this down when I had a non starting issue.
Post #1049313 21st Oct 2024 11:49am
revd

United Kingdom 
Starter solenoid replacement is not difficult, a couple of hours should do it, less if you are more mechanically adept. The job of unscrewing the top fastener is a lot easier if you have a 3/8 extension of precisely the right length - from memory, approx 7" - I combined two that I had to hand, no need to remove the air-box or anything else. The bottom fixings can be reached from underneath with a long cranked ring spanner. Various tutorials on Youtube.
Post #1049316 21st Oct 2024 12:51pm
NickMc

Northern Ireland 2006 Defender 90 Td5 HT Bonatti Grey
A set of Wobble extensions in 3/8” is the best money you’ll spend to do these starter motors.

Check the blue header under the drivers seat for corrosion and pin fitment- if it’s not the solenoid. Power comes and you can split the system at the black oval plug engine bay drivers side (RHD). Check the earths as has been said as well. Another common one i see is the connectors aren’t put in their holders at the clutch pedal and engine bay side of the transmission tunnel, this can cause intermittent faults. Often forgot on a clutch change. Then there’s also water intrusion into the 10AS alarm box.
Post #1049369 21st Oct 2024 8:45pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1