↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Motorway Limp Mode
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
JBLancs

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Zermatt Silver
Motorway Limp Mode
I’ve recently been experiencing a slight lack of performance and limp mode (motorway driving only) this doesn’t throw the engine management light and can be reset by turning the ignition off and back on again. It isn’t doing it often but consistently enough to be annoying.

I suspected a split intercooler hose, so have removed and inspected them, they are all good. The nearside pipe however was a very loose connection onto the intercooler and was leaking oil. I’ve cleaned the unions and pipes and refitted everything and the power delivery seems to be back to normal.

Unfortunately I’m still getting the motorway limp mode issue, from reading on here I need to be looking at the turbo or VCV??

I’ve observed the turbo actuator whilst revving the vehicle and it seems to be operating so I think I can rule that out, could the variable veins still be sticking though presenting an over boost??

Any advice on what to try next would be greatly appreciated. It’s a 2011 2.4 110. Cheers
Post #1048901 16th Oct 2024 7:17pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
It could still be the vanes sticking due to the EA pivots, you can manually check the vanes are free whilst the upper pivot is removed to see if all is well.

Lube those pivots and see what happens, but there can be a DTC flagged for this if you are able to read them?
If that still doesn’t solve it a new Actuator maybe a possibility but no guarantee that it is that.

One VCV symptom I found was top end power loss that would be in 6th gear, so if for example in 5th and 6th gear you keep having to drop back gears due to what seems a lack of power then I’d suspect VCV for sure. NEVER SURRENDER! ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #1048904 16th Oct 2024 7:34pm
Ianh

United Kingdom 
Have you a code reader to see if there are any diagnostic trouble codes (DTC’s) recorded ?.

noting In general with your symptoms the absence of any DTC’s indicates a VCV issue on a 2.4.
Post #1048905 16th Oct 2024 7:34pm
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
Does it occur after a period of constant boost? And then change of boost makes it happen. Mine had this, turbo vanes in case as eluded above. Revive sorted it. Cheers

James
110 2012 XS Utility
130 2011 M57 bespoke Camper
90 2010 Hardtop
90 M57 1988 Hardtop
Post #1048906 16th Oct 2024 7:40pm
JBLancs

I will have a go at reading any codes it may have stored tomorrow. Will it store codes even if it hasn’t thrown the EML?

jst - yes it’s exactly that the change in boost after a constant seems to throw it into limp mode.
Post #1048911 16th Oct 2024 8:02pm
Ianh

United Kingdom 
Yes, not all codes cause the amber check engine light to come on.
Post #1048921 16th Oct 2024 9:08pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
IanH is right.

In addition to that, it’s a question likely of constant boost, then stuck vanes and that then throws a code as stuck open or closed. As soon as that constant boost is adjusted.
Doesn’t always put MIL on but can put a DTC on.

If you keep the two pivots lubed with light oil such as 3 in 1 that should mean you’ll have no further issue as well if vanes are free, worth considering running Millers Diesel additive too to help keep things clean. NEVER SURRENDER! ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #1048993 17th Oct 2024 7:28pm
JBLancs

I’ve just read the DTC’S and it had P0234 stored. Turbo over boost condition.

To check the veins do I remove the actuator rod and check for movement in the lower pivot?
Post #1049006 17th Oct 2024 8:53pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Yes, take off the upper circlip. (Careful not to lose it).
With the engine off, operate the lower section to its lowermost travel, it should feel free smooth and without obstruction.
Refit, and lube the two pivots, that’s what I do and not had any issue since.

The DTC suggests sticking, stuck in over boost, so limp mode was triggered to protect engine.

The vanes should operate light and smooth to max travel so only need to be gentle with it and do t force it beyond its travel, and don’t force the actuator when connected at all.

I believe the pivots getting stuck is the bigger issue than vanes.

LR do a high temp ceramic grease for mega money, no idea why it’s expensive but personally I just use a 3 in 1 light oil dripper about ever 3 months at the same time as doing the props greasing etc.

I would imagine it will solve your issue, it would pay to record the DTC on paper and clear that code. NEVER SURRENDER! ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #1049009 17th Oct 2024 9:04pm
JBLancs

I’ve cleared the code, I’ll have a go with the linkage in the daylight. It did strike me that the clip looks a likely candidate for going missing. Shocked
Post #1049011 17th Oct 2024 9:14pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Yes, it is known for that so be careful. Thumbs Up NEVER SURRENDER! ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #1049014 17th Oct 2024 9:35pm
John_mx

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Alaska White
custom90 wrote:
It could still be the vanes sticking due to the EA pivots, you can manually check the vanes are free whilst the upper pivot is removed to see if all is well.

Lube those pivots and see what happens, but there can be a DTC flagged for this if you are able to read them?
If that still doesn’t solve it a new Actuator maybe a possibility but no guarantee that it is that.

One VCV symptom I found was top end power loss that would be in 6th gear, so if for example in 5th and 6th gear you keep having to drop back gears due to what seems a lack of power then I’d suspect VCV for sure.

When my VCV was fault I was getting reduced power like 10% of the time in both low end and top end, itnaould not go over 1500 rpm,

You seen that before?
Post #1049163 19th Oct 2024 6:46pm
andy63

United Kingdom 
You would think that should show by a reduction in rail pressure.. there does not appear to be a definitive test for faulty vcv valve..
I've mucked about with the scope and observed the change in duty cycle of the valve but I'm suspecting that may only show the electrical signal and not a mechanically sticking plunger..
I have wondered if a check on the current would be a better guide to a mechanically sticking valve??
Post #1049171 19th Oct 2024 8:30pm
DJow

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Keswick Green
I had this issue a few years back. It got progressively worse over the course of a few months. Fitting a new MAP sensor sorted the issue for me.
Post #1049180 19th Oct 2024 10:26pm
andy63

United Kingdom 
That would make sense as the map sensor is critical to the demand placed on the vcv, so a dodgy map will effect fueling and could lead to a vcv been suspected I suppose..the map would be inclined to set a fault code if its readings were suspect I think..
What i would say about map sensors from recent work is that if its removed and dirty , that would be a signal to me not just to clean the sensor and replace it but to remove the manifold and check/clean that..
The map sensor connection to the manifold is by way of a small passage in the wall of the manifold to a similarly small opening in the manifold side wall..if the sensor is dirty it's a given that that passage and port will be in a state and need a good clean out..
Post #1049187 20th Oct 2024 7:31am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1