↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > Dual Mass or Single Mass flywheel?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
barbel jim

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 HT Tonga Green
Think you want the lof power spec clutch. Ring Luke, or clutchfix. I’ve dealt with both, and only good experiences

Regarding your indie reply, standard reply for general motor factors. I know Luke will warranty his clutches, probably not the labour. And likewise if you supply a clutch kit, the garage can fit it on a labour only basis, exempting them from any liability. Thumbs Up
Post #1047525 2nd Oct 2024 9:02pm
derbywill

England 2005 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Java Black
I've fitted a few flywheels to various peoples Td5's over the years,
Britpart SMF - Was absolute awful made the layshaft bearings rattle - removed
LOF SMF feels very similar to standard no issues and no extra noises.
I have a standard Valeo and LUK flywheel in my 90 which is tuned and I tow quite alot, currently on 140,000miles on this clutch with no issues.

Cheers

Will 2005 90 XS
1954 86'' Series 1 tilt
1968 88” 2A 200tdi
2002 110 Hardtop
Post #1047537 3rd Oct 2024 7:28am
110Matty

United Kingdom 
Mike c wrote:
I am just going through this myself and decided on sticking with dual mass, it was clearly thought necessary by LR with the td5 engine at the time.

However this is on a standard vehicle with no heavy work.

I think I'm going for Valeo DMF and LOF Powerspec, thanks for all the replies, it really helps. Thumbs Up Defender 90 TD5 2004
Post #1047579 3rd Oct 2024 3:53pm
Penfold_6290

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Epsom Green
I'm nearly 2 years into my LOF SMF with road spec clutch and couldn't be happier. My Td5 has a fairly light remap and we tow from time to time. My experience is the SMF made the 110 much nicer to drive, I have also fitted the LOF clutch spring and Power Slave, now the clutch is as light as it is on my Mazda which is a joy to drive.
Post #1047582 3rd Oct 2024 4:34pm
Will.I.AM

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 130 Td5 HCPU Kaikoura Stone
I was in a simular position with a decent remap from Gareth at Empire and immediately the clutch slipped. I went for a LOF extreme spec and their SMF and i havn't had any issues with Noise, vibration, rattle, clutch slip or any of the aforementioned issues.

not saying anyone is incorrect and not saying that they are perfect etc but its always interesting to get a balance of feedback and so far (15k miles) i have had absolutely no issues whatsoever.

I tow (sometimes heavy) and my 130 weights just under 3T although i do treat it nicely, it does get the occasional bit of heavy right foot. Defender 130 HCPU TD5
Post #1047585 3rd Oct 2024 4:50pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
110Matty

United Kingdom 
Castillo wrote:
Hey, you don't have any fuel leaking into the clutch do you?

Twice in 10 years my Defender's fuel pressure regulator has leaked into the clutch and the clutch has then started to slip. After I fixed the leak, after about 2000 km of driving, the clutch has stopped slipping.

Hi,

As some feedback, having reverted back to the original map, the clutch stopped slipping, so i think that rules out fuel leaking into the clutch, but thanks for suggestion.

Cheers. Defender 90 TD5 2004
Post #1048023 8th Oct 2024 10:19am
110Matty

United Kingdom 
Will.I.AM wrote:
I was in a simular position with a decent remap from Gareth at Empire and immediately the clutch slipped. I went for a LOF extreme spec and their SMF and i havn't had any issues with Noise, vibration, rattle, clutch slip or any of the aforementioned issues.

not saying anyone is incorrect and not saying that they are perfect etc but its always interesting to get a balance of feedback and so far (15k miles) i have had absolutely no issues whatsoever.

I tow (sometimes heavy) and my 130 weights just under 3T although i do treat it nicely, it does get the occasional bit of heavy right foot.

Hey.

I flipped a coin and decided on Powerspec LOF clutch and Valeo DMF. Found the complete kit with Winchester Gears. However, my order was cancelled / refunded because some or part of it was out of stock and was told to maybe contact LOF direct, which i thought was a bit off / odd!? I couldn't see the Valeo DMF on the LOF site, otherwise I would have ordered all of it directly with them. Ideally, I wanted to source the clutch and flywheel from the same source. Now ordered elsewhere.

Cheers. Defender 90 TD5 2004
Post #1048024 8th Oct 2024 10:25am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12