Home > Td5 > TD5 remap
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Chicken Drumstick

United Kingdom 
bankz5152 wrote:
Chicken Drumstick wrote:
tbh, tuning hasn't really changed at all. It is still the same things that work and that don't work. And the Td5 is no mystery box running on pixie dust. It works the same as any other diesel engine out there.

I also don't think the advice as ever been "just map it".

All the normal things that help any engine out work exactly the same on the Td5. More air in and more air out, with the right amount of fuel = more power.

Colder air is more dense, so a bigger intercooler can make a big difference. A free flow exhaust will help lower egt's and get the gases out of the engine faster. While more efficient intake setups allow more air in.

A custom rolling road map will nearly always produce the best results. As it can be tailored to your mods and vehicle.

Sorry but yes it has. Dramatically.

A not that long ago 300hp was laughable and unheard of, now it's attainable and reliable.

It used done by injector duration. Now it's done via afr and smoke map.

Td5 tuning has changed, the likes of Dynachip flash and dash have fallen away and true bespoke tuning has taking hold. No one TD5 is the same as another, especially now given their age.

Just adding a bigger intercooler without adjusting the mapping won't do much, exhausts do make a difference but generally only noticeable on the higher end.

Most diesels will smoke a bit when changing gear etc.. because they are off boost. Lower air flow, more smoke. However a properly mapped this can be reduced and depending on circumstances almost totally removed.

Chat to Gareth at Empire and you will get exactly what you want. I would always suggest a bigger intercooler from Britpart (shockingly actually fairly good if not running high boost), Serck, Allisport, Darkside (I have a darkside in mine which is holding with 2.5bar for the last year)

Just because more people are doing things now doesn't mean it is new Wink

Tuning is tuning, people have been doing it for over 100 years.....

But like all things, bounds get pushed and people like to beat other people. Hence the fact that high numbers are reached. But the essence behind it all hasn't really changed all that much.

Basic tuning, which is what 90% of people go for is likely almost the same now as it was a decade ago.
Post #1046190 19th Sep 2024 12:22pm
Chicken Drumstick

United Kingdom 
Mo Murphy wrote:
Even with a stage 1 tune it shouldn't smoke. So you either have poor tune or a restriction in your inlet set up.
Neither will be particularly good for your engine.
Mo

It should smoke a bit, nature of tuning diesels.

Also depends what was changed and why. More fuel (at least to some extent) will help off boost performance, which might be desirable, but will generate boost. And using a stock turbo you will have limitations of the stock boost threshold.
Post #1046191 19th Sep 2024 12:26pm
Chicken Drumstick

United Kingdom 
110Matty wrote:
Thanks for the reply.

I feared I might have to travel further afield to get a rolling road one done I guess, but i can't imagine everyone out there has done it that way, nor fitted different intercoolers and exhausts. Are modest stage 1 flash maps not really up to it in your opinion then? The one I already have is ok, but as i said, i don't like the smoke when i pull away and hoped it could be avoided.

The 'Just Map It' isn't "advice" it's a new hardware / software offering from Empire Tuning (flash connector / cable + custom remap - without requiring a Nanocom), just one of many options. I was hoping for positive feedback from these type of offerings I guess.

I know you get what you pay for and shouldn't shy away from a bit of effort and time, but there doesn't seem to be anything local to me, so will probably have to go out of county.

Maybe my question should have been much simpler - do all stage 1 remaps come with black smoke, whether remote flash or rolling road?

Cheers.

Ultimately it really comes down to what you want to achieve vs what you want to spend.

I know there is talk a few posts back about 300hp, but the reality is, this is exceedingly rare and how reliable is up for debate, due to such a small sample size of people making this power.

However, the motor industry does show how these changes have happened too. Just look at the new Defender, 240bhp standard with warranty and meeting emissions from a 2.0 litre diesel. Unheard of power levels years ago.

With the Td5, the stock air intake might not be the best for max power, but it is good for general use and off roading. So you may want to weigh up overall priorities.

Likewise, free flowing exhaust can be an important part of an entire tuning package. But can be costly and often loud, depending on how you spec/build it.

A good intercooler upgrade and a rolling road remap by someone who knows what they are doing should in all likelihood make it drive very well. Going much beyond this and you may want to start to look at the cost of doing an engine conversion instead.

A 300hp Td5 is likely more expensive than a 300hp M57 or Chevy LS conversion.
Post #1046192 19th Sep 2024 12:32pm
Mo Murphy

United Kingdom 1984 Defender 90 BMW M57 3.0 Diesel HT Auto Pennine Grey
Chicken Drumstick wrote:
Mo Murphy wrote:
Even with a stage 1 tune it shouldn't smoke. So you either have poor tune or a restriction in your inlet set up.
Mo

Also depends what was changed and why. More fuel (at least to some extent) will help off boost performance, which might be desirable, but will generate boost. And using a stock turbo you will have limitations of the stock boost threshold.

M57, stage one 250bhp, standard turbo, 2.5" exhaust, no smoke. 😉
Mo The Land Rover 90 - Many are called, few are chosen.

50 Shades of Pennine Grey
Post #1046203 19th Sep 2024 1:53pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Chicken Drumstick wrote:
... It should smoke a bit, nature of tuning diesels. ...

Surely not, although many do.

Smoke indicates that more fuel is being injected than can be fully burned with the available oxygen, and that extra fuel is not generating power, it is just being wasted and only partially burned. A good remap will be clean and avoid exceeding the maximum fuel load for the available oxygen.

My BAS map doesn't smoke, and even the relatively unsophisticated "tuning box" I have on my Disco2 doesn't smoke.

Just as with a steam railway locomotive, with a diesel engine all that smoke indicates is that fuel is being wasted.
Post #1046213 19th Sep 2024 3:50pm
Chicken Drumstick

United Kingdom 
Mo Murphy wrote:
Chicken Drumstick wrote:
Mo Murphy wrote:
Mo

M57, stage one 250bhp, standard turbo, 2.5" exhaust, no smoke. 😉
Mo

Yes the M57 can make good power and be fairly clean. A little haze, not completely smoke free. Suspect this one is running a similar setup to yours.

Post #1046214 19th Sep 2024 3:56pm
Chicken Drumstick

United Kingdom 
blackwolf wrote:
Chicken Drumstick wrote:
... It should smoke a bit, nature of tuning diesels. ...

Surely not, although many do.

Smoke indicates that more fuel is being injected than can be fully burned with the available oxygen, and that extra fuel is not generating power, it is just being wasted and only partially burned. A good remap will be clean and avoid exceeding the maximum fuel load for the available oxygen.

My BAS map doesn't smoke, and even the relatively unsophisticated "tuning box" I have on my Disco2 doesn't smoke.

Just as with a steam railway locomotive, with a diesel engine all that smoke indicates is that fuel is being wasted.

tbh I don't really believe yours makes no smoke at all. Even 100% standard and brand new both the Td5 and M57 will make a bit of smoke under full load at wide open throttle. --- Edit to add: you might not easily be able to see the smoke from the drivers seat while concentrating on driving, but that doesn't mean there isn't any smoke.

And it depends how something mapped and its intended use. Smoke may well be unburnt fuel, but that doesn't mean you aren't still making gains. Hence why any professional competition where diesels are used such as tractor pulling or diesel drag racing, they always smoke......

To a certain point, more smoke will still give you more fuel burnt and thus more power, you just have more wastage too. Obviously for road use you want to keep the smoke levels down, but it doesn't mean you get the most power with zero smoke.
Post #1046215 19th Sep 2024 4:01pm
110Matty

United Kingdom 
New Intercooler fitted
Hi All.

New uprated Intercooler fitted, (Darkside). Bit of a strange one feedback wise.

Initially, I could sense the truck felt smoother and seemed less smokey (a bit more poke and less smoke), which was what i was after.

However, when the engine was fully warm, the response / power seemed to drop off. I'm not sure if it was increased turbo lag or something, or I need to check the hoses and clips again - maybe small leak. It felt like she didn't want to rev freely.

Was wondering if the boost needs upping because of the new intercooler? Will check the basics first, but was unsure why things were better when cold, rather than warmed up? Unfortunately, I don't have a boost gauge or Nanocom, but I do have the Empire Just Map It device, don't know if it shows boost pressure anywhere, at least I couldn't immediately see it on the parameters?

BTW, also have performance air filter fitted and i think that made a small positive difference on it's own (fitted and tested before intercooler).

Thanks for any suggestions / wisdom.

Cheers.
Post #1046742 25th Sep 2024 11:40am
bankz5152

2004 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Epsom Green
Hey,

So with the just map it, you should be able to read boost pressure under one of the live parameters. Will probably read in bar, I havnt got my laptop with me so can't check this second.

A boost leak would mean more smoke really.

As you have the just map it you can read and clear fault codes so wind the boost up to 1.2bar or 18psi. Instagram @defender_ventures
Empire Tuning - Agent
Post #1046744 25th Sep 2024 11:46am
110Matty

United Kingdom 
Thanks Bankz.

I took it for another drive and everything seemed fine with improved 'driveability' and 'smoothness' I'd say (I haven't changed / adjusted anything since this morning)!

I will clear the diagnostic info / errors and go for a spin and get clean info. Regarding the Just Map It, I still can't find Boost pressure, I can only find ambient air pressures and inlet manifold pressures, but I thought that was different to boost pressure?

Possibly, boost pressure is the difference between ambient and intake manifold pressures?

Cheers.
Post #1046785 25th Sep 2024 4:01pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12