↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > be aware
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
taffy

United Kingdom 
be aware
As a new member I was trawling this site to familiarise myself and came across the map section.
I saw my location marked street wise with an LR and was immediatley concerned
Why? if a thief wanted to ID location of LR all he has to do is tune into the map section and locate my vehicle
Why? two friends have recently had their LR stolen off their drive without keys
One was woken in the night (surrey)to be told by Police they had chased the vehicle through the East end before it crashing thief caught
The other found his LR had been taken off his drive (Surrey) both keys still indoors In the morning he received a phone call that his credit card had been used to buy petrol for his LR south of Paris
I think it is a gift to the car thief to identify where the LR owner is living as does the map on this site
Post #1045782 14th Sep 2024 11:11am
lightning

United Kingdom 
Thank you for the warning. l would suggest not entering your actual address on any public forum.

Also be careful posting photos of your vehicle showing the registration number. The reason for this
being, you can google the registration number and AI will find and show all photos online with that number plate.

One of which could identify where the vehicle was kept, if the photo was taken in your drive or outside your property
Post #1045789 14th Sep 2024 12:31pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Also, I won’t go into details, but, if you post photos on here it is safe, on any social media it is not.

I won’t disclose as to why, it won’t be discussed by me, but social media posts and photos etc is a pick up point.

Also beware of, again, social media, defender clubs, thieves frequent these places and pose as enthusiasts which they most certainly are not.
I no longer use social media anyway, not because of being tech rejecting but the idiocy and hate on it that goes on, I don’t feel I’m missing out, quite the opposite.

Turn everything off that you can think of unless it’s a need, that is a good scenario to chose and be aware that the settings can get overridden by updates, so always go back and ensure various things are turned off. By this I mean on tech like iphones iPads etc.

You even get authorities hacking things these days illegally, it happens all the time.
And it’s an offence to do that and they still do.

Call me cynical but I trust no one, beware of over interest in car parks by any observers too.

It doesn’t matter what it is, a new Def, original Defender, Trailer, tools etc, anything, anything, is fair game if it’s worth anything. NEVER SURRENDER! ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #1045792 14th Sep 2024 12:38pm
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
I never knew about that map feature. I don't show on their for whatever reason, which is good. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #1045805 14th Sep 2024 3:19pm
Balvaig

Scotland 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 Landmark LE Corris Grey
My understanding is that you only appear on the map feature if you authorise it. There are warnings about not being too exact in setting your location on the map too.
Hopefully Martin will explain the detail for those who are worried.
Post #1045808 14th Sep 2024 4:13pm
Muddybigdog

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Zambezi Silver
Also think of the background if you take pictures of your vehicle, its surprising what you can do with reverse searching and google lens Jumped ship to reliability - Mitsubishi L200
Puma 90 XS - Sold
D3 - 2.7 S x2 (both Sold)
Freelander 2 HSE - Sold
Freelander 1 - Sold
Disco 2 - Sold
Post #1045811 14th Sep 2024 5:11pm
CincyRovers1

United States 
I'm from the US and it still shocks me how much of a problem car theft is in the UK. I popped across the pond in July for the Goodwood Festival of Speed and everyone told me to be careful where I parked my rental car because of car theft. 𝟐𝟎𝟐𝟏 𝐃𝐞𝐟𝐞𝐧𝐝𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟏𝟎 𝐒 𝐏𝟑𝟎𝟎 (Pangea Green over Acorn/Lunar)
𝟐𝟎𝟐𝟑 𝐏𝐨𝐫𝐬𝐜𝐡𝐞 𝐌𝐚𝐜𝐚𝐧 𝐒 (Dolomite Silver over Black/Bordeaux Red)
𝟐𝟎𝟏𝟕 𝐃𝐢𝐬𝐜𝐨𝐯𝐞𝐫𝐲 𝐇𝐒𝐄 𝐋𝐮𝐱𝐮𝐫𝐲 𝐒𝐢𝟔 (Aintree Green over Vintage Tan/Ebony) - Gone
𝟐𝟎𝟏𝟏 𝐋𝐑𝟒 𝐇𝐒𝐄 𝟓.𝟎 (Ipanema Sand over Almond/Arabica) - Gone
Post #1046015 17th Sep 2024 1:58pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1