↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Volvo to abandon EV only pledge by 2030....
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Moo

Ukraine 
Volvo to abandon EV only pledge by 2030....

Click image to enlarge
 Eiger Grey MY23 D250 SE with bits. Known as Noddy.
Post #1044936 5th Sep 2024 5:03pm
J77

Scotland 
Looks like they’re sticking with petrol power after 2030. Big fan of Volvo, but I think they’re having a few issues with the EX30 and their new EX90 won’t come with half the tech it should, even apple car play, until future software update. Pretty poor for £100k car. 24MY 90 D250 HSE, Tasman Blue
23.5MY 90 D250 X-Dynamic SE, Pangea Green - Gone
22MY 110 D250 XS Edition, Hakuba Silver - Gone
21MY 90 D200 S, Tasman Blue - Gone
Post #1045114 7th Sep 2024 5:21pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
I recon there is going to be a big U turn on EV, the cost been a massive factor, and the forecast not been that high for the profit. Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #1045266 9th Sep 2024 6:04am
BaronDefenders

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 90 Td5 SW Santorini Black
I think this was inevitable. The only country I’ve seen take up EVs with much enthusiasm so far is Norway, but there was a massive government incentive (20% purchase price covered) for people to choose them over IC vehicles. Charlie

1949 Series 1 80 (SOLD)
2002 Td5 90 (SOLD)
2008 Freelander 2 (SOLD)

1958 Series 2 88 Pastel Green (2019 LR Legends Best Restored)
1983 V8 110 Limestone (Previously owned by Tom Sheppard MBE)
2004 Td5 90 Santorini Black (Td5INSIDE Powered & Rebuilt by CSK)
2012 Puma 110 Zermatt Silver (Overlanding Build)

Instagram: @BaronDefenders
Post #1045268 9th Sep 2024 6:31am
Zed

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Reading beyond the headline it just looks like they are behind the schedule they set in 2021 but still plan to go all electric.

https://www.cityam.com/volvo-insists-futur...ly-target/

Unsurprising when you consider the lack of action by governments plus huge pushback from the fossil fuel industry. Vehicle costs are also still too high for many, especially during this financial climate. WARNING.
This post may contain sarcasm.
Post #1045269 9th Sep 2024 6:43am
Chicken Drumstick

United Kingdom 
BaronDefenders wrote:
I think this was inevitable. The only country I’ve seen take up EVs with much enthusiasm so far is Norway, but there was a massive government incentive (20% purchase price covered) for people to choose them over IC vehicles.

Also Norway has a tiny population of only about 5.5m people vs say 70m for somewhere like the UK.

Last edited by Chicken Drumstick on 9th Sep 2024 7:58pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #1045295 9th Sep 2024 12:46pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
It was only an excuse to try and get people to get new cars and vehicles, when they realised they lost sales instead, rapidly, they yelped, and suddenly back peddled back to the start.

And yet, despite all of it successive governments of whatever type has managed to successfully kill off the U.K. car industry, yet they can spend incredible funds on things like Hinckley Point Nuclear and things like that, HS2 etc.

When you look at things like gas / electric etc, EON, EDF, SSE and so on.
You’ll notice these days, you pay for just having it not what you even use by standing charge.
You could no doubt if you had a property that was way only electric, cooking heating etc turn it off the entire year and not even use 1KW and come out the other side paying £1k for that year for not even using it.
I wouldn’t even be surprised if it isn’t cheaper to run your own petrol generator or other solar set ups etc than the grid, it’s not about international events at all its mega greed. Powered by Governments, not companies and industry. NEVER SURRENDER! ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #1045297 9th Sep 2024 1:38pm
H1Tad

United States 
BaronDefenders wrote:
I think this was inevitable. The only country I’ve seen take up EVs with much enthusiasm so far is Norway, but there was a massive government incentive (20% purchase price covered) for people to choose them over IC vehicles.

Ahh yes, I love being forced to pay for my neighbor's vanity rolling virtue signal. It's just as brazenly unfair as being forced to subsidize the installation of those god-awful solar panels on their roofs and then being forced to buy the electricity that they generate at the highest possible rate - thus increasing the cost I pay for my electricity. And before you tell me that "you could just do the same" - no. That would just be making the upside down incentive structure worse - and those panels are an eyesore (my neighbor's panels throw a glare into my house during certain times of the day which make it unbearable to be in that room).

I have a great idea. One could even - shockingly - call it novel.

Let's have products be judged in the market based on their value to the consumer. Not according to the need for others to impose their perverted sense of morality on others because of their inherent lack of character.

I really, really can't wait for the governments to start using the stick instead of the carrot to "convince" us unwashed masses to eat zee bugs and surrender to the subservient life of an EV operator. (You don't own an EV, the EV owns you). 2022 Defender 110 SE P400 Tasman Blue Expedition and Cold weather package
2003 Hummer H1 P400 Firehouse Red
2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser
Post #1045306 9th Sep 2024 3:21pm
TexasRover

France 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Chawton White
BaronDefenders wrote:

I lived on Norway for quite a few years. Things work in Norway partly because they have MONEY LOTS OF MONEY from selling dirty oil to the rest of the world to burn however they please.

I think the EV hype it's more of a guilt trip if you ask me.
Post #1045331 9th Sep 2024 6:45pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
H1Tad wrote:

I really, really can't wait for the governments to start using the stick instead of the carrot to "convince" us unwashed masses to eat zee bugs and surrender to the subservient life of an EV operator. (You don't own an EV, the EV owns you).

Oh they do try in a few places with finacial penalty, y’all got to realise that in GB we a TV licence and so that’s something to get your mind around in its self, even we don’t agree with it, but the Gov does, it’s unusual. Laughing

There is quite a few non common sense laws here. One such is having “E” marking on obligatory lighting on vehicles in the U.K., similarly to DOT regs as an example.
There is other backdated laws and construction and use stupidity such as dim dip regs for headlights, brought forwards but obsolete etc.
Blackwolf on here knows more about these things than myself, more knowledge of these things, but the fact remains that these things are obsolete anyway and just makes more problems.
Causing purely annoyance, and failure points that need not be.

Rolling with laughter

A bigger problem in the U.K. is overpopulation, this is what’s causing damage to nature and the environment, overpopulation and urbanisation. NEVER SURRENDER! ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #1045335 9th Sep 2024 7:08pm
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
The irony Texas Rover!!!!! Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

They sell oil and buy EV cars Rolling with laughter

I don't think that EV is the complete answer. But it is a start in the right direction if the world is serious about de-carbonising.

The anti-pylon debate is getting heated. People don't want pylons in their back garden, and I understand that. They want underground cables. Remarkably the cables from the off shore wind farms through Norfolk to the primary grid sites at Duston and Necton are being put underground, but as an electrician, I can see why the majority are going over head. The cables can be a lot smaller, they can be monitored, they are not liable to as much damage in the air, and they can be maintained easier. But they look terrible. If the country wants an EV future, electric heating systems in houses, this is the future. All large proportion of our super-grid transmission lines are in the midlands where we used to have coal mines and where we used to have power stations. Power is now coming from a different location and that ladies and gentlemen is progress. The cables are in the wrong place.

I honestly can't see myself ever owning an EV unless the price reduce. My wife has a Tesla which is a company car. A great car (albeit with some annoying glitches) and taking out the purchase price and the anxiety with the batteries, it is cheap motoring as long as you have a home charger and a sensible unit rate. If you need to rely on road side chargers, I suppose it is still cheaper than a ICE vehicle, but prices vary wildly.

Necessity is the mother of invention. The only reason ERF started making lorries was because the family firm Foden couldn't see a future in the new fangled internal combustion engine and wanted to stick building steam wagons. I just struggle to see how the world can keep producing batteries at the rate we are. The raw materials are no where near as prolific as oil. Will personal transport become a privilege only for the rich in years to come? I really hope not. I just hope the boffins pull something out of the hat.
Post #1045336 9th Sep 2024 7:13pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
Make the fuel cleaner, simple as. But no one will put the wages into it. Thumbs Up Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #1045346 9th Sep 2024 8:30pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1