↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Mini Recalls 140,000 EVs Over Battery Fire Risk
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
spudfan

Ireland 
Mini Recalls 140,000 EVs Over Battery Fire Risk
I know there is at least one member here who has an electric Mini and is very happy with it. I wonder how widespread this fault is as they are recalling so many cars.
Here is the link https://www.msn.com/en-ie/cars/news/mini-r...amp;ei=14.
Here is the article if you do not want to use the link.
The recall includes 12,535 EVs in the US.
More than 12,000 Mini Cooper SE electric vehicles are being recalled in the United States. It’s part of a global recall effort that affects over 140,000 Mini EVs that could have an issue with their batteries.

The recall affects 12,535 2020-2024 Mini Cooper SEs. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Safety Recall Report, the high-voltage battery may not have been produced according to the automaker’s specifications. The document didn’t specify a direct cause, stating, “Faults may occur in the high voltage battery or high voltage system, which could be caused by various reasons.”
A fault could lead to a short circuit, overheating the battery and causing a "thermal event," i.e., a fire. It can even happen when the EV isn’t even in operation, but a warning message will appear to the driver.
BMW North America said it’s not aware of any injuries or accidents related to the issue. It began investigating a Mini that suffered a thermal event in October 2023 before learning in January 2024 of a second incident occurring in Germany.

Mini will update the potentially affected vehicles with new software that includes a diagnostic function that can detect malfunctions in the high-voltage battery and discharge it below 30 percent. The update is free, and the automaker will begin notifying owners on October 7. 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
1992 110 200tdi csw -Zikali
2008 110 2.4 tdci csw-Zulu
2011 110 2.4 tdci csw-Masai
Post #1044726 3rd Sep 2024 10:53pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
on that note, its also looking that the car industry is coming to a crawl. JLR has mothballed, Nissan have done the same thing, INEOS has decided to stop production until Jan.
So i am wondering if its this EV thing causing a lot of trouble, people have stopped buying new cars, garages are practically chocka block with jobs around my area. I cannot even get the 306 in for the MOT, Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #1044852 5th Sep 2024 12:49am
H1Tad

United States 
Over here in the US the market has slowed considerably - EV's most of all.

Our Ford dealerships have more inventory than they've had in years. F150's are lining up like cordwood on the lots, and the "Lightning" the biggest offender. They simply cannot move those electric trucks - they're a boondoggle for the dealers and Ford just keeps forcing the dealers to accept deliveries. Meanwhile, models like the Bronco - that were selling for 2x MSRP during the pandemic are now available in various trims on the lots. If you want a Sasquatch package, you'll probably have to order it though. Biggest issue for Ford is simply high MSRP's. Nobody is paying $55k for a base model F150, nevermind $80k for a Lariat or a King Ranch.

GM has a similar problem - with undesirable models not moving. The European brands seem to be doing ok from what I can gather - except for Mercedes with their abysmal EV offerings. Likewise with the Audi e-Tron. Nobody wants them over here.

But by far, the biggest and most disastrous of all of the OEM's is Stellantis. RAM trucks cannot sell. They are outdated and ridiculously priced and come with a rather steep social stigma attached to them now. Dodge has a model called the Hornet, which is a rebadged Alfa Romeo Toenail (really, who decided that this was a good name for a car) and has something like a 600 day supply of inventory. They're killing off the Hemi V8's so the Charger and Challenger with their Hellcat trims are no longer going to be around - replaced by an EV that makes cat-noises... its so bad and Stellantis doesn't seem to give a damn. Jeep cannot sell Wranglers at $55k+ which is what they want for them... Gladiators are no longer desirable in the midsized truck market, and the biggest issue is the Wagoneer lineup. The Grand Wagoneer MSRP goes for over $110k, and its ugly! Imagine spending $110k on a giant Fiat 500, which is essentially what the American consumer thinks it is. I'm sorry to my friends over there in Europe, but Stellantis management is blind, dumb and stupid - and has no idea what the American consumer wants and can afford.

Toyota is even having problems now. While RAV4's are still selling like hotcakes, their issue with their new twin turbo V6 recall has really put a dent in their sterling reputation for quality. Tundras are stacking up on dealer lots now.

The interest rates are reasonable from a historical perspective, but anyone who didn't borrow money before quantitative easing started in 2008 thinks that they suck right now. The free money that was handed out during the pandemic, combined with the demand curve pushing up the prices of cars - now has led to a huge negative equity crisis and banks have stopped giving out 150% Loan-to-value loans. Car loan repos are up, rotating credit defaults are up, savings are down. Real wage growth is negative and inflation has tapped out the American consumer - and the car market slump (and housing market) is just a tell-tale sign of it. 2022 Defender 110 SE P400 Tasman Blue Expedition and Cold weather package
2003 Hummer H1 P400 Firehouse Red
2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser
Post #1044854 5th Sep 2024 1:21am
TexasRover

France 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Chawton White
Its hard to judge because of our own prejudice, but I feel modern cars have overreached with all sort of gadgetry designed to take more money off you without really providing any benefit. I occasionally rent cars and find the only real benefit is the quiet ride (new) and maybe fuel economy for some cars.

Surely there is a sweet spot for cost and benefit for a car. At the moment for private buyers the second hand cars seem to fit this spot better than new cars.

The stellar depreciation of the EV must also suppress the lease market, that money has to come from somewhere. That depreciation of the EV is down to poor adaptation of the post sale market: concerns about battery life and repairs, limited user market, street charging cost getting out of hand, insurance trigger happy to write off, fading incentives (tax is a big cost in Europe).
Post #1044858 5th Sep 2024 6:43am
lohr500

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
H1Tad wrote:

But by far, the biggest and most disastrous of all of the OEM's is Stellantis.

The way Stellantis treats Jeep customers in the UK is also diabolical in my opinion.

In most cases the Jeep brand is an add on to existing Fiat dealerships.
From my terrible experience with two such dealerships, they know next to nothing about servicing or repairing Wranglers.
There was a woeful lack of support, technical knowledge or spares availability from Jeep UK.
The Stellantis "customer care" team based in Europe were hopeless.

They are now asking usd$84,000 in the UK for a Wrangler Rubicon 4 door.

In my opinion, their implementation of the European 2.2 turbo diesel in the Wrangler a few years ago was a shambles. Mine was recovered three times on a flatbed over a two year period, spent over 8 weeks in the two dealerships. No end of problems with the diesel DPF system going into limp mode.

It took them nearly three months to get a replacement rear tailgate glass on a warranty claim.

And one time I booked it in for a service three weeks ahead of time. When I went to collect it the day after the service they told me they hadn't done it because they had no oil filter.

50 mile round trip every time to either of the dealers.

I threw in the towel just as the factory warranty was about to end.

I vowed never to buy another Stellantis brand vehicle again. Trouble is, I'm not so sure any of the other brands are any better when it comes to dealership support!!!!
Post #1044862 5th Sep 2024 7:19am
Procta

United Kingdom 
Jeep dealer support was poor, when my dad owned one. The parts were a utter nightmare, to get hold of, which was why he ended up got rid of it in the end, parts were on back order, or had to come from Italy. We sharp sussed out why a stack of load of them were been broken up for parts on ebay, by a lot of people. Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #1044898 5th Sep 2024 1:12pm
spudfan

Ireland 
Over here the EV is still being pushed as the way to go. Reports state that there has been a drop in EV sales but more hybrids sold. The hybrid thing always seemed an anomaly to me.
If you are running on battery power you are carrying the weight of the fossil fuel power unit, plus fuel plus auxillaries for the system so this is bound to impact on it's range.
Likewise when using the fossil powered engine you have to cart around the battaries and related paraphenalia so fuel consumption will go up. Neither system gets to work to it's optimum capacity.
Given the reports of fires in EV's it does not seem sensible to put a tank of combustible fuel into the mix as in a hybrid. Surely if there is a battery related fire in a hybrid the fuel in the fuel tank will only make it worse. 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
Post #1044904 5th Sep 2024 1:49pm
H1Tad

United States 
Hybrids offer the consumer what they want - flexibility and efficiency. When implemented correctly, the hybrid powertrains result in better efficiency - just think Prius, or the Toyota Highlander which is a 3-row SUV that can get more than 30mpg. Or they can be setup as a "power boost" like in the L663 or the new Corvette E-ray. Either way, they're working for consumers as evidenced by the sales numbers.

I won't go into BEV's as I have rather, *cough* extreme feelings on them and I don't want to lose friends over it - but lets just say that the slump in sales is absolutely no surprise to me whatsoever. 2022 Defender 110 SE P400 Tasman Blue Expedition and Cold weather package
2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser
Post #1044905 5th Sep 2024 1:58pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
The thing is the batteries and wiring is so large they can’t even be safely isolated, and they’ll reignite.
And this is on top of combustible fuel and vapour present too.
I’ve heard of burnt out ones having to be put in a skip of water to stop it catching fire again, that’s if it doesn’t try and ignite on the back of a recovery truck.
Oh and the voltage is often 400v+ DC which is twice the 240v AC mains, and more deadly by far.

I wonder what happens with the contaminated water as well, considering it’s been in lithium, lead, copper, oils, greases fire ashes, burnt plastics etc.
Significantly more copper is needed as well, which is mined, with heavy machinery.

Then there is the fact that the life is limited, I don’t think many of them would make beyond ten years.
And when capacity drops back, the range is reduced as well anyway.

Think of it like a saucepan on the boil with water in it, with petrol and diesel, you’d add more too keep the water boiling, you’d add more water when it evaporates away whilst boiling or turn it off.
Adding more water keeps it boiling,

Batteries, you can’t do that, because it runs out of capacity over time, so the water you add is less and less until you need a new saucepan.
Imagine if that saucepan is very expensive, basically including the cooker as well…

May as well add more water, it’s more efficient. Rolling with laughter

Wind and solar is okay when it works for energy production, but that is not reliable and often leaves nothing at all, then there is Nuclear, but the waste is never got rid of only stored, well forever.

Perhaps we should just embrace everything as it is, AND nature and improve both in tandem.
The latter here, can be improved without silliness involving eco zealotry and simply protected and improved.
The bigger issue is, a lot of people just don’t care.
It’s not cars or things like that that is the issue, it’s public attitude, over population, urban sprawl caused by it and the rest.
And yet there is still people who encourage that, and yet wonder why things are the way they are.
It’s often themselves who caused it, over progressive decades.

Often the precursor is greed, is the number one cause. NEVER SURRENDER! ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #1044908 5th Sep 2024 2:07pm
H1Tad

United States 
You certainly make valid points - however the cost to replace hybrid batteries vs BEV batteries is an order of magnitude difference - especially on the more traditional lead-acid cells like are found in Toyotas. In fact you can buy Lead-acid replacement cells individually to replace the bad ones in your hybrid battery packs. In the Prius its a DIY job to replace the battery pack as my buddy Chrisfix has noted:
 2022 Defender 110 SE P400 Tasman Blue Expedition and Cold weather package
2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser
Post #1044919 5th Sep 2024 3:02pm
spudfan

Ireland 
2019 Jaguar I-Pace Recalled For The Fifth Time Over Battery Fire Risk
This time, a new software update will limit the state of charge to 80%. A permanent fix still hasn’t been found, though.
The Jaguar I-Pace battery fire risk recall saga continues.
This latest recall for the 2019 model year still doesn't provide a permanent fix.
Instead, the temporary solution is to limit the maximum state of charge to 80%.
Jaguar I-Pace owners in the United States have had a rough time, especially those who bought a 2019 model year. the first to be sold. That’s because the British company’s first mass-market electric vehicle–and one of the first modern long-range EVs–has been recalled yet again for a battery fire risk.
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), this is the fifth time the 2019 Jaguar I-Pace has been recalled for the same problem. However, the bigger issue here is that there’s still no permanent fix for the problem.
The first recall, dated May 25, 2023, explained that some I-Pace EVs from all model years might have high-voltage battery packs that are prone to overheating, thus increasing the risk of a fire. The fix was to install an over-the-air software update for the battery energy control module that would monitor the state oFor the 2019 I-Pace, however, the problem persists, with three reports of battery fires in the U.S. coming in even after the latest fix. In the most recent recall dated August 23, 2024, the automaker advises owners to park and charge their vehicles outside and away from structures until the repair is complete and for an additional 30 days after that.f the high-voltage pack and, in some cases, individual battery modules were to be replaced.
But the repair still doesn’t exist. As a temporary fix, the recall report says the affected vehicles will get a new software update for the battery energy control module which will limit the maximum state of charge to 80%.

A total of 2,760 U.S.-spec Jaguar I-Pace EVs manufactured between January 5, 2018, and March 14, 2019, are affected by this latest recall.
https://www.msn.com/en-ie/cars/news/2019-j...&ei=24 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
Post #1044922 5th Sep 2024 3:33pm
Colin68

United Kingdom 
My other half currently has a Mini EV and was due to pick up her new one on the 1st September but this has been put on stop until BMW sort the problem out. They have been very vague with what the problem is and how long it will take to sort a fix.
Post #1044926 5th Sep 2024 3:59pm
spudfan

Ireland 
I'd say they do not know what the cause is, otherwise they would have remedied the issue by now.
I presume your other half was pleased with her Mini (car, not a piece of attire) if she was going for another one. 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
Post #1044927 5th Sep 2024 4:15pm
Colin68

United Kingdom 
Oh yes she loves it. Its bloody quick especially of the lights!
Post #1044928 5th Sep 2024 4:19pm
spudfan

Ireland 
Did you have a specific charging regime? 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
Post #1044929 5th Sep 2024 4:21pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>