↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > Td5 defender 2003 Cranking but not starting !
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Defender975

Hello,

The culprit is therefore the compression. here are the results with a fully charged battery, the 5 injectors removed at 19°C.

Cyl.1: 12 bar
Cyl.2: 16 bar
Cyl.3: 16 bar
Cyl 4: 18 bar
Cyl 5: 16 bar

By injecting oil into the cyl 1 and testing the compression it went up to 22 bar.

The specifications are 25-28 bar at 15°C or 21-25 bar at 40°C I'm far from it lol. I ordered an endoscope camera to see the condition of the cylinders
Post #1044534 2nd Sep 2024 12:58am
CJs110

Canada 2003 Defender 110 Td5 SW Zambezi Silver
Forgive my ignorance

But would the starter motor not affect the compression test results irrespective of a healthy/fully charged battery?

And I have experienced such a thing. When my land rover didn't like to start it would crank and crank and crank and then eventually fire. I got to a point where I wanted to ensure it wasn't low battery voltage so I actually had a trickle charger hooked up to it every night.

Then I was doing some research as to things that affect it and based on that I replaced the starter with and OEM DENSO.

Trust me the difference was night and day. I wish I had a video. Since diesel utilize compression to run - the initial ignition is crucial and the starter motor plays an outsized role.

I am wondering if that is the case for compression tests too? Even with the battery full charged my original starter motor did not crank the engine as quickly as the replacement. I never did a before/after compression test but that is my thought process - again could be wrong.
Post #1045077 7th Sep 2024 2:43am
Defender975

My starter motor runs my engine 250 rpm with the injectors in place, which is the required specifications
Post #1045260 8th Sep 2024 11:57pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12