↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > My Hummer H1 build
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
H1Tad

United States 
Quote:

Holy smokes! Visually it looks very compact. I wonder if it's deceptive. If I recall correctly they are very big/wide vehicles? So looking at the intrusions into the cab makes it seem quite cosy in there!

They are compact in a certain sense. They are wide - although by modern American full-size truck standards they're rather compact. The F150 Raptor, the TRX, and even the Bronco Raptor are all now wider than the H1 and not by an insignificant amount. Full size "HD" trucks are all just as wide, if not wider than the H1 these days. Length wise it is shorter than a Toyota Camry. Height it is also very reasonable (before I put a lift and 40's on it next year anyways).

Here's a picture of it crammed in my chaotic situation of a garage. I do have to manually fold the mirrors in to get it through the door but otherwise it fits just fine.

Click image to enlarge

Quote:
You should come over here for a trip and bring it for us to have a good ol' snoop around Laughing

I'll just get it airlifted over. The civilian version maintained the military airlift hooks which are 100% functional.

Now I just need a friend with a C-130 Laughing (My buddy John's F-15C won't cut the mustard I'm afraid)

Quote:
but probably one or two political bloopers one way or another to get there Laughing

Oh believe me, Clifford is very aware of that:

Click image to enlarge
 2022 Defender 110 SE P400 Tasman Blue Expedition and Cold weather package
2003 Hummer H1 P400 Firehouse Red
2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser
Post #1043028 17th Aug 2024 3:47pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
I’m sure the USAF can popover the pond to RAF Fairford, then on over to Salisbury Plain by road. Laughing

Bring a B-52 Strato as well. Cool Laughing

NEVER SURRENDER! ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #1043035 17th Aug 2024 4:48pm
Ianb

United Kingdom 1998 Defender 110 300 Tdi HT Alaska White
Post #1043037 17th Aug 2024 4:57pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Thumbs Up Good pic. NEVER SURRENDER! ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #1043045 17th Aug 2024 5:33pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
 NEVER SURRENDER! ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #1043046 17th Aug 2024 5:33pm
H1Tad

United States 
Quote:
I think quite a few people would be interested to see what kind of towing set up hitches etc y’all have.
As we have different towing set ups in GB, as well as heavily limiting licensing on towing weights. Rolling Eyes

Had to move the trailer yesterday so I took some opportunities to take a picture of the hitch setup as requested. This is of course unhitched and ust about to be dropped onto the pintle. This is my non-rotating pintle that I use for highway trailering.

Click image to enlarge

Here it is with the lunette ring dropped onto the pintle and the jaws secured shut with the locking pin.

Click image to enlarge

And here is a picture of the surge brake collar. For those unfamiliar with surge brakes, the trailer axle has drum brakes on it that use the inertia of the trailer itself to push against a master cylinder inside that collar that the lunette ring depresses when the tow vehicle decelerates. It's actually quite an ingenious system that works very well. The only downside is that reversing can sometimes be difficult with the trailer if you give it the beans enough to lock up the brakes.

Click image to enlarge
2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser
Post #1043774 24th Aug 2024 7:44pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
A shop owner down the road from me, owned one Thumbs Up Only time i ever saw one, and i thought it was bloody massive! This was back end of the 00s, not sure what they go for over here now, as i know they stopped importing or selling them here, a while ago. Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #1043847 25th Aug 2024 5:17pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
There is one for sale on eBay currently in Horsham:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/266955282186?_n...R5qrw6WxZA

There was a red one somewhere in GB on there a few weeks back for I think around £63k approx. NEVER SURRENDER! ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #1043848 25th Aug 2024 5:26pm
Ianb

I feel like top gear or maybe one of the youtube car channels did a hummer snippet where they (purposely I guess) drove round parts of the UK which were largely unsuitable for a wide vehicle... The Yeti - 110 Camper https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic90308.html
Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/@YetitheDefender
Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/yetithedefender/
Post #1043977 27th Aug 2024 10:14am
custom90

United Kingdom 
They did, I remember that too. Thumbs Up

Same with a Ram TRX, with a guy on YouTube.

Just for camera play mostly, people wouldn’t buy them if they didn’t want them.

To suggest as such is sort of like saying how good would a VW Polo be off road, it’s not designed for it just pointless camera acting kind of thing really.

I seem to remember they did something with a Challenger 2 tank on Salisbury Plain, and dropping a Hilux from a crane and things like that.

Hummer and Defender are the tougher 4wd, others are capable but also more road concentric.
Grenadier is robust and fit for purpose from what I can see.

I think a lot of people buy more of what they like the look of than what they are capable of these days, because they haven’t got a use or need for the vehicle.
There is of course people that do, many of us on here included but many people do just chose what they like the look of and that is quite okay by me. Very Happy NEVER SURRENDER! ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #1043992 27th Aug 2024 12:02pm
Ianb

Oh for sure. I actually grew a bit weary of the playing to the camera stuff that the tv shows played off as true life. Although what I do like about the Defender is that it's actually narrower than it visually appears, I find taking it down country roads in Devon and Cornwall to be no great task, driving into villages and small towns isn't a drama and because visually The Yeti (our defender Laughing Cool ) has a bit of presence (especially with the kayaks on the roof), most other drivers tend to give us a bit more space on tight manouevres (which helps with the QE2 turning circle of a 110)...

We used to have an LWB vivaro van and I honestly found that to be a lot worse because of other drivers not holding back at all.

I'd love to have a go in a Hummer, not sure I could afford the fuel to own one though Laughing The Yeti - 110 Camper https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic90308.html
Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/@YetitheDefender
Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/yetithedefender/

Last edited by Ianb on 2nd Sep 2024 5:30pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #1043999 27th Aug 2024 1:01pm
H1Tad

United States 
Quote:
I'd love to have a go in a Hummer, not sure I could afford the fuel to own one though Laughing

It's quite similar to the NAS Defender that I rode in a while back. Loud. Comfort is a decidedly secondary consideration. Every new noise is portending doom...

Speaking to my friends that drive NAS/Classic Defenders we get over here, the H1 does seem to be a bit more reliable however. You HAVE to stay on top of maintenance and not let things just go. The main reason people sell their H1's is due to the cost of deferred maintenance. Our Hummer Network Forum's New Owner's Common Issues PDF recommends that new buyers set aside $5k to catch the truck up on deferred maintenance. The "C" Service alone (every 12k miles) is about $1200.

All that being said, my truck is currently at the shop getting some work done including extending the driveshaft (after putting in upgraded diffs, my front driveshaft was barely long enough) - fixing my front e-locker, oil change, noise diagnosis (either exhaust leak or lifter tick, either one is no bueno). I have a camping trip planned for this Saturday so I hope my mechanic gets it all wrapped up by then.

Click image to enlarge
2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser
Post #1044487 1st Sep 2024 5:14pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Funny thing today, parked up in ASDA car park(parking lot) and a H2 in black came in with a lift and MT’s and then a retro 90 V8 as well in green again with a lift and on MT’s. Mr. Green

You couldn’t make it up, I only went in the shop for a few minutes. Laughing NEVER SURRENDER! ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #1045579 11th Sep 2024 6:53pm
H1Tad

United States 
Quote:
Funny thing today, parked up in ASDA car park(parking lot) and a H2 in black came in with a lift and MT’s and then a retro 90 V8 as well in green again with a lift and on MT’s. Mr. Green

My truck's been at the shop now for two weeks and wont be done until the end of next week. Driveshaft shop is taking forever to get my front driveshaft extended, refurbished and extended.

I miss the sound of MT's under my seat.

...actually being able to hear my wife is decidedly not as pleasant....
Laughing 2022 Defender 110 SE P400 Tasman Blue Expedition and Cold weather package
2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser
Post #1045593 11th Sep 2024 10:50pm
HardCharger

Philippines 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
Other than my Defender, the Humvee is my other dream vehicle. Looking to get one for myself in the future but will opt to go for the military auction ones as I tend to drown vehicles apparently. Having already the AC and armor already installed is a bit plus too! Very Happy

This is one vehicle I have a deep emotional attachment to as we lived out of one on deployment a few month back. No Better Friend, No Worse Enemy
Post #1045604 12th Sep 2024 7:25am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>