Home > Puma (Tdci) > Diff lock won’t engage
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Charlie_landy

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Alaska White
Diff lock won’t engage
Hi all,

I was out green landing a few days ago went to put diff lock on and would go also no light. The high/low stick moves as it should, I tried some wd40 on linkages to make sure, but didn’t work. Does anyone have any ideas? Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks charlie
Post #944856 6th Mar 2022 9:35pm
Julie

France 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
Is it the diff or is it just the yellow control light ?
Post #944863 6th Mar 2022 10:20pm
Charlie_landy

Thanks for reply, it’s the diff that won’t engage aswell as the light.
Post #944876 7th Mar 2022 7:44am
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
I have this issue too, but my lever doesn’t feel like it’s moving properly. I just haven’t had chance to investigate yet. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #944883 7th Mar 2022 9:42am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Usually this is because the selector mechanism has atrophied through lack of use and consequent lack of lubrication, but remedying it is not necessarily straightforward since it depends on which part has atrophied.

The first step is to get underneath and ensure that the external linkages are moving freely and fully. If they're not, you've probably identified the problem, and judicious application of lubricant and moving the linkage may solve it. If the external linkages are moving freely and fully and you still have no difflock, then it is overwhelmingly likely that the selector fork has seized on its shaft in the transfer box.

It is possibly (but extremely tricky due to poor access) to deal with this with the transfer box in situ if you remove the access panel (7 bolts on the nearside face of the front output housing of the transfer box) and lubricate the shaft and fork and manipulate the fork manually.

It is sensible to operate the CDL fairly regularly to make sure that it remains free and lubricated especially on vehicles which do low mileages.
Post #944885 7th Mar 2022 9:56am
Charlie_landy

I took the chubby box out and can see it all moving freely. I use the diff once a month to make sure it doesn’t seize. Looks like it’s gonna be a trip to the garage. Thanks for your help
Post #944893 7th Mar 2022 11:13am
Charlie_landy

I engaged the diff lock this morning. Reversed on the drive, jacked it up and the wheel unspun a few inches. When the wheel was jacked up it wouldn’t spin.
Then I took it out of diff lock jacked one wheel up and the wheel would spin. Does this mean diff lock is engaging and the light on the dash isn’t working? It has worked in the past.
Post #945617 13th Mar 2022 12:22pm
Charlie_landy

I engaged the diff lock this morning. Reversed on the drive, jacked it up and the wheel unspun a few inches. When the wheel was jacked up it wouldn’t spin.
Then I took it out of diff lock jacked one wheel up and the wheel would spin. Does this mean diff lock is engaging and the light on the dash isn’t working? It has worked in the past.
Post #945618 13th Mar 2022 12:22pm
htb2

Wales 
Yes correct, Diff lock is engaging but the light is not working, could be be switch on transfer box or wiring further upline.
Post #945623 13th Mar 2022 1:44pm
Charlie_landy

We’ll that’s good news, thanks for your help. I’ll have a search and see if I can diagnose which one it is. Thanks again charlie
Post #945643 13th Mar 2022 3:20pm
Charlie_landy

Click image to enlarge

I’ve had another look under the cubby box and the black cable is disconnected on the connector. Does anyone know what it’s for please?
Post #945690 13th Mar 2022 9:02pm
CallumB

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
blackwolf wrote:
Usually this is because the selector mechanism has atrophied through lack of use and consequent lack of lubrication, but remedying it is not necessarily straightforward since it depends on which part has atrophied.

The first step is to get underneath and ensure that the external linkages are moving freely and fully. If they're not, you've probably identified the problem, and judicious application of lubricant and moving the linkage may solve it. If the external linkages are moving freely and fully and you still have no difflock, then it is overwhelmingly likely that the selector fork has seized on its shaft in the transfer box.

It is possibly (but extremely tricky due to poor access) to deal with this with the transfer box in situ if you remove the access panel (7 bolts on the nearside face of the front output housing of the transfer box) and lubricate the shaft and fork and manipulate the fork manually.

It is sensible to operate the CDL fairly regularly to make sure that it remains free and lubricated especially on vehicles which do low mileages.

Hi Blackwolf, hoping you can add further advice to this thread. I've just been under my 2.2 110 trying to free my diff lock to no avail. All oiled up and the mechanism appears to move OK*, as well as the shaft into the transfer casing. *However, the shift lever doesn't seem to want to stay either to the right or left when selecting CDL off or on respectively. The shift lever springs back to more like the middle of the travel (you can see this on the video I shot of it: https://youtube.com/shorts/8eJMydeqJXc?feature=share). This doesn't effect either High or Low range selection (I get why as this is a separate linkage as you stated in another post I think). Do you think its the fork issue you described or maybe a faulty shift lever? I'm worried that the previous owner has stripped something by maybe accidentally having it in CDL on and driving fast! Thanks in advance.
Post #1043827 25th Aug 2024 2:35pm
Mo Murphy

United Kingdom 1984 Defender 90 200 Tdi HT Pennine Grey
Try driving slowly forward holding the lever over in diff lock until it engages. You need to have the diff rotating to engage diff lock.
Mo The Land Rover 90 - Many are called, few are chosen.
Post #1043829 25th Aug 2024 2:49pm
CallumB

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Thanks Mo. Tried that a dozen times and no luck Sad
Post #1043830 25th Aug 2024 3:16pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
blackwolf:- wrote:
1)Usually this is because the selector mechanism has atrophied through lack of use and consequent lack of lubrication, but remedying it is not necessarily straightforward since it depends on which part has atrophied.

2)It is sensible to operate the CDL fairly regularly to make sure that it remains free and lubricated especially on vehicles which do low mileages.

This. Thumbs Up NEVER SURRENDER! ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧

Last edited by custom90 on 25th Aug 2024 5:21pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #1043840 25th Aug 2024 4:55pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>