↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > Brake 'Hold' triggered manually
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
XplusYplusZ

Brake 'Hold' triggered manually
Doing a lot of rush hour commuting in London, I spend a half my trips sitting stationary. For the longest time I'd been using the auto-hold brake feature. It's okayy.. but it always kicked it a touch early and made coming to a halt a touch more abrupt than I'd prefer. So a few weeks ago I turned it off and found I could cruise to a much more finessed stop. I'd assumed it meant forgoing the auto-hold, for nicer stops and creeping..

But, I discovered that the brake 'Hold' feature can be triggered manually without selecting 'auto-hold'. Not only did this work on hills, but whenever you want to trigger it. (Sorry if I'm behind the game here!)

The only thing is - I'm not quite sure how it's supposed to be triggered. I think it's one of two things which triggers this kinda 'manual' hold feature:
1. Come to a stop gently, then extend the press with more pressure.
OR
2. Come to a stop gently, release a little and second press the pedal.

Neither seem to deliver consistent results, but I'd like to know, in theory, how it's supposed to work..
Does anyone know?
1. Heavy sustained press, or 2. Double press of the brake?

Cheers
Post #1041270 29th Jul 2024 2:10pm
J77

Scotland 
Yes youโ€™re slightly behind Laughing

Come to a halt and just press the brake pedal harder and youโ€™ll see the green HOLD on the dash Thumbs Up 24MY 90 D250 HSE, Tasman Blue
23.5MY 90 D250 X-Dynamic SE, Pangea Green - Gone
22MY 110 D250 XS Edition, Hakuba Silver - Gone
21MY 90 D200 S, Tasman Blue - Gone
Post #1041286 29th Jul 2024 6:17pm
lightning

United Kingdom 
Come to a stop then press the pedal harder and it will engage.
Post #1041289 29th Jul 2024 6:34pm
Gareth

England 
If youโ€™ve come to a halt after heavy braking, you will need to press even harder. Normally works a treat though and itโ€™s the way I have mine configured. 2021 Defender 110 X-Dynamic HSE D300 MHEV
1966 S2a 109 aka Betsy
1968 S2a 88 aka Bob
2014 Jaaaag F Type 3.0 Supercharged.
Post #1041291 29th Jul 2024 6:39pm
Hairy Dan

United Kingdom 1998 Defender 90 V8 Petrol 50th Auto Chawton White
Re: Brake 'Hold' triggered manually
XplusYplusZ wrote:
It's okayy.. but it always kicked it a touch early and made coming to a halt a touch more abrupt than I'd prefer.

Not sure what you mean by this part, brake hold only happens after the vehicle has come to a halt so I'm not sure how it would make the stop more abrupt Confused As others have said, once you have stopped a quick firm press engages brake hold. Cheers Ian
--------------------
22MY Defender 110 D200 SE, Fuji White.
Kielder 4x4 Safari
Instagram @defender_v8
Post #1041298 29th Jul 2024 7:53pm
XplusYplusZ

So brake harder, and not double tap - thanks Gents! I guess it kinda makes sense, releasing and re-squeezing the pedal could result in forward movement if you're clumsy.

Hairy - Perhaps it's my mind playing tricks on me. Obviously it's very noticeable when moving away from auto-hold vs. a gradual releasing of the footbrake. It's a small lurch from auto-hold as it triggers the handbrake release. But I am relatively confident I can also notice it on stopping too - the handbrake triggering before it's at a complete standstill. I'll have a play around to see if I can pinpoint what's going on with the vehicle/my head!
Post #1041336 30th Jul 2024 8:58am
Bobbobbobbob

United Kingdom 
Thanks all, useful to know!
Post #1041355 30th Jul 2024 11:08am
XplusYplusZ

XplusYplusZ wrote:
I am relatively confident I can also notice it on stopping too - the handbrake triggering before it's at a complete standstill. I'll have a play around to see if I can pinpoint what's going on with the vehicle/my head!

Just confirming, the handbrake triggers when the brake is applied and I'm rolling at around 1/2 an mph or so. It definitely triggers before I'm at a complete stop which feels lurchier than if I manually brake to a halt.
Post #1042107 7th Aug 2024 9:56am
CincyRovers1

United States 
The EPB does not engage when the brakes are applied. It only engages manually, or when the vehicle is put into Park. ๐Ÿ๐ŸŽ๐Ÿ๐Ÿ ๐ƒ๐ž๐Ÿ๐ž๐ง๐๐ž๐ซ ๐Ÿ๐Ÿ๐ŸŽ ๐’ ๐๐Ÿ‘๐ŸŽ๐ŸŽ (Pangea Green over Acorn/Lunar)
๐Ÿ๐ŸŽ๐Ÿ๐Ÿ‘ ๐๐จ๐ซ๐ฌ๐œ๐ก๐ž ๐Œ๐š๐œ๐š๐ง ๐’ (Dolomite Silver over Black/Bordeaux Red)
๐Ÿ๐ŸŽ๐Ÿ๐Ÿ• ๐ƒ๐ข๐ฌ๐œ๐จ๐ฏ๐ž๐ซ๐ฒ ๐‡๐’๐„ ๐‹๐ฎ๐ฑ๐ฎ๐ซ๐ฒ ๐’๐ข๐Ÿ” (Aintree Green over Vintage Tan/Ebony) - Gone
๐Ÿ๐ŸŽ๐Ÿ๐Ÿ ๐‹๐‘๐Ÿ’ ๐‡๐’๐„ ๐Ÿ“.๐ŸŽ (Ipanema Sand over Almond/Arabica) - Gone
Post #1042261 8th Aug 2024 6:43pm
XplusYplusZ

Ah, maybe a technicality then.

What I mean is that the brake hold triggers at a very low speed, but not at a complete standstill.
If the above is true, then it sounds like this is based on the regular braking system, not the parking brake?
Post #1042839 15th Aug 2024 3:53pm
CincyRovers1

United States 
Brake hold runs off the normal brakes, not the parking brake, and it only engages once the vehicle is at a complete stop, whether you have it set to engage automatically or not. ๐Ÿ๐ŸŽ๐Ÿ๐Ÿ ๐ƒ๐ž๐Ÿ๐ž๐ง๐๐ž๐ซ ๐Ÿ๐Ÿ๐ŸŽ ๐’ ๐๐Ÿ‘๐ŸŽ๐ŸŽ (Pangea Green over Acorn/Lunar)
๐Ÿ๐ŸŽ๐Ÿ๐Ÿ‘ ๐๐จ๐ซ๐ฌ๐œ๐ก๐ž ๐Œ๐š๐œ๐š๐ง ๐’ (Dolomite Silver over Black/Bordeaux Red)
๐Ÿ๐ŸŽ๐Ÿ๐Ÿ• ๐ƒ๐ข๐ฌ๐œ๐จ๐ฏ๐ž๐ซ๐ฒ ๐‡๐’๐„ ๐‹๐ฎ๐ฑ๐ฎ๐ซ๐ฒ ๐’๐ข๐Ÿ” (Aintree Green over Vintage Tan/Ebony) - Gone
๐Ÿ๐ŸŽ๐Ÿ๐Ÿ ๐‹๐‘๐Ÿ’ ๐‡๐’๐„ ๐Ÿ“.๐ŸŽ (Ipanema Sand over Almond/Arabica) - Gone
Post #1042847 15th Aug 2024 5:42pm
XplusYplusZ

That's the theory.. but I can definitely be creeping along on the brakes (below 1mph, maybe 1/2mph) and it'll engage before I'm at a complete stop. It's definitely more abrupt than I like to come to a halt.
Post #1043561 22nd Aug 2024 5:25pm
macduff

United Kingdom 
I turned off the auto brake hold feature as it was a major hazard trying to reverse into tight spaces or where you needed precise rear wheel clearance in car parks. However if the "manual" brake hold feature uses the normal brake calipers/pads I wonder if there is a risk of pad deposits being left when the used after heavy braking ie when the pads/disks are hot. I had experience of that on motorbikes when using (mostly front) brakes to hold the bike stationary after heavy braking , the pads often leave a baked on deposit on the disk that is a PITA to remove, & results in heavy brake vibration afterwards. 2023 110 P400e
Post #1043622 23rd Aug 2024 9:50am
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
Yes - the brake hold uses the normal pads. Brake vibration caused by pad material deposition is an issue which Defenders are very prone to and so one to be aware of.
Post #1043632 23rd Aug 2024 11:26am
DFNDER

Australia 
Std practice to release and slightly roll fwd (when safe) after a heavy braking event to avoid local heat soak into a brake rotor that warps the disc. This is common for all disk braked vehicles, not just JLR. It's not the pad material deposited that causes brake pulse, it's the localized heat that warps the rotors. It's also why DOT4 fluid is used as it has a higher boiling point.

Brake hold only engages when thr vehicle has registered 0kph/mph. It also shows "hold" in the display. If this is not showing, it would seem to me that when rolling at 0.5 to 1 mph, the brakes simply grab.
Post #1043963 27th Aug 2024 3:44am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>