steveww

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Bronze Green
The correct gear stick
Why did Ineos not do this?
?si=HF8OBiYcuKCbS2xh
Post #1041000 25th Jul 2024 10:36pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
I believe that BMW gave them no choice, but it's good to know that an easy swap is possible. The Supra shifter looks much better.
Post #1041003 25th Jul 2024 10:53pm
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
I guess Ineos didn't do that because that's a design Toyota own or paid BMW to come up with. I believe the cost of engineering a new shifters is insane relative to what is because of the safety critical function they perform. Ineos probably just couldn't make case for it given the relatively small volumes. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #1041012 26th Jul 2024 7:36am
blackwolf

It is more likely to be due to commercial warranties and contractual requirements for the use of the BMW transmission, I would think. It would be (slightly) interesting to know if BMW designed the Supra shifter for Toyota, or if Toyota designed it.

I don't really see how the shifter could be considered safety-critical any more than a gear lever could be unless there is a failure mode whereby a shifter fault can lock the transmission, in which case some very poor design has been allowed.
Post #1041022 26th Jul 2024 9:35am
Chicken Drumstick

United Kingdom 
I agree. There are far more safety critical components and at the end of the day the shifter is just a plastic housing. I image it would be fairly simply to design a new housing while retaining the original pcb too as there are only 2 physical switches on the board (reverse and park buttons).
Post #1041025 26th Jul 2024 10:40am
Bluest

blackwolf wrote:
It is more likely to be due to commercial warranties and contractual requirements for the use of the BMW transmission, I would think. It would be (slightly) interesting to know if BMW designed the Supra shifter for Toyota, or if Toyota designed it.

I don't really see how the shifter could be considered safety-critical any more than a gear lever could be unless there is a failure mode whereby a shifter fault can lock the transmission, in which case some very poor design has been allowed.

My understandings is it is because it electronically instructs selection of park and gear selection. For example: If you spilt a bottle of water on it and suddenly it leapt into drive from park, or shifted into reverse at 80 there could be consequences. The certification required to show it doesn't do anything it shouldn't and is basically idiot proof is very expensive. It is far cheaper to use the existing shifter which BMW/ZF have already amortised the cost of development of over many thousands of vehicles. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #1041029 26th Jul 2024 11:42am
blackwolf

Essentially I agree but I am sure that the shifter only indicates the driver demand to an ECU and the ECU then controls the transmission. If what you suggest is true, the driver pressing the park button whilst traveling at speed, or selecting reverse or just an inappropriate gear for the speed or direction, would have the same effect. I am fairly sure that the ECU provides the protection, in which case the shifter is not itself an SC component except to the extent that it is part of an SC system.
Post #1041032 26th Jul 2024 1:10pm
Bluest

Agreed, but it will still need to tested along with the ECU as system, to ensure nothing unexpected can happen in use. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #1041040 26th Jul 2024 2:58pm
LR Nuts

When seeing this I was really hoping someone had come up with the 'logical' auto gear shift.

I have driven manual cars all my 50 yrs of driving. Then I get an auto which is so crazy.
To select D (Forwards) you move the stick Back. To select R (Reverse) you move the stick forwards.

Who came up with this crazy idea ? , so illogical.

Don't have a Ineos, but do have a LR New Defender, which uses the same principle.
I just want to change it.

But then what happens when someone else drives my vehicle ?

I can't be the only one here, so why wasn't it made more logical years and years ago ?
Post #1041047 26th Jul 2024 4:59pm
Chicken Drumstick

United Kingdom 
The BMW ZF8 shifter is horrid imo. It is also designed for lhd not rhd.

As for shifters in autos in general. I think they are logical. It’s just a different logic. When you accelerate you get pushed back in the seat/car. So it makes sense to pull the lever backwards. Likewise when you reverse the force would be pushing the stick away.

Similar logic to how pull back for a plane is to go up and pushing forwards is to dive.

If you want an illogical setup look at some Mercedes cars that have something that looks and feels like an indicator stalk in an indicator stalk location. But is actually the gear shifter!
Post #1041051 26th Jul 2024 5:16pm
blackwolf

Every auto I've ever driven has been like that, I don't think it is anything new.

Admittedly I haven't driven an auto more modern than the 1980s and back then the selector always was P R N D 2 1 from forward to back. And reverse in my Puma involves moving the selector forwards, and 2, 4 and 6 involve moving it backwards.

I've never felt it was a problem.
Post #1041053 26th Jul 2024 5:22pm
LR Nuts

Chicken Drumstick wrote:

Similar logic to how pull back for a plane is to go up and pushing forwards is to dive.

so not only did they get the vehicle wrong ..... they do it on aeroplanes also.

Whistle
Post #1041065 26th Jul 2024 7:00pm
LR Nuts

blackwolf wrote:
Every auto I've ever driven has been like that, I don't think it is anything new.

Doesn't make it right.

I am an engineer and know how things should be, tell me I am wrong.

Pure lazyist on behalf of the design designer
Post #1041066 26th Jul 2024 7:02pm
discomog

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
All modern automatics with floor shift that I have driven (that's a lot) you have to push the lever forward for reverse and pull back for drive. I know some folks prefer the circular knurled knob but that's even more confusing. Defender 90XS SW
Mini Countryman Cooper S
Morgan Plus 8
Post #1041074 26th Jul 2024 8:15pm
Chugga90

I really liked the rotary shift on my Discovery 4. Had a column shift on the auto Mercedes sprinter, disliked that muchly.
My Volkswagen Transporters are both more conventional auto levers and are great.

Find the lever in the current crop of Range Rover Sports annoying.
Post #1041077 26th Jul 2024 9:03pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>