↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > 2007 Puma 90 XS Security
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
216lcg

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
2007 Puma 90 XS Security
I have had my 90 xs from new and never had any issues with security - albeit it has spent all of its life in either an underground carpark or in a driveway. But we are moving home which means it will be parked on the road outside or close by our new house. It has the factory alarm and immobiliser but should I start using some kind of steering/ pedal guard and if so what is recommended ? Many thanks
Post #1040913 24th Jul 2024 5:27pm
Ianh

United Kingdom 
Ardcase or adrenaline 4x4 pedal lock, plus an Optimill quick release boss and swivel lock as the bare minimum.
Relocate the bbus sounder, add additional immobilisation and a tracker or two.
Post #1040927 24th Jul 2024 9:32pm
Mo Murphy

United Kingdom 1984 Defender 90 200 Tdi HT Pennine Grey
I'd recommend the X-Eng pedal guard as it doesn't require stowage being permanently fixed in place.
I'd also recommend the X-eng x defend (IIRC) stops the ignition barrel being pulled out.
I haven't got a quick release steering wheel as of the type produced by optimill but I can see it's value and as such is on my shopping list !
HTH
Mo The Land Rover 90 - Many are called, few are chosen.
Post #1040936 25th Jul 2024 7:01am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
It's a good idea to lock, disable, or move the OBDII port as well.
Post #1040950 25th Jul 2024 9:19am
discomog

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
If I were to park my Defender on the street overnight the absolute minimum security would be removable steering wheel & Optimil swivel lock plus a pedal lock. The next level would be a tracker and engine immobiliser. Defender 90XS SW
Mini Countryman Cooper S
Morgan Plus 8
Post #1040951 25th Jul 2024 9:23am
Beco90

United Kingdom 
I usually split security into prevention, and recovery.

Prevention: you want to make it as hard to steal as possible, and to slow any potential thieves down enough that they are disturbed and abandon their attempt, or ideally are caught.

Recovery: worst l case scenario the thieves are successful but with a tracker you have a fighting chance of getting it back. Look at trackers that combine GPS and GSM (mobile phone signal) as these have less chance of being jammed/blocked.

As others have said you want the best possible pedal lock and best possible steering wheel lock. Which are probable from Ardcase, Adrenaline and Optimill.

Then I have also moved to secure items that could be stolen from the vehicle which would cost a lot to replace eg the bonnet, doors and spare wheel. You can get upgraded door hinges which don’t have exposed fastenings, padlocks to secure the spare wheel and bonnet cable guards to prevent the bonnet lock from being cut. Also look at securing or relocating the factory alarm loom which can easily be cut.

4WD.co.uk sell basically all of these Defender security products.

Don’t forget to inform your insurance company of any security upgrades - you may get a discount, particularly if they’re Thatcham approved. Or at least it may cancel out any possible increase in insurance cost from parking on the road instead of on a drive or secure car park.
Post #1041016 26th Jul 2024 7:50am
216lcg

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
All good advice. Thankyou
Post #1041017 26th Jul 2024 8:12am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
I would suggest doing something to secure the two windows either side of the rear door since these can be removed without tools in seconds and afford a really quick entry method into the car.

A 2007 Defender will (unless it has been subsequently modified which is unlikely) will have the major alarm vulnerability that was addressed by LTB00386 as discussed in this thread. I would strongly recommend doing the LTB00386 modification.

It is worth checking on a vehicle of that age that the BBUS battery still has life in it, many have died by now and unfortunately the BBUS is no longer available as a replacement part as far as I know.
Post #1041021 26th Jul 2024 9:29am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1