↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Wheels & Tyres > What do we think of remoulds these days?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
BogMonster

Falkland Islands 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
What do we think of remoulds these days?
Seeking opinion on the current crop of remoulds these days. I only have limited experience which was with some about 15 or more years ago which were utter junk and suffered major tread delamination. I imported a batch for sale as well as some for myself, and we ended up almost giving the stock ones away to get rid of them.

My specific use case is that I have an oldish Ford Ranger (don't shoot me!) which used to be my main vehicle and has always worn BFG ATs, now on about its 3rd set.

The replacement price for BFGs now is so silly that for a limited-use vehicle (it's now 3rd or 4th in the pecking order and usually used for the farm and rubbish dump trips) I don't think it makes sense, over £1000 for a set of 4 by the time I get them here, so I'm looking for something cheaper.

255/70R16 is the preference, but I may have to give way on that and go for 245/75R16 as a more common size. Insa Turbo do a Ranger in that size. What are they like nowadays? The alternative is to try and find some Maxxis Wormdrive, though they seem to be a Schrodinger's tyre, i.e. they are available on the internet until you actually want to buy a set, and then they aren't... ---
2006 Defender 110 SW 300Tdi • 2011 Ford Ranger XLT crewcab • 2015 Defender 110 Station Wagon Utility TDCi
Post #1039348 7th Jul 2024 12:42pm
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
This may or may not be relevant, but....

Through my job I did a study with one of the big premium tyre manufacturers looking at the cause of HGV truck tyre failures. Retreads were not disproportionately represented in the failures, I.e. there was no evidence that retreats were failing more often than non-retread, on trucks at least. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #1039353 7th Jul 2024 1:23pm
rustandoil

England 2005 Defender 110 Td5 XS DCPU Bonatti Grey
The Insa Turbo Sahara's fitted to my RRC have given no trouble.... And surprisingly quiet given the tread pattern, shame they don't t make them in 265 75 16
Post #1039368 7th Jul 2024 2:35pm
Chicken Drumstick

United Kingdom 
Re: What do we think of remoulds these days?
BogMonster wrote:
Seeking opinion on the current crop of remoulds these days. I only have limited experience which was with some about 15 or more years ago which were utter junk and suffered major tread delamination. I imported a batch for sale as well as some for myself, and we ended up almost giving the stock ones away to get rid of them.

My specific use case is that I have an oldish Ford Ranger (don't shoot me!) which used to be my main vehicle and has always worn BFG ATs, now on about its 3rd set.

The replacement price for BFGs now is so silly that for a limited-use vehicle (it's now 3rd or 4th in the pecking order and usually used for the farm and rubbish dump trips) I don't think it makes sense, over £1000 for a set of 4 by the time I get them here, so I'm looking for something cheaper.

255/70R16 is the preference, but I may have to give way on that and go for 245/75R16 as a more common size. Insa Turbo do a Ranger in that size. What are they like nowadays? The alternative is to try and find some Maxxis Wormdrive, though they seem to be a Schrodinger's tyre, i.e. they are available on the internet until you actually want to buy a set, and then they aren't...

Can’t say I’ve ever had issues with remoulds really. We’ve had loads over the years. But for 2 main reasons:

1. They tend to offer more aggressive MT patterns than most mainstream tyre makers. Thus giving significant off road performance advantages, especially for competition and trials use.

2. Price. A remould used to be significantly cheaper than a new tyre.

I would say point 1 still holds true. But point 2 longer does. In some cases the remoulds are more money than a new tyre!

And while I say we’ve had no major issues. The remoulds never tend to last as long overall. But I can’t say I’d call any of them junk.

I personally wouldn’t buy them for a road based vehicle or less aggressive tread pattern. Not when there are so many other non remould tyres available these days for less or similar money. It makes no sense what so ever. Years back 235/85’s could be had for £40-70/tyre in a remould while a new tyre would be £100-120/tyre. You can still get new tyres for similar money but the remoulds are just as expensive or more.

I have 255/70R16’s on the Ninety. Maxxis a Wormdrives. Think I paid just over £400 for a set of 4 a few years back. I bet a similar sized remould would be £115-125/tyre currently. Just not worth it IMO.

Not sure where you are or importing from/to. But would none of these be better candidates for you than remoulds, given you are only wanting an AT tyre?

https://tyresdirectuk.co.uk/products/255-7...ra1100-rwl

https://tyresdirectuk.co.uk/products/255-7...xon_id=112

https://tyresdirectuk.co.uk/products/255-7...axon_id=79

https://tyresdirectuk.co.uk/products/255-7...taxon_id=8

The Wormdrives aren’t much more. But again no idea for you. But I suspect all massively cheaper than the BFG’s.
Post #1039371 7th Jul 2024 2:44pm
MadTom

Czech Republic 1999 Defender 130 Td5 HCPU Baltic Blue
235/85/R16 on Discovery 2 - remould copy of BFG AT - died too soon with lot of rubber still on the tire, the just started cracking after few day in sand with low pressure (like 1 bar).
Remould MT Insa - good i deep mud, heavy and a bit bigger than other tires in this size.
From new both tires had very hard rubber, unusable in winter.
For me - remould only for agressive MT, BFG MT are not agressive, and not for mainly road use. "Drobek" = The Small One - Discovery 2, "Blufínek" = The Blue Thing - Defender 130, and for me at least Ford Mondeo Smile
Post #1039399 7th Jul 2024 7:18pm
Chris86

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 110 Td5 USW Chawton White
Have used/run quite a few remoulds on various vehicles over the years, my biggest issue with them is how hit-and-miss the quality is.

Colway used to be the best of the remoulds- to the extent that they were the control tyre for a motorsport formula a few years ago, sadly they are no longer around.

On the MT tyre tests I was involved with last year we had a set of remoulds which were a copy of the BFG KM2 they performed poorly on wet & dry braking and handling but actually beat the supposed “market leader” on the mud test somewhat ironically given the pattern.

However, they were very heavy, difficult to balance, and the machine we used to mount them measures how round they are…….they were more far from round, sort of semi octagonal.

The other thing we found was that the tread chipped easily when we tested on gravel and rock, losing significant chunks from the edge tread.

I have also seen delaminating, issues with overheating of the casket causing premature degrading of the rubber, and tread block loss. We had a set that where I used to work which was constantly picking up sidewall damage, which I put down to having been on an innapropriate casket with too few ply’s in the sidewall.

Would I use a remould- yes, on a vehicle that did very minimal road miles or where I needed a super aggressive tread pattern, otherwise no.

Chris
Post #1039401 7th Jul 2024 7:57pm
mini Anaconda

United Kingdom 
I ran Insa Turbo Sahara remoulds on my Series 2 for 8 years with a mixture of on road and offroad driving.
I thought they were great, good price, behaved well on the road and offroad and still looked good 8 years later when I sold it.

Not sure I would run them daily up and down the motorway on my Discovery or 90 but sound fine for what you would use yours for. BORG - Bucks & Oxon 4x4 Response Group
Post #1039402 7th Jul 2024 8:47pm
BogMonster

Interesting range of views, thanks. I live in the Falkland Islands, but I'd be bringing them down from the UK, delivery into a freight agent.

I might lean towards something new I think. Can't bear square wheels that won't balance, even though road speeds here are low (40mph is the max speed limit).

The Toyo and Roadcruza look interesting, thanks for the links. I want an AT towards the more aggressive end of the spectrum, though could end up with a mild MT instead. ---
2006 Defender 110 SW 300Tdi • 2011 Ford Ranger XLT crewcab • 2015 Defender 110 Station Wagon Utility TDCi
Post #1039408 7th Jul 2024 10:57pm
MadTom

Biggest problem with AT or MT tires is in winter. Here in central Europe I use proper winter tires, AT and MT are good in deep snow, but wet, cold and possible ice roads, or just hard packed snow results in "only straight through road crossings", or wery slow driving. "Drobek" = The Small One - Discovery 2, "Blufínek" = The Blue Thing - Defender 130, and for me at least Ford Mondeo Smile
Post #1039673 11th Jul 2024 6:37am
BogMonster

Despite the media perception, the Falklands is nowhere near enough "big winter" to justify full snow tyres. BFG ATs have been perfect for me for 20 years, the problem is they now cost quarter of a million quid each, otherwise I'd just get the same again. ---
Post #1039776 12th Jul 2024 10:46am
Chicken Drumstick

United Kingdom 
I’d just get one of the less expensive brands. The Maxxis Wormdrives are substantially cheaper. But I’d be willing to wager that the other brands are probably fine. Some are just other trading names of big tyre makers for the more budget end of the market.
Post #1039780 12th Jul 2024 11:22am
MadTom

I was just comparing BFG AT, remould copy od AT and proper winter tires. Here in central Europe the differece between winter tires and not too old BFG AT is huge, but remould tires are even worse, the rubber compound is much harder. It took me approx
50 km of winter driving to switch to winter tires , not to feel like riding on skates. Rmould copy of BFG AT was like a piece of stone in winter. "Drobek" = The Small One - Discovery 2, "Blufínek" = The Blue Thing - Defender 130, and for me at least Ford Mondeo Smile
Post #1039820 13th Jul 2024 6:39am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1