↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > lowering springs 2001 td5
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
mat430

United Kingdom 2001 Defender 90 2.5 TD Tomb Raider LE Bonatti Grey
lowering springs 2001 td5
Anyone recommend any lowering springs? idealy -2 inch so i can get it in the garage and so the wife can get in easier Very Happy

thanks
Post #1032386 22nd Apr 2024 10:21am
Crash7

United Kingdom 
Did you get anywhere with this? - I am also interested in a 2 inch drop but sourcing springs seem difficult
Post #1039444 8th Jul 2024 2:05pm
Linds Hanson

United Kingdom 
All lowering springs cause the axle to contact the bump stops on pot holes,sleeping policemen etc which can be a issue if mid corner at the time.
Post #1039463 8th Jul 2024 5:35pm
T140

Scotland 2007 Defender 90 Td5 HT Zambezi Silver
I have terra firma - 1" fitted to mine along with koni dampers and I am very pleased with them. nobody is perfect but being Scottish is a start
Post #1039464 8th Jul 2024 5:39pm
Crash7

United Kingdom 
Linds Hanson wrote:
All lowering springs cause the axle to contact the bump stops on pot holes,sleeping policemen etc which can be a issue if mid corner at the time.

This is not correct, without knowing the spring rates and damper configuration you cant make such a sweeping statement.
Post #1039620 10th Jul 2024 2:52pm
Mo Murphy

United Kingdom 1984 Defender 90 200 Tdi HT Pennine Grey
What set up would you suggest crash7 ?
Mo The Land Rover 90 - Many are called, few are chosen.
Post #1039626 10th Jul 2024 3:43pm
TexasRover

France 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Chawton White
Crash7 wrote:
Linds Hanson wrote:

This is not correct, without knowing the spring rates and damper configuration you cant make such a sweeping statement.

Apart from the fact that by having lowered your car the distance between the axle and bump stop is reduced and frankly its not all that much already. Sure if you put really stiff or progressive springs in there it might not hit the bumpstops but it will be uncomfortable.

You can just measure it up. What is the current clearance between the axle and bump stops and subtract 50mm (2"). Not much left I think
Post #1039628 10th Jul 2024 4:23pm
Chicken Drumstick

United Kingdom 
Crash7 wrote:
Linds Hanson wrote:

I don’t know about “all” but there is certainly a possibility. While Land Rovers have a lot of flex and suspension travel. A lot of it is in droop. Compression is limited by the bump stop. Lowering the vehicle will reduce how much compression travel you have. I’m sure some of the crashy nature of my 2020 Jimny was hitting the bump stops on standard suspension. Adding a 2” lift has massively improved this area. Obviously this is a different vehicle, but an example of a live axle 4x4 still.
Post #1039637 10th Jul 2024 5:46pm
Crash7

United Kingdom 
Mo Murphy wrote:
What set up would you suggest crash7 ?
Mo

I am not in a position to recommend, as I would only recommend based on first hand experience, otherwise its unfounded regurgitation of internet opinion.

I can however share what I know.

I have a mate who has lowered 1” using Britpart springs and standard dampers and has no issues.

A previous posted also confirmed a 1” drop on Terrafirma (Britpart) springs, and Koni dampers and reported no issues.

1” drop springs are readily available, Alive do Eibach, Urban do H&R both reputable brands and companies and from what I can gather are tried and tested solutions.

I am also aware of a 3” drop that was problematic, see link, said link also shows the defender bump stops and how if required they can be modified. – However its fair to say 3” did not work and is extreme – Juice do some good work and have first hand experience.

With the added spring dampeners, its probably dropped around 55mm so circa 2.2 inches

I am in the midst of trying to find the spring rates for the standard LR, Eibach & H&R springs.

2” inch springs used to be available, but seem to be less so now, however there are threads on this forum where owners have fitted them without issue, but I cannot speak to this any further.

Juice had the 3 inch drop springs manufactured by Full Flex Racing, I do not know the spring rates.

You also need to consider how you will be using your truck, its not as simple as setting up coilovers on a trackcar when you fundamentally have a known fixed weight in the car, as with a Defender it will depend upon how much load your carrying, are you towing etc, there is going to have to be a comprise.

Shocks dampen the springs movement, if your shock is capable and well setup and has the able to control compression you should only hit the bump stop in extreme situations, which is to be expected.

Ideally I would like a circa 40mm drop on fox dampers with a custom spring rate for my needs. – But I am still researching
Post #1039654 10th Jul 2024 9:18pm
chopcat

Wales 2000 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Java Black
I have the Alive road springs & shocks which you need to fit with the anti roll bars on. 2000 90.

Brilliant and no issues. Its like a go cart round roundabouts

Trevor
Post #1039655 10th Jul 2024 9:23pm
Chicken Drumstick

United Kingdom 
If you want a lower vehicle (as per the op) smaller tyres could be a sensible option too. I run 255/70R16’s which are a smidge shorter than a 31.10.50R15 but noticeable shorter than a 235/85. It makes getting in and out a lot easier. Lower roof line and less side wall for road use (probably slightly less weight too). But there are plenty of other options.

90’s used to come on a 205 x 16 which is only about 28.9” tall. This diameter with 1” lowering springs and some good dampers and updated bushes should make for a good road setup IMO.
Post #1039657 10th Jul 2024 10:34pm
Linds Hanson

United Kingdom 
Crash7 wrote:
Linds Hanson wrote:

So having fitted and tried all the branded ones over the last 40 years which ones have you found that do not hit the bump stops?
Post #1039699 11th Jul 2024 12:58pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1