↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > AC Kit installed but compressor not kicking in
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
doruk1981

Switzerland 2002 Defender 110 Td5 SW Coniston Green
AC Kit installed but compressor not kicking in
After getting Td5 finally on the road and also do some mild camping, I installed my aftermarket AC kit that's broadly available on lrparts.net etc. and plugged everything in accordingly (i mean there are only 4 plugs). The Headunit lights up green/blue but the compressor is not kicking in.
Is there something that I need to enable such as in the ECU via Mapping? or do we need to add a relays that sends signal after the ignition is set?

Given its getting warm, it would be nice to have AC in the car as well ...

many thanks for your shared knowledge

Doruk Td5 110 Station
Post #1039424 8th Jul 2024 9:08am
TexasRover

France 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Chawton White
For sure the ECU plays with the AC system. It switches on the fan and you can see it receiving AC compressor on signals on Nanocom. I don't know if you need this feature on, but first I would do some trouble shooting to ensure the electrics are working correctly. Also you can just apply 12v to the compressors coupling to force on the clutch briefly to check the AC is correctly working with gas etc.
Post #1039436 8th Jul 2024 10:35am
Penfold_6290

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Epsom Green
Hi, I am guessing the gas charge is adequate? I am pretty sure when I fitted AC to my 110 a few years ago I had to run new connections to the ECU connector as they didn't exist already. An extract from the electrical library is attached and the wiring diagram. It would be worth checking the wires mentioned are actually present otherwise the ECU doesn't know that it has to tell the AC to kick in. The ECU plug you're looking for is the black one not the oily red one!

I didn't have to change any programming, the ECU was already set up to run AC, but that might not always be the case because it was set up to allow cruise control too which I believe is also unusual.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #1039454 8th Jul 2024 3:03pm
MadTom

Czech Republic 1999 Defender 130 Td5 HCPU Baltic Blue
TD5 engine ECU controlls relays.for AC clutch and AC fan, and receives requests from AC "ecu" to switch these on. With Nanocom you cam test both outputs = switch ON for short burst, and monitor inputs. There is also tristate pressure switch preventing AC compressor from switching on in case of too low pressure (= no or low gas) or too high pressure (= to hot gas). "Drobek" = The Small One - Discovery 2, "Blufínek" = The Blue Thing - Defender 130, and for me at least Ford Mondeo Smile
Post #1039670 11th Jul 2024 6:12am
doruk1981

Switzerland 2002 Defender 110 Td5 SW Coniston Green
Thanks all for the great input. I will be heading through the lists to troubleshoot. Also, is 750g cooling agent correct? We googled and that number came up mostly…but id like to reconfirm to be certain. Td5 110 Station
Post #1039679 11th Jul 2024 7:30am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1